Old 13-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default buddleia and butterflies

My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?
Tom Atkinson

Old 13-07-2005, 10:23 PM
ned

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have

this
experience ?

Tom,
'Can only speak for my neck of the woods, but the butterfly season
does seem to be out of kilter this year. We had a good show of Orange
Tips some weeks back and the meadows are alive with Meadow Browns and
Ringlets but,
I've only seen a couple of Red Admirals in the garden, and no Small
Torts, no Painted Ladys, no Commas as yet.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 13-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tom Atkinson" contains these
words:

My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?

No: my buddleia isn't out yet and the garden is fluttering with
butterflies. Seen recently: several different blues, one of them the
common blue; (Saw several holly blues earlier in the year); ringlet;
meadow brown; red admiral; tortoiseshell; fritillary; painted lady;
large white; orange tip; and loads and loads more large whites - they go
after my watercress.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Kay

In article , Tom Atkinson thomas@tho
masatkinson.wanadoo.co.uk writes
My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?

There are far fewer butterflies around now than 40 years ago. And round
here, this year doesn't seem to be particularly good for butterflies so
far - whether it's the wet or the cold I don't know.

Also, not all buddleias are attractive to butterflies - the nearer you
are to the pale purple that grows on wasteground, the better.

Finally, it's not much use expecting butterflies to flock to your
buddleia unless they're already in the area - which means you or your
neighbours need to grow a succession of flowers attractive to
butterflies, and also the food plants for their caterpillars.
--
Kay

Old 14-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:43:37 +0100, "Tom Atkinson"
wrote:

My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?

The exact opposite here!

Lot of hornets around this year too.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 14-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:
wrote:

My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?

The exact opposite here!

Lot of hornets around this year too.

I've been buzzed - well, deep-hummed more like - in an inquisitive way
several times by hornets this year. Old gold, with a Merlin engine...

Old 14-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Tom Atkinson
writes
My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?
Tom Atkinson

This year has been rather short on butterflies so far, but there were a
fair number of satyrids around when I was out walking today. (And my
buddleias are just coming out.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Hazel

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?
Tom Atkinson

I find Hebe's are much better for many insects includeing butterflies

Hazel

Old 15-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote

I've been buzzed - well, deep-hummed more like - in an inquisitive way
several times by hornets this year. Old gold, with a Merlin engine...

I had one come into my conservatory the other day. Caught it in a small pot
with the aid of a plastic coaster and let it out again.

Old 15-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Sue

"Tom Atkinson" wrote
My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?

Yes. Walked by two purple buddlejas basking in the sun in full flower the
other day and was disappointed to see nothing but one one tortoiseshell. My
pink one (forget the name) is butterfly bereft as well.

There are several little brown ones in the wild garden and I've had the odd
red admiral and tortoiseshell and one fleeting glimpse of what I thought
was a comma up by the house in the last few days. But definitely sparser
numbers than there used to be. Even the cabbage whites seem few and far
between so far.

--
Sue

Old 16-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Larry Stoter

Tom Atkinson wrote:

My buddleia is in full flower BUT NO butterflies. Anyone else have this
experience ?
Tom Atkinson

Butterflies definitely have preferences. We have ~15 buddleia bushes in
the garden, of various colours. They almost never touch the white
buddleia, similarly a very dark one. Even among the more 'standard'
colours, the butterflies are still picky.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 16-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Tom Atkinson

Since starting this thread , two small tortoiseshell butterflies graced me
with their presence today!!
Tom Atkinson
"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...