Old 05-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK
Angry Cosmos invaded!

There seem to be tiny little black bugs covering one of my cosmos, and it is slowly withering away. I have one plant in one trough and then another cosmos plant in a different trough which seems to be fine. I've noticed today that these little pests are starting to gather on some of the other plants near the affected cosmos.

Could anyone help with ideas on how to get rid of them/what they are? I do have a couple of photos, but didn't want to attach them here as I tried for a close up and they're fairly large, nearly 1MB.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:55 PM
JB

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:57:37 +0000, KellyD
wrote:

There seem to be tiny little black bugs covering one of my cosmos

Surely cosmos invaded should be by little green men? ;-)

Old 05-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Martin Sykes

--
KellyD

What part of the plant are they on? Mine are covered with pollen beetle at
the moment but as the name suggest, only in the centre of the flowers.
They're harmless though. Also, the bugs might not be the culprit. There
could be something else wrong.

You can't post pictures directly here anyway but you can post them to one of
the binary newsgroups or one of the photo sites and give us a link.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

/snip/

Could anyone help with ideas on how to get rid of them/what they are?
I do have a couple of photos, but didn't want to attach them here as I
tried for a close up and they're fairly large, nearly 1MB.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
KellyD

What part of the plant are they on? Mine are covered with pollen beetle at
the moment but as the name suggest, only in the centre of the flowers.
They're harmless though. Also, the bugs might not be the culprit. There
could be something else wrong.

You can't post pictures directly here anyway but you can post them to
one of
the binary newsgroups or one of the photo sites and give us a link.

And you can reduce the size of the file by saving it as a jpeg, and/or
opening 'Image' in your graphics program (most of them follow the same
form, to some extent) and click 'Resize' - a box should come up, and be
sure to do your maths correctly, or, if there's a suitable checkbox,
tick 'Preserve aspect ratio' or something similar.

If it is there, you only need divide one side by (say) two, or three,
and the other will adjust to ratio automatically, within a pixel or two.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sykes

What part of the plant are they on? Mine are covered with pollen beetle at
the moment but as the name suggest, only in the centre of the flowers.
They're harmless though. Also, the bugs might not be the culprit. There
could be something else wrong.

You can't post pictures directly here anyway but you can post them to one of
the binary newsgroups or one of the photo sites and give us a link.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )
Hope I've done this snipping between quotes thing right!

They are mainly on the 'stem', although there are a few elsewhere and as I said they are beginning to show on a few of the other plants as well now. The plant itself is looking fairly withered and I thought possibly these could be the reason for that. Below is the link to the two pics I've got. Thanks for your help!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...z/fb2d94fa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...z/c4c4b8be.jpg

Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from KellyD contains these words:

http://tinyurl.com/da8tg

Blackfly. (Aphids)

Spray them with an insecticide such as Sybol (from garden centres,
hardware shops, etc), or with one of the water-down and put in sprayer
type.

They will sap some strength, but their main danger is spreading diseases.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques d'Alltrades

Blackfly. (Aphids)

Spray them with an insecticide such as Sybol (from garden centres,
hardware shops, etc), or with one of the water-down and put in sprayer
type.

They will sap some strength, but their main danger is spreading diseases.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

OK, thanks! I do have some spray here, Bug Clear Gun, which says it covers blackfly so I'll give that a try. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Blackfly. (Aphids)

Spray them with an insecticide such as Sybol (from garden centres,
hardware shops, etc), or with one of the water-down and put in sprayer
type.

They will sap some strength, but their main danger is spreading diseases.

There seems to be an absolute plague of the things here at the moment. I've
got them on several plants I haven't noticed them on in other years. Main
annoyance is that they've attacked the very first flower shoot of a yucca I
planted last year. Happily there are several ladybirds and their larvae now
getting down to business as well, so I'm hoping the aphids won't do too
much damage before it has a chance to flower properly.

So much for feeding the birds all winter - the bluetits don't seem to be
paying any attention.

--
Sue

Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Blackfly. (Aphids)

Spray them with an insecticide such as Sybol (from garden centres,
hardware shops, etc), or with one of the water-down and put in sprayer
type.

They will sap some strength, but their main danger is spreading diseases.

There seems to be an absolute plague of the things here at the moment.

Here too. And, for what they're worth, precious few laydybirds too.

I've
got them on several plants I haven't noticed them on in other years. Main
annoyance is that they've attacked the very first flower shoot of a yucca I
planted last year. Happily there are several ladybirds and their larvae now
getting down to business as well, so I'm hoping the aphids won't do too
much damage before it has a chance to flower properly.

I've only seen a few ladybirds and larvae, all on teasels.

So much for feeding the birds all winter - the bluetits don't seem to be
paying any attention.

Tell them, Sue, tell them!