Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Campsis radicans

Campsis radicans, the "Trumpet Vine".
Anyone growing them?
I ask as a neighbour needs something up to about 10ft max to give some
privacy to their patio from a neighbour who has recently had an extension
with a 1st floor veranda. I was thinking of banging in some tall poles then
joining them across with wire or wood slats to make a frame and letting a
couple of Trumpet Vines in different colours (red & yellow) do their work.
Their garden faces South and is a sun trap so the vines should grow and
flower well and look spectacular.
Comments on my suggestion welcome.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
JennyC

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Campsis radicans, the "Trumpet Vine".
Anyone growing them?

Yes :~)
In fact its just coming into flower as we speak.......

I ask as a neighbour needs something up to about 10ft max to give some
privacy to their patio from a neighbour who has recently had an extension
with a 1st floor veranda. I was thinking of banging in some tall poles then
joining them across with wire or wood slats to make a frame and letting a
couple of Trumpet Vines in different colours (red & yellow) do their work.
Their garden faces South and is a sun trap so the vines should grow and
flower well and look spectacular.
Comments on my suggestion welcome.
Regards

I have mine growing up an old tree stump. It's just started to take of after
being there for about three years. it looks as if it might go a bit
rampant........ :~))

Its deciduous so won't give much cover in winter.

Site with more info: http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/camp_rad.cfm

Jenny

Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Campsis radicans, the "Trumpet Vine".
Anyone growing them?

Yes.

I ask as a neighbour needs something up to about 10ft max to give some
privacy to their patio from a neighbour who has recently had an extension
with a 1st floor veranda. I was thinking of banging in some tall poles then
joining them across with wire or wood slats to make a frame and letting a
couple of Trumpet Vines in different colours (red & yellow) do their work.
Their garden faces South and is a sun trap so the vines should grow and
flower well and look spectacular.

There is one slight problem. Campsis is like ivy - it has long, thin
shoots that climb high while it is attached to a wall or tree trunk,
and bushes out and flowers when it starts to waggle in the breeze.
Do the books say this? Like hell, they do.

It isn't a major problem, if you know it, because you can nail the
slats diagonally and train the stems up the slats. But, if you don't
do that, it won't grow the way you expect.

However, to check: the soil IS free-draining, isn't it? I don't
think that Campsis can take poor drainage.

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after Bob Hobden asked about it ((snip)):

There is one slight problem. Campsis is like ivy - it has long, thin
shoots that climb high while it is attached to a wall or tree trunk,
and bushes out and flowers when it starts to waggle in the breeze.
Do the books say this? Like hell, they do.

I'd noticed that on those few I've seen. Top heavy growth so to speak.
Delicate/carefull pruning should also help. (I've just given myself a job
!!!) :-(

It isn't a major problem, if you know it, because you can nail the
slats diagonally and train the stems up the slats. But, if you don't
do that, it won't grow the way you expect.

Good suggestion, thanks Nick.

However, to check: the soil IS free-draining, isn't it? I don't
think that Campsis can take poor drainage.

Good silt/clay loam, drainage isn't a problem usually around here as we are
over gravel beds. More plants die of draught than too much water here
(unless the Thames floods!) :-)

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.

They will appreciate something spectacular, and dare I say , unusual, in
that position.

Jenny, I appreciate it isn't evergreen but the problem is mainly a summer
one which is when my neighbours will use their patio most. That said, the
stems look pretty thickly intertwined on the ones I've seen so there will be
some winter privacy too.

Old 13-07-2005, 08:21 PM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed :~))

See my home page 'Plant of the Month - July"
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny

Old 13-07-2005, 11:12 PM
CK

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed :~))

See my home page 'Plant of the Month - July"
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny

I love Campsis, but when I grew it I always had a problem with earwigs
eating the flowers before they developed fully.
I found it difficult to manage with the flowers being high up, so eventually
took the campsis out!
Chris in Somerset

Old 14-07-2005, 09:44 AM
JW

Bob Hobden wrote:

Campsis radicans, the "Trumpet Vine".
Anyone growing them?
I ask as a neighbour needs something up to about 10ft max to give some
privacy to their patio from a neighbour who has recently had an extension
with a 1st floor veranda. I was thinking of banging in some tall poles then
joining them across with wire or wood slats to make a frame and letting a
couple of Trumpet Vines in different colours (red & yellow) do their work.
Their garden faces South and is a sun trap so the vines should grow and
flower well and look spectacular.
Comments on my suggestion welcome.

Get a good cultivar .
We have a straight C.radicans or possibly a 'common' cultivar that mum
planted in the S facing front garden probably about 15 years back. I
beleive it was from woolworths.

It has now taken up most of the front garden/wall.. Flowers are minimal.
It flowers at the ends of growth so needs room for its long long
tendrils.

It is what I would class as a 'rampant climber' in the same way as H.
helix species. Be wary of where you plant. It suckers and is deep
rooted. It will easily make the 10 foot ++++

Currently listed as a plant to treat with 'respect'...

JimW
--
Plants etc on Ebay
Check it out
Old 14-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Klara

In message , JennyC
writes
There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed :~))

See my home page 'Plant of the Month - July"
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It looks
very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could they
destroy every flower on something so large?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 14-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Klara writes:

| My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It looks
| very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
| drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could they
| destroy every flower on something so large?

No. Nor even on a small one.

Do the tops waggle free of support? Because it won't develop
flowering shoots until they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Klara

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
| My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It looks
| very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
| drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could they
| destroy every flower on something so large?

No. Nor even on a small one.

Do the tops waggle free of support? Because it won't develop flowering
shoots until they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick - I'll ask.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 14-07-2005, 12:44 PM
JW

CK . wanadoo.co.uk
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

There are, of course, lots of other suitable climbers, including
Clematis armandii. But Campsis is spectacular, as you say, given
the right conditions.
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed :~))

See my home page 'Plant of the Month - July"
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Jenny

I love Campsis, but when I grew it I always had a problem with earwigs
eating the flowers before they developed fully.
I found it difficult to manage with the flowers being high up, so eventually
took the campsis out!
Chris in Somerset

Chris... How do you take out a Campsis? We want rid of ours!

JimW

--
Plants etc on Ebay
Check it out
Old 14-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Klara

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
| My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It looks
| very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
| drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could they
| destroy every flower on something so large?

No. Nor even on a small one.

Do the tops waggle free of support? Because it won't develop flowering
shoots until they do.

They definitely waggle, she assures me.

From some of the other comments, though, does it begin to look as if
I've given her a poisoned chalice? Her garden is small...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 14-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Klara writes:

| My daughter in Norfolk has had one for three, maybe four years. It

looks
| very happy, but no sign of flowers so far. From this thread it could be
| drainage - but then would it look so happy - or earwigs - but could

they
| destroy every flower on something so large?

No. Nor even on a small one.

Do the tops waggle free of support? Because it won't develop
flowering shoots until they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It only really flowers well on newer growth coming from older woody
frameworks, as Nick says the flowering growth seems to need to be hanging
downwards. And down here will not flower unless in absolutely full sun, mine
is now flowering every year but took 10 years to start! the hybrid Mme Galen
is quicker but a lot more orange and does not self cling.
I have never seen flowers before mid to late August but it is generally a
lot cooler here and it may be in hotter parts it is earlier. (this said
indoors hiding from the heat!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-07-2005, 04:12 PM
JennyC

"JW" wrote

Chris... How do you take out a Campsis? We want rid of ours!
JimW

Whatever you do, be sure to remove ALL the roots.
I had one in a pot for a while........planted it out in the garden, bus a bit of
root must have been left behind in the pot.....I now have two :~))

Jenny

Old 14-07-2005, 07:06 PM
CK

"JW" wrote in message
CK . wanadoo.co.uk
wrote:

I love Campsis, but when I grew it I always had a problem with earwigs
eating the flowers before they developed fully.
I found it difficult to manage with the flowers being high up, so
eventually
took the campsis out!
Chris in Somerset

Chris... How do you take out a Campsis? We want rid of ours!

JimW

--
Plants etc on Ebay
Check it out
http://tinyurl.com/hi6g

You get it out with difficulty, as bits of root left behind will grow again!
I kept finding shoots for a couple of years!
Chris in Somerset

Campsis Radicans I.G.S. United Kingdom 1 24-12-2010 01:37 PM
Campsis and friend - PaperWasp1.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 02-08-2007 03:58 PM
Campsis and friend - PaperWasp2.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 0 02-08-2007 03:53 AM
Campsis radicans - TrumpetFlower.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 0 02-08-2007 03:49 AM
campsis radicans Gilli United Kingdom 14 25-01-2006 10:52 PM