Old 08-03-2003, 04:59 PM
eddy

Default Bird nesting boxes

whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:57 PM
ned

eddy wrote:
whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

1. ........... It all depends.
High enough or well defended enough to deter predators.
Dunnocks and tits are happy enough to nest only dive feet up in dense
hedges. Thrushes and blackbirds usually choose higher nests in more
open trees. Robins are opportunists and will nest in all sorts of odd
places. I have two boxes which are so well hidden that I can't see
them. I figure they appreciate privacy.
2. Re young pigeons. They spend longer in the nest than many
fledglings and therefore appear to be more mature when they leave.
3. 'Lucky, I guess. We have more tree sparrows than house sparrows.
But then, we have more trees than houses. :-)

--
ned

Old 09-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Chalfont

"eddy" wrote in message
whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/nestb...stbox.asp?Feat
ureID=26021&ComponentID=26059&SourcePageID=26042#1

Old 09-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Joe

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 at 18:04:02 Chalfont wrote:

"eddy" wrote in message
.. .
whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/nestb...stbox.asp?Feat
ureID=26021&ComponentID=26059&SourcePageID=26042# 1

Sparrows are still very scarce in our part of SW London. We have not
seen Ring Necked Doves since last year. A pair of chaffinches have
recently taken to visit us, feeding on the lawn beneath the sunflower
feeders, but despite offering nyger, we have never ever seen a goldfinch
in these parts.

Joe

Old 10-03-2003, 10:56 AM

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
: On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 at 18:04:02 Chalfont wrote:
:
: .. .
http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/nestb...estbox.asp?Fea

: ureID=26021&ComponentID=26059&SourcePageID=26042# 1
:
: Sparrows are still very scarce in our part of SW London. We have not
: seen Ring Necked Doves since last year. A pair of chaffinches have
: recently taken to visit us, feeding on the lawn beneath the sunflower
: feeders, but despite offering nyger, we have never ever seen a goldfinch
: in these parts.
:
: Joe
:
I'm in the Twickenham area and we have sparrows and plenty of collared
doves. We have 6 feeders in our small garden and this year we have about 9
goldfinches eating the mixed seed and even the peanuts. We don't have
nyger. We regularly get about 15-16 different species of bird each week.

I don't know if anybody has answered the query about the baby wood pigeons
as I've only just come into this thread but you probably don't notice them
because they are they don't leave the nest until they are fully grown but
you can tell they are young as they do not have the white 'flash' at the
side of the neck that the adult birds have.. The young collared doves are
also the same size as the adults but do not have the collar.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Michael Berridge

eddy wrote in message ...
whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

Mine is about 6' high on a wall and is currently a great source of
interest to a pair of bluetits, they keep going and looking in, but have
not seen any nesting activity yet.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Joe

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 at 10:54:50 K wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
: On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 at 18:04:02 Chalfont wrote:
:
: "eddy" wrote in message
: .. .
[...]

Are you close to a park, large gardens, or wooded area? I'm in 'Old'
Malden; while we see lots of Greenfinches we are short of all other
finches and sparrows.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 AM

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..
: On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 at 10:54:50 K wrote:
:
: : Sparrows are still very scarce in our part of SW London. We have not
: : seen Ring Necked Doves since last year. A pair of chaffinches have
: : recently taken to visit us, feeding on the lawn beneath the sunflower
: : feeders, but despite offering nyger, we have never ever seen a
goldfinch
: : in these parts.
: :
: : Joe
: :
[...]
: --
We have a school field at the end of the road and a sports field next to
that and we have quite a lot of large trees around here including a few
large cedars as this area was the Duke of Argyle's estate many moons ago.

We used to get a lot of greenfinches, but then they disappeared for about 10
yrs. Now, in the last couple of years, they are back.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
eddy

anyone have any siskins ?
theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
but i havent seen any.
what areas are they located in ???
they seem to like Tescos car parks due to the bushes they plant

Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Larry Stoter

eddy wrote:

whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

Size and shape of opening need to be considered - Blue Tits can use
smaller holes than Great Tits, Robins prefer an open front. House
Sparrows like to nest in small groups - a box with several separate
compartments will be very attractive.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 11-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , eddy
writes

anyone have any siskins ?

Jill has lots in Derbyshire and Jane has some in Lancashire.

theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
but i havent seen any.
what areas are they located in ???
they seem to like Tescos car parks due to the bushes they plant

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 12-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , eddy
writes

anyone have any siskins ?

Jill has lots in Derbyshire and Jane has some in Lancashire.

theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
but i havent seen any.
what areas are they located in ???

We've got lots, mostly feeding on peanuts.

Janet (Isle of Arran)
Old 12-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from eddy contains these words:

anyone have any siskins ?
theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
but i havent seen any.
what areas are they located in ???
they seem to like Tescos car parks due to the bushes they plant

We had a couple of siskins in the garden (Perth, Scotland) this morning.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Serena Blanchflower

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:22:42 +0000, eddy wrote:

anyone have any siskins ?
theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
but i havent seen any.
what areas are they located in ???
they seem to like Tescos car parks due to the bushes they plant

I've got a flock of around half a dozen on my feeders - in Hampshire.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)
Old 12-03-2003, 03:56 PM

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...
: On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:22:42 +0000, eddy wrote:
:
: anyone have any siskins ?
: theres supposed to be a load arrived in the UK
: but i havent seen any.
: what areas are they located in ???
: they seem to like Tescos car parks due to the bushes they plant
:
: I've got a flock of around half a dozen on my feeders - in Hampshire.
:
: --
: Cheers, Serena
:
: Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)

We had one in SW London a week or so ago.

Major pollarding of full grown tree(s) - in bird-nesting season [email protected] United Kingdom 5 22-05-2015 03:26 PM
nesting boxes lowlife United Kingdom 1 08-02-2007 10:26 AM
Bird boxes Emm18 United Kingdom 5 29-04-2005 07:45 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Bird Nesting Materials and other stuff Susan H. Simko North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM