Old 17-07-2005, 06:20 PM
stevek

Default A hand scythe..??!!

Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access. Thanks for your help...

Steve K
Old 17-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

stevek wrote:
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access. Thanks for your help...

Isn't that a sickle?

Google gives me, amongst others:

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons....ffcea491672 c

and

http://www.fine-tools.com/garten.htm

Is this the sort of thing you were wanting?

Rhiannon
Old 17-07-2005, 06:56 PM
pammyT

"stevek" wrote in message
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access.

It's called a sickle.

Old 17-07-2005, 07:29 PM
shazzbat

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"stevek" wrote in message
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access.

It's called a sickle.

It's called a grass hook round here. The car boot sales are awash with them.
I got mine for 50p. The best one if you can find it is a cranked one, ie the
blade comes out of the handle, turns 90deg down, for an inch or so then
90deg up again so that you can cut close to the ground without ripping your
knuckles off. You may also get a *rubber* at the same car boot stall, it's
an oval section sharpening stone to go with it.

Steve

Old 17-07-2005, 07:35 PM
stevek

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons.com
and

http://www.fine-tools.com/garten.htm

Is this the sort of thing you were wanting?

Rhiannon

Just what I was looking for Rhiannon.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Old 17-07-2005, 07:54 PM
pammyT

"stevek" wrote in message
[...]

I have an ancient one found on myu land. The cottage is 140 years old and
was a teid farm cottage until I bought it. My sickle has a wooden handle and
a wicked curved serrated blade. I am given to understand it is around 100
years old. There is a big scythe embedded in a tree where someone hung it
over a low branch a long time ago and the branch grew round the scythe
blade.

Old 17-07-2005, 08:59 PM
ned

stevek wrote:
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me

clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online).

I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small

one to
help me clear a small area with poor access. Thanks for your

help...

Isn't that a sickle?

Google gives me, amongst others:

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons.com
and

http://www.fine-tools.com/garten.htm

Is this the sort of thing you were wanting?

Rhiannon

Just what I was looking for Rhiannon.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Just before you rush out and buy one, make sure that it has a fair bit
of weight in the blade. Wife bought a light weight one, 'suited to her
physique', and it is a complete waste of time. You need the weight to
assist with the follow through action. Also get one with a cranked
handle if at all possible.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 17-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:
"stevek" wrote in message

Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access.

It's called a sickle.

No 'snot. A sickle has a deeply curved blade - a hand-scythe has a Grim
Reaper type of scythe blade, but in miniature.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

Just before you rush out and buy one, make sure that it has a fair bit
of weight in the blade. Wife bought a light weight one, 'suited to her
physique', and it is a complete waste of time. You need the weight to
assist with the follow through action. Also get one with a cranked
handle if at all possible.

Also, cut a stick like this:

\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\ ||
\\ ||
\\||
\_|

Use it to lift loose grass and weeds, hold brambles and nettles, or as
a guard for your shins if you are cutting towards yourself.

Old 17-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Just before you rush out and buy one, make sure that it has a fair bit
of weight in the blade. Wife bought a light weight one, 'suited to her
physique', and it is a complete waste of time. You need the weight to
assist with the follow through action. Also get one with a cranked
handle if at all possible.

Also, cut a stick like this:

\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\
\\ ||
\\ ||
\\||
\_|

Use it to lift loose grass and weeds, hold brambles and nettles, or as
a guard for your shins if you are cutting towards yourself.

And wear a thick glove on your other hand to protect it should it get in the
way.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 19-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Sue

"shazzbat" wrote
"stevek" wrote .
It's called a sickle.

It's called a grass hook round here.

snip

My dad would call it a "reap hook".

Old 19-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Teleman

"stevek" wrote in message
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access.

It's called a sickle.

Wont a machette do just a good?

Old 19-07-2005, 09:23 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 shazzbat wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access.

It's called a sickle.

It's called a grass hook round here.

Also bagging-hook and fagging-hook.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 19-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Jim Scott

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:20:46 +0100, stevek wrote:

Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online). I'm not
looking for one of those giant "grim reaper" one!!! Just a small one to
help me clear a small area with poor access. Thanks for your help...

Steve K

A grass hook is what you want for that job as here
http://www.dealclick.co.uk/product/1...-sickle-RZ.php
You cut with the blade using your wrist a lot. A stout stick is a must for
lifting the grass and protecting your ankles.
A sickle with a curved blade will be more expensive and although it will do
the job it is designed for jobs where chopping is involved eg layering
hedges.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 19-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Janet Baraclough

"stevek" wrote in message
Hi people...

Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hand scythe to help me clear a
rather overgrown area in my garden. (From a UK shop or online).

Spear and Jackson make them, I have one and it works fine. Get a
rounded sharpener because you need to sharpen often to keep it keen.

Janet