Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
icius

Default Help with new roses for newbie

Hello all,

Until this weekend I had never planted a rose before and am hoping I
did things right. I bought a bush for my wife for Mother's Day. I
planted a potted plant marked "Hybrid Tea Rose - Opening Night -
Jacolber PP# 11265". I followed the instructions that came with it and
did some research on the side as well. Here is what I did:

1. Dug a circular hole approx 2 feet in diameter and 1 1/2 feed deep.

2. Build up the bottom of the hole with soil so that the bud union
would be above ground after planting.

3. Filled in the hole with Miracle-Gro Rose Mix soil.

4. Added about 2 gallons of water.

5. Topped off the hole with the Miracle-Gro and layer of Peat Moss.

6. Watered again briefly.

I missed watering last night and planned on watering this evening again
and every day for a week as per the instructions.

Let's just say at this point she is not looking happy. The original
bush had 6 blooms on it already ranging from just opening to fully
open. The newest bloom seems to have died immediately. Now the other
blooms are wilting heavily. The leaves seem ok at the moment. I
really want to keep this bush healthy as it now has sentimental value.

Other than watering heavily every night for the rest of the week, is
there something else I should be doing or something I missed?

I took some pictures of it. The first picture is a front view and shows
the whole plant. The second picture is close to the ground showing the
cane structure. The third is a top view showing the planting bed.

Any help or advice would be great. Maybe I am worrying too much. What
should I do about the spent and dead blooms? Should I prune this soon
after a new planting?

http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~klaumphoto/roses/roses3.jpg

Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
JimS.

"icius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Until this weekend I had never planted a rose before and am hoping I
did things right. I bought a bush for my wife for Mother's Day. I
planted a potted plant marked "Hybrid Tea Rose - Opening Night -
Jacolber PP# 11265". I followed the instructions that came with it and
did some research on the side as well. Here is what I did:

1. Dug a circular hole approx 2 feet in diameter and 1 1/2 feed deep.

2. Build up the bottom of the hole with soil so that the bud union
would be above ground after planting.

3. Filled in the hole with Miracle-Gro Rose Mix soil.

4. Added about 2 gallons of water.

5. Topped off the hole with the Miracle-Gro and layer of Peat Moss.

THIS might have not been a good idea. Usually they say not to fertilize
when you plant the rose. Don't fertilize again till it stabilizes. You
might try fish emulsion too, it's hard to over-fertilize with fish-gut
juice. You can get it at Home Depot for example.

6. Watered again briefly.

Any help or advice would be great. Maybe I am worrying too much. What
should I do about the spent and dead blooms? Should I prune this soon
after a new planting?

You're probably worrying too much. NO, do not prune it. Quite possibly
just has shock from the transplant. Roses are actually pretty hardy and
although it may die back a little I'll bet it's not going to croak. Relax.
It'll probably stabilize soon.

BTW... although I don't have that rose, I did see it in the International
Rose Test Garden in Portland, OR. To me, it really stood out as one of the
most beautiful. It was on my "short list" out of literally hundreds. Nice
choice, hope it pulls through for you. I'll bet it will do just fine.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Patrick Scheible

"icius" writes:

[...]

One thing that would really help is knowing where you are and what the
weather has been like.

Watering every day may be overkill. I watered transplanted roses
every 2-3 days at first, tapering off after they've been in the ground
for a few weeks. But that depends how hot it is there and if you get
any rain in addition to watering. I'm in Seattle where it's usually
cool.

Transplanting is always a little bit of a shock. Roots get minor
damage. Expect the plant to sulk a little, maybe even loose many of
its leaves. If all goes well it will grow them back very soon. I
wouldn't worry unless the leaves look sick -- rust, blackspot, etc.,
or if all of them fall off and new ones don't start growing.

You can add vitamin B to the water, if you haven't been. That reduces
transplant shock. See a nursery, they probably sell it in a liquid
form that you mix with the water.

What kind of soil do you have surrounding the hole you dug? If it's
clay that holds water it might be getting standing water at the bottom
of the hole.

-- Patrick

Old 11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
icius

Ok, thanks for the replies! Let's see, there were a few questions in
there. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. I thought I saw someone in
Philadelphia say they were in Zone 6?? Not sure what the climate zones
mean or if Pittsburgh is the same. Temperatures have been in the 80s
since I planted and this plant is getting sun all day long. No rain
since planting.

The soil around the hole was absolute solid clay. It was a real bear
to dig. I didn't read about proper drainage until after the planting
so I may have erred there. It is mostly the best soil from the top of
the dig on the bottom now with the Miracle-Gro mix on top to fill the
rest of the hole. Should I try to do anything about it now?

I will see if I can get some vitamin B for the next watering.

As far as the plant goes, it looks worse today. The leaves near the
blooms are starting to turn brown and curl, the flowers themselves
continue to wilt. Just looking at it I would say it is dying of
thirst, but I watered the heck out of it last night so it isn't for
lack of water. I hope the Miracle-Gro didn't burn out the roots.

I nice to hear that I picked a nice breed...it was one of those "I'll
take the pretty red one" situations so it was a lucky grab...hope I
can keep it alive long enough to see it in its glory.

It is supposed to rain tonight so I am going to skip the watering.
Definitely going to put the pruning shears in a drawer. I will let it
go for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Adam

Old 12-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Henry

icius wrote:
Ok, thanks for the replies! Let's see, there were a few questions in
there. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. I thought I saw someone in
Philadelphia say they were in Zone 6?? Not sure what the climate zones
mean or if Pittsburgh is the same. Temperatures have been in the 80s
since I planted and this plant is getting sun all day long. No rain
since planting.

Pittsburgh is in zone 5b, I'd say. That means it's colder in the winter
than Philadelphia, which is in zone 6b. The USDA Hardiness Zone system
(see: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/index.html) really only deals
with the harshness of the winters. The idea is that a plant that can
take (for instance) minimum winter temperatures down to between -10 to
-20 degrees F (that's -23.4 and -28.8 degrees C) are said to be hardy to
zone 5. Each hardiness zone covers a 10 degree F range so here, where
the minimum temperature doesn't go below 0 F (-17.7 C) is zone 7. The
"a" and "b" divide each zone in half.

One real problem with the hardiness zone system is that the heat of the
summer plays a bit role in how well many plants do and the zones don't
take that into account. But, for the most part, it is a useful measure
of how far north a plant will grow. Dr. Marc Cathey, the former
director of the National Arboretum and now President Emeritus of the
American Horticultural Society (http://www.ahs.org/) has come up with
something called Heat Zones which deal with that aspect of plant
hardiness. (See: http://www.ahs.org/publications/heat_zone_map.htm)

The soil around the hole was absolute solid clay. It was a real bear
to dig. I didn't read about proper drainage until after the planting
so I may have erred there. It is mostly the best soil from the top of
the dig on the bottom now with the Miracle-Gro mix on top to fill the
rest of the hole. Should I try to do anything about it now?

Of course, I cannot see what you have but when you water, are you just
putting down a gallon or two or are you letting it soak for a good long
time? When you water, particularly with a newly planted shrub, you want
to give it a good soaking so that water reaches the bottom of the hole
and beyond. Put the hose on it at a trickle and let it go for a half
hour or more. Then don't water it again until it starts to look dry.
Curling leaves are more likely from stress related from too little water
than too much (which might cause the to drop but not brown and curl).
So, don't water so often but water thoroughly.

As far as the plant goes, it looks worse today. The leaves near the
blooms are starting to turn brown and curl, the flowers themselves
continue to wilt. Just looking at it I would say it is dying of
thirst, but I watered the heck out of it last night so it isn't for
lack of water. I hope the Miracle-Gro didn't burn out the roots.

Or maybe not. You are the one there so you'll have to decide.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. If it does happen to die,
please don't give up on roses. They really aren't as hard to grow as it
sounds and they are well worth the small amount of effort they do take.

--
Henry

Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Patrick Scheible

"icius" writes:

Ok, thanks for the replies! Let's see, there were a few questions in
there. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. I thought I saw someone in
Philadelphia say they were in Zone 6?? Not sure what the climate zones
mean or if Pittsburgh is the same. Temperatures have been in the 80s
since I planted and this plant is getting sun all day long. No rain
since planting.

The soil around the hole was absolute solid clay. It was a real bear
to dig. I didn't read about proper drainage until after the planting
so I may have erred there. It is mostly the best soil from the top of
the dig on the bottom now with the Miracle-Gro mix on top to fill the
rest of the hole. Should I try to do anything about it now?

I wouldn't dig it up again now. The rose will probably be fine after
a couple of weeks, and it'd be more likely to injure it further.

But next time you dig a hole, try filling the hole with water and see
how long it takes to drain. If it takes an hour, maybe dig deeper and
see if you can get through the clay layer? I have no idea how thick
the clay is in Pittsburgh soils... Might be a case where you should
ask at a good local nursery, agricultural extension service, or rose
society.

I will see if I can get some vitamin B for the next watering.

As far as the plant goes, it looks worse today. The leaves near the
blooms are starting to turn brown and curl, the flowers themselves
continue to wilt. Just looking at it I would say it is dying of
thirst, but I watered the heck out of it last night so it isn't for
lack of water. I hope the Miracle-Gro didn't burn out the roots.

It really sounds like transplant shock. I'd still bet it'll be okay
in a couple of weeks. Definitely don't prune, but just take off dead
leaves or blooms.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Gail Futoran

"icius" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's probably getting stressed out from the transplanting,
heat and sun. Hard to know what to do at this point
since the browning of leaves is problemmatic. You
might try the soil wetness finger test - just stick your
finger in the soil about 2" and if the soil is still wet
don't water more until it dries out a bit.

I wouldn't do anything about changing the soil it's
in now; that would just stress it more. Hopefully the
watering might dilute the fertilizer in the soil, assuming
the Miracle-Gro soil came with fertilizer (I've never
used it so I don't know).

Here's a link to hardiness zones:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hardiness.htm

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 17-05-2005, 04:53 PM

I live in FL where it is very sunny and very warm to hot. We only water
our roses in the morning so that the sun will dry the leaves preventing
most of the fungus. I also never water 'over the top' only underneath
in the 'well' that I encircle each bush with= again FL= sandy soils and
HOT evaporation. Others can explain the fungicide/ food regimen better
than I.
I thought that your planting technique was excellent- I doubt that I'm
that fastidious when I plant each bush!

Old 18-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered User

It is declared to rain tonight so I am traveling to skip the watering. Definitely traveling to put the pruning shears in a drawer. I will let it go for a few canicule and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
Unique Hydroponics

Newbie Question - How to start growing roses? Tom The Great Lawns 8 14-08-2006 02:19 PM
Help! Newbie to roses! dave weil Roses 1 26-01-2005 12:00 AM
Some questions for growing roses. Newbie who doesn't know much. Matt Roses 6 02-08-2004 07:22 AM
newbie help - new 50 gal pond jel Ponds 5 01-07-2003 07:44 PM
Newbie still discovering things about my new (old) roses Paul Reynolds Roses 2 05-05-2003 10:20 AM