Old 14-07-2008, 07:20 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
JS JS is offline

Default Asian pear question

I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th century).
According the information I found on the internet, the harvest time for the fruits is mid-August,
Does this mean they become totally ripened at that time? or it is time to pick them up, and bring inside
the house - to prevent insect damage ?

I have noticed last year that insects destroyed several fruits. Does this mean I picked them too late
in the season?

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY
Old 14-07-2008, 07:31 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

JS wrote:
I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century).
According the information I found on the internet, the harvest time
for the fruits is mid-August,
Does this mean they become totally ripened at that time? or it is
time to pick them up, and bring inside
the house - to prevent insect damage ?

I pick Heifers while they are still firm but changing color. We can
ours so they need to be firm anyway to can. We usually can over a 2
week period.

Tom J

Old 14-07-2008, 08:04 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
JS JS is offline

"Tom J" wrote in message
m...
JS wrote:
I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th century).
According the information I found on the internet, the harvest time
for the fruits is mid-August,
Does this mean they become totally ripened at that time? or it is
time to pick them up, and bring inside
the house - to prevent insect damage ?

I pick Heifers while they are still firm but changing color. We can ours
so they need to be firm anyway to can. We usually can over a 2 week
period.

Tom J

Tom, I started to see some of the fruits got damaged by insects already.
Do you have such problem on yours? I picked one yesterday, and it appeared
to taste almost ready -- sweet taste !! Perhaps , that is the reason why
there is issues with insects?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Old 14-07-2008, 09:26 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
m...
JS wrote:
I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century). According the information I found on the internet, the
harvest time for the fruits is mid-August,
Does this mean they become totally ripened at that time? or it is
time to pick them up, and bring inside
the house - to prevent insect damage ?

I pick Heifers while they are still firm but changing color. We
can
ours so they need to be firm anyway to can. We usually can over a 2
week period.

Tom J

Tom, I started to see some of the fruits got damaged by insects
already. Do you have such problem on yours? I picked one yesterday,
and it appeared to taste almost ready -- sweet taste !! Perhaps ,
that is the reason why there is issues with insects?

I've never had a bad insect problem. just a worn once in a while. If
you have a sweet taste already & fully formed pears, I'd say it's
picking time!! My Kiefers are not through growing yet. Note correct
spelling of the Kiefer.

Tom J

Old 15-07-2008, 03:27 AM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

On Jul 14, 1:26 pm, "Tom J" wrote:
JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
om...
JS wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tom I was wondering and amazed at pears so big that you
could call them Heifers! grinning
Emilie

Old 16-07-2008, 02:11 AM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
JS JS is offline

Tom, I posted one of the hosui that I believe is damaged by insects. I
would love
to hear your comments.
Here is the image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2809wn.jpg
I cleaned it all out, and then it was very sweet and tasty though !!

I also have a 20th-century pear which so far I don't have an "insect"
problem yet. Here is the image: http://i36.tinypic.com/zjxu89.jpg

JIMMY

"Tom J" wrote in message
JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
m...

Old 16-07-2008, 02:18 AM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

JS wrote:
Tom, I posted one of the hosui that I believe is damaged by
insects. I would love
to hear your comments.
Here is the image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2809wn.jpg
I cleaned it all out, and then it was very sweet and tasty though
!!

Just as I expected. These are ready for harvesting now.

I also have a 20th-century pear which so far I don't have an
"insect"
problem yet. Here is the image: http://i36.tinypic.com/zjxu89.jpg

These haven't started changing color yet. They are still green and
insects are like us, they don't like green fruit for the most part.

Tom J

Old 17-07-2008, 01:32 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
JS JS is offline

Rick, you may be right. There are a lot of birds on my backyard.
I also have seen similar problem with my ripening tomatoes .
Any idea(s) to prove this hypothesis as I may have blamed the wrong
intruder here.

Thanks,

JIMMY

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:11:43 -0500, "JS" wrote:

Tom, I posted one of the hosui that I believe is damaged by insects. I
would love
to hear your comments.
Here is the image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2809wn.jpg
I cleaned it all out, and then it was very sweet and tasty though !!

This looks more like bird damage to me. I can always tell when to
pick my Asian Pears- It's the day before the birds peck them!
-Rick

I also have a 20th-century pear which so far I don't have an "insect"
problem yet. Here is the image: http://i36.tinypic.com/zjxu89.jpg

JIMMY

"Tom J" wrote in message
JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
m...

Old 17-07-2008, 10:15 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
I3 I3 is offline

Take a laddered-pair of pantihose and cover the tomatoes. Attach some
strands of tin-foil and your problem will go. Birds hate it, and they
cannot get their feet to attach to the pantihose.

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:11:43 -0500, "JS" wrote:

Tom, I posted one of the hosui that I believe is damaged by
insects. I
would love
to hear your comments.
Here is the image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2809wn.jpg
I cleaned it all out, and then it was very sweet and tasty though !!

This looks more like bird damage to me. I can always tell when to
pick my Asian Pears- It's the day before the birds peck them!
-Rick

I also have a 20th-century pear which so far I don't have an "insect"
problem yet. Here is the image: http://i36.tinypic.com/zjxu89.jpg

JIMMY

"Tom J" wrote in message
JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
m...

Old 19-07-2008, 08:10 AM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

JS wrote:

I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century).According the information I found on the internet, the harvest time
for the fruits is mid-August,Does this mean they become totally ripened at
that time? or it is time to pick them up, and bring insidethe house - to
prevent insect damage ? I have noticed last year that insects destroyed
several fruits. Does this mean I picked them too latein the season? Thanks in
advance, JIMMY

Jimmy,

Pears are a fruit that should be rippened off the tree. After they start
to feel a bit soft at the stem, take them inside and let them ripen off
the tree.

Sherwin

Old 19-07-2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit,sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

JS wrote:

I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century).According the information I found on the internet, the harvest time
for the fruits is mid-August,Does this mean they become totally ripened at
that time? or it is time to pick them up, and bring insidethe house - to
prevent insect damage ? I have noticed last year that insects destroyed
several fruits. Does this mean I picked them too latein the season? Thanks in
advance, JIMMY

Jimmy,

Pears are a fruit that should be rippened off the tree. After they start
to feel a bit soft at the stem, take them inside and let them ripen off
the tree.

Asian pears, unlike European pears, are crisp when ripe and don't need
to be ripened off the tree like European pears. They don't develop the
woody granular structures (sclerids) that European pears do, nor do they
develop the melting, buttery texture that has been standard in European
pears since the 18th century.

The best way to figure out when your pears are ripe is to try fruit at
different stages and decide which you like best. Ripening dates are an
average for a particular region, and weather and microclimate can make
a substantial difference. Your backyard is probbly quite different in
microclimate from a commercial orchard.

Another poster suggested that the damage was due to birds not insects.
You can get plastic bird netting at garden centres to drape over your
trees if they aren't too large. In Japan, where people are willing to
pay amazing amounts for perfect, pesticide-free fruit, growers bag each
fruit individually to protect it from damage as it grows. The bags are
made of that light porous row cover material, or light cloth. This may be
practical for a few backyard trees. Don't use plastic bags, or you'll
cook the fruit!

Enjoy your harvest!

Old 23-07-2008, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit,sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
In article ,
sherwindu wrote:
JS wrote:

[...]

I have had only limited experience with Asian Pears, my tree died after
a few years. You may be right about rippening them off the tree.
However, I disagree about putting plastic over them cooking them. I put
ziplock bags on my European Pears and Apples with no problems. Maybe
the fact that I cut slits in the bottom to drain rain water alos vents them.

Sherwin
Old 31-07-2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit,sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible

Rick wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:09:22 -0500, Sherwin

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:
JS wrote:

[...]

I had heard about the waxed paper bags the Japanese use, but could not
find them here. I think I'll try the zip lock bags. You just cut a
small slit in the bag at the bottom?

Works great for me. Yes, you need the slit (I do one on each side of the bag)
to let the rain water drain out. Put the bags on early, as soon as the fruit is
easy to identify. I pick the largest and healthiest fruit in a cluster and cut off
the others. This kind of thinning will produce large fruit and will put less
stress on the tree.

Sherwin