Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 AM

my kitty catches only rabbits that I ever see. I don't think he is
really interested in birds, and there aren't any native species within a
kilometre or 2 from the house. He does have a pair of honey eaters
that follow him around all day squarking. You know when the cat is
coming as the birds are not far away. And I saw him trying to catch a
willy-wagtail and he came off second best and won't go near them now.
When he wanders past the chooks they freak a bit. I guess as he is
ginger he looks a bit like a little fox. Well he weighs 6kg so not that
little.

Darren

Stephen Oakes wrote:
"Rod Out Back" wrote...

Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't understand people allowing their pets
to wander around doing what comes naturally - ie hunting. I don't like
cats, but I don't blame them. It's their owners, who to me seem either
very unaware or very selfish.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Me too.

I am happy to keep our cat very fat, but I bet he still catches wildlife
sometimes.

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 AM
John Savage

Joel Little writes:
Thanks for the replies all. I was planning on constructing a lock-up for
them, but was concerned about cats getting at them during the day too. I
guess I'll just have to see how they fare.

My thoughts are that well-fed neighbourhood cats will probably show close
interest in the chooks, and may at first chase them, but probably will
not injure them. However, having strange cats stalking them day after day
may well put the chooks off laying.

If cats are going to do damage, it would most likely be feral/abandoned
cats and these generally emerge only after dusk, so provided the chooks
are securely locked up by late afternoon, probably no problems. However,
the suburbs of modern cities are home to many foxes. Although these have
evolved a cloak of invisibity to humans, and fare well on pet food and
scraps from bins, they have retained an appetite for fresh chicken.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Doyley

John Savage wrote:

If cats are going to do damage, it would most likely be feral/abandoned
cats and these generally emerge only after dusk,

Evening All,

I've seen cat-threads in this group take some bizarre and nasty turns,
and at the risk of setting off another such, I feel I must add another
2c worth before I shut-up.

John, I agree that ferals/abandoned cats (and there is a difference) do
commit a great deal of damage, unfortunately dusk also brings out hordes
of house cats whose owners must have no awareness of what their pets get
up to (for no considerate, respectful person would allow it to continue
if they were aware of it!). From leaving disease-ridden excrement all
over neighbours' gardens, to spraying foul scent over cars, front doors,
steps, etc, to dismembering baby possums, these house cats are very bad
news for anyone except their owners.

D wrote:
my kitty catches only rabbits that I ever see. I don't think he is
really interested in birds, and there aren't any native species within a
kilometre or 2 from the house.

Cause and effect, D? How can you be so blase about what you cat is doing
when you can't see it?

Stephen Oakes wrote:

I am happy to keep our cat very fat, but I bet he still catches wildlife
sometimes.

And Stephen, have you perhaps considered doing something to prevent the
destruction continuing?????

OK, that's enough. I'll go away now.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Stephen Oakes

"Doyley" wrote...
And Stephen, have you perhaps considered doing something to prevent the
destruction continuing?????

Do you mean kill the cat?

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Stephen Oakes wrote:
"Doyley" wrote...

And Stephen, have you perhaps considered doing something to prevent the
destruction continuing?????

Do you mean kill the cat?

Stephen,

Certainly not - my original reply-post indicates that I feel the cats
are only doing what cats do, and are not to blame.

However, there are ways of preventing cats from roaming - the enclosed
cat-run mentioned by Rod Out Back is one. Unfortunately, very expensive.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Lindsay

John Savage wrote:

"peter" writes:
"SG1" wrote in message
news
Equal parts prime mince & snail bait (powdered) NOT the pet friendly one
the one with the warning. Use only at your place.

Surely your not serious..That is just wrong. pete

Pete: Why? If the owner of the cat kept it on it's own property, they'd
be no problem.

There was a short item, I think on ABC "landline" that some organization
(I'll credit the CSIRO in the absence of information to the contrary) has
developed a poison bait that is specific for feral cats.

John: I think you'll find it's for feral pigs

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations...s/s1393875.htm

Did I hear somewhere there's 14 million feral cats in aus?

--
Scrap the 00 to post direct.

"We all should present legal cars. I'm embarrassed we've presented a car
that's ineligible." Mark Skaife, Chief Sook, HRT.12/11/04 (It must hurt
to say illegal!)

'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN
Old 16-09-2005, 01:49 AM
John Savage

Lindsay writes:
John Savage wrote:
There was a short item, I think on ABC "landline" that some organization
(I'll credit the CSIRO in the absence of information to the contrary) has
developed a poison bait that is specific for feral cats.

John: I think you'll find it's for feral pigs

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations...s/s1393875.htm

Did I hear somewhere there's 14 million feral cats in aus?

Dunno, I lost count. But what about feral camels? SMH Sept 12 reports that
Australian camels are doubling their numbers every 8 years, and unless
steps are taken to cull them, by the year 2053 "there could be 2 camels to
every person". Now, that got me thinking what I could do with my pair.
Might camels hold the key to avoiding the high petroleum prices during the
mid 21st century?

Then there was the news item yesterday about an enterprising bloke in
Germany (maybe his name was Len someone-or-other) who has been making
biodiesel from a mixed range of things, including cat bodies. These he
obtains from roadkills, he later explained. I don't know how the posties
in Germany get around, but anyone running a vehicle on fuel that smells
strongely of cats is just inviting to be chased!

Old 17-09-2005, 02:21 AM
John Savage

Lindsay writes:
John Savage wrote:
There was a short item, I think on ABC "landline" that some organization
(I'll credit the CSIRO in the absence of information to the contrary) has
developed a poison bait that is specific for feral cats.

John: I think you'll find it's for feral pigs

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations...s/s1393875.htm

Actually, it was for feral cats. It is an amazing conincidence that there
was a similar press release concerning a bait for pigs around the same
time.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/ enviro/EnviroRepublish_1429383.htm

"Johnston says this is because while feral cats tend to swallow their
food in relatively large portions, native animals tend to chew their
food very carefully and are likely to spit out the poison pellet when
they find they can't chew it.
Another challenge the researchers face is finding a bait that will
interest cats, which don't generally eat dead flesh.
Western Australia's Department of Conservation and Land Management has
identified kangaroo and chicken fat as key ingredients for an
attractive bait, says Johnston.
It has also found the baits are best laid in the winter when there is
less alternative food around for the cats and they are using a lot of
energy."

Old 19-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Lindsay

John Savage wrote:

Did I hear somewhere there's 14 million feral cats in aus?

Dunno, I lost count. But what about feral camels? SMH Sept 12 reports that
Australian camels are doubling their numbers every 8 years, and unless
steps are taken to cull them, by the year 2053 "there could be 2 camels to
every person". Now, that got me thinking what I could do with my pair.
Might camels hold the key to avoiding the high petroleum prices during the
mid 21st century?

"2 camel power" just doesnt sound right imo

Then there was the news item yesterday about an enterprising bloke in
Germany (maybe his name was Len someone-or-other) who has been making
biodiesel from a mixed range of things, including cat bodies. These he
obtains from roadkills, he later explained. I don't know how the posties
in Germany get around, but anyone running a vehicle on fuel that smells
strongely of cats is just inviting to be chased!

I saw that... 2 cats per 50k... hmmm..

You'll never find a road kill cat in Perth! My brother tells me they
are THE best bait for crayfish..

regards

Lindsay

Old 19-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Lindsay

John Savage wrote:

Lindsay writes:
John Savage wrote:
There was a short item, I think on ABC "landline" that some organization
(I'll credit the CSIRO in the absence of information to the contrary) has
developed a poison bait that is specific for feral cats.

John: I think you'll find it's for feral pigs

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations...s/s1393875.htm

Actually, it was for feral cats. It is an amazing conincidence that there
was a similar press release concerning a bait for pigs around the same
time.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/ enviro/EnviroRepublish_1429383.htm

Well there you go.. thanks for that. Filed for future reference..

Regards

Lindsay

Old 04-10-2005, 03:30 AM
meee

Certainly not - my original reply-post indicates that I feel the cats
are only doing what cats do, and are not to blame.

However, there are ways of preventing cats from roaming - the enclosed
cat-run mentioned by Rod Out Back is one. Unfortunately, very expensive.

Or you could just keep the cat inside....I have an ex-feral who it can be
difficult to keep inside, but we (mostly) manage it. It's safer for the cat,
spares the family from losing a much loved pet, and above all- cats are NOT
part of the Australian ecology!!