Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
John

Default DIY garden shed ?

Our potting shed will need replacing this year and if SWMBO gets her way
we'll be getting a summerhouse as well. I want good quality and am
considering building them myself. I've found shed/summerhouse plans for
sale (£15) at :

http://www.gardenbuildings.freeserve.co.uk/

Just wondered if anyone has used plans from this guy? Any good?

BTW - no connection whatsoever with the site.

TIA.
--
Regards,

John.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Peter Parry

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:35:00 +0000, John wrote:

Our potting shed will need replacing this year and if SWMBO gets her way
we'll be getting a summerhouse as well. I want good quality and am
considering building them myself. I've found shed/summerhouse plans for
sale (£15) at :

Plans? For a shed? Terminally sad creature you are. If you need
plans for a shed you will find uk.rec.sheds much more educational.

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old 07-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Dennis

"John" wrote in message
I want good quality and am
considering building them myself. I've found shed/summerhouse plans for
sale

No need to buy plans John, walk around a few garden centres.
Take a few notes, see how they do this bit and that bit,
modify for your own requirements.
And 'beef-up' pretty much everything.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Dennis

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:35:00 +0000, John wrote:

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

Yours might matey, I prefer a bit of forethought unless you want a shed
worthy
of the local council estate.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:32 PM
John

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:49:25 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Plans? For a shed? Terminally sad creature you are. If you need
plans for a shed you will find uk.rec.sheds much more educational.

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

Thank you Peter.

Were I new to usenet, your reply would probably have put me off posting
ever again. Thankfully I'm not and did expect clever OT replies to my post.

I've posted a genuine question and I'm totally mystified why people like
yourself choose to ridicule questions they consider "sad". Why not just
keep quiet?

And yes - I am aware of uk.rec.sheds and will not be posting my question
there. You really are determined frighten people away from usenet !

I will refrain from insults.
--
Regards,

John.(Terminally sad creature)

Old 07-03-2003, 11:32 PM
John

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:51:03 -0000, Dennis wrote:

No need to buy plans John, walk around a few garden centres.
Take a few notes, see how they do this bit and that bit,
modify for your own requirements.
And 'beef-up' pretty much everything.

Thanks Dennis.

I've considered exactly what you say but I'd really like to get it spot on
the first time. Like most DIY jobs I tackle, I wish I could do them the
*second* time and avoid the mistakes of the first time :-) Possibly a few
ideas/plans from an expert would save me a few headaches and wasted money -
don't know - that's why I'm asking about this particular offering.
--
Regards,

John.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from John contains these words:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:49:25 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Plans? For a shed? Terminally sad creature you are. If you need
plans for a shed you will find uk.rec.sheds much more educational.

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

Thank you Peter.

Were I new to usenet, your reply would probably have put me off posting
ever again. Thankfully I'm not and did expect clever OT replies to my post.

I've posted a genuine question and I'm totally mystified why people like
yourself choose to ridicule questions they consider "sad". Why not just
keep quiet?

And yes - I am aware of uk.rec.sheds and will not be posting my question
there. You really are determined frighten people away from usenet !

I will refrain from insults.

You really *are* a terminally sad humourless creature, aren't you!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 08-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Tony Morgan

In message , Dennis
writes

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:35:00 +0000, John wrote:

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

Yours might matey, I prefer a bit of forethought unless you want a shed
worthy
of the local council estate.

Forethought certainly, but buying *plans* ?
It's hardly rocket science - just four walls with cutouts/frames for
door(s) and window(s), and two roof panels (and you don't have to have
two of those).
--
Tony Morgan
Old 08-03-2003, 07:00 AM
bigegg

"John" wrote in message
Our potting shed will need replacing this year and if SWMBO gets her way
we'll be getting a summerhouse as well. I want good quality and am
considering building them myself. I've found shed/summerhouse plans for
sale (£15) at :

http://www.gardenbuildings.freeserve.co.uk/

Just wondered if anyone has used plans from this guy? Any good?

BTW - no connection whatsoever with the site.

No idea about above site, but take a look at:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/d...nks/Plans_Free
/S_listing/index-7.html

--
Big Egg

Old 08-03-2003, 08:46 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , John
writes
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:49:25 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Plans? For a shed? Terminally sad creature you are. If you need
plans for a shed you will find uk.rec.sheds much more educational.

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

See Christopher Alexander's Pattern Language for more details...

--
dave @ stejonda [Operation Tailwind never happened]

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//

Old 08-03-2003, 10:44 AM
mike

Have you looked at Norm's stuff?

http://www.newyankee.com/getcategory3.cgi?Garden

Elaborate and probably over-engineered but presumably good quality.

Alternatively, this is a good place to start for free plans:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/d...ks/Plans_Free/

BTW, I think Peter's post was meant to be read with a wry smile.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Mary Fisher

"John" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:49:25 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:

Plans? For a shed? Terminally sad creature you are. If you need
plans for a shed you will find uk.rec.sheds much more educational.

Sheds are not planned - they evolve (mainly from primordial slime and
some left over sheets of plywood).

Thank you Peter.

Were I new to usenet, your reply would probably have put me off posting
ever again. Thankfully I'm not and did expect clever OT replies to my

post.

I've posted a genuine question and I'm totally mystified why people like
yourself choose to ridicule questions they consider "sad". Why not just
keep quiet?

I think Peter's reply was intended to be humorous but I think too that his
first comment was uncalled for, unnecessary and impolite.

Unfortunately many sheds DO evolve from slime and leftovers but they are
usually inefficient and ugly. I wish you well in your ambition to build a
shed and do stick around. There are some extremely knowedgeable people here,
and helpful and friendly ones. Peter is usually one such ...

And yes - I am aware of uk.rec.sheds and will not be posting my question
there. You really are determined frighten people away from usenet !

I will refrain from insults.

Good for you.

Mary

Old 08-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Unfortunately many sheds DO evolve from slime and leftovers but they are
usually inefficient and ugly. I wish you well in your ambition to build a
shed and do stick around. There are some extremely knowedgeable people here,
and helpful and friendly ones. Peter is usually one such ...

And to slime they return ....

When we moved in, we had three sheds: the good, the bad and the ugly.

The last was an old chicken shed with a "foundation" of a single
layer of loose bricks - we demolished it with our bare hands, including
tearing the corrugated iron apart.

The second we used for years, as it leant over, yearning for the slime,
and burnt it a few years back. Its foundations were two layers of
loose bricks.

The third we moved, resoaked with creosote, reroofed and laid on paving
slabs and tanalised bearers. It was originally on poor-grade concrete,
which I broke up. At a guess, it is 50 years old and should last for
at least another 25, perhaps 50.

Because of this, I can't advise on buying sheds, but I can say that
not skimping on the foundations, preservative and roofing will make
a major difference to the life of a shed. Note that a foundation's
main purpose is to keep the ground wet away from the shed, and so
need only be a single layer of paving slabs and some 4"x2" heavily
treated bearers (yes, tanalised or equally toxic).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 PM
S Viemeister

Nick Maclaren wrote:

When we moved in, we had three sheds: the good, the bad and the ugly.

The last was an old chicken shed with a "foundation" of a single
layer of loose bricks - we demolished it with our bare hands, including
tearing the corrugated iron apart.

The second we used for years, as it leant over, yearning for the slime,
and burnt it a few years back. Its foundations were two layers of
loose bricks.

Wow! Your sheds had _foundations_? When _we_ moved in, we had three
sheds - one with no foundation, one with a wooden foundation, and one with
half concrete, half large slabs of slate.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , John
writes
Were I new to usenet,

Then you must be aware that, on usenet, you must be prepared for
*anything* to happen and learn to take the rough with the smooth as good
naturedly as possible instead of getting all hot and bothered under the
collar at what was, after all, an extremely mild jibe

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,