Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Hope

Default what's wrong with my tomatoes?

hi all-

Could you please have a look at the image in the link and tell me
what's up with my tomatoes? It's possible that they haven't been
getting enough water (but the blossom end of the fruit is fine). Is
it a disease or a deficiency...thanks in advance!
http://users.bigpond.com/hope.nesmith/tom1.jpg

Hope
NSW
Old 12-11-2005, 08:52 AM
gardenlen

g'day hope,

could be sunburn has the fruit got enough canopy of leaves to protect
them from the direct sun? i've had to hang cloths over ripening fruit
to protect them also you could put up some shade cloth.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 16-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Chookie

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

could be sunburn has the fruit got enough canopy of leaves to protect
them from the direct sun?

Looks like sunburn to me too, though a good infestation of fruit fly maggots
can produce the same colour. The fruit also hasn't filled out properly, so
the plant might be a bit short on water.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 17-11-2005, 02:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Hope

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:27:05 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

could be sunburn has the fruit got enough canopy of leaves to protect
them from the direct sun?

Looks like sunburn to me too, though a good infestation of fruit fly maggots
can produce the same colour. The fruit also hasn't filled out properly, so
the plant might be a bit short on water.

Thanks Len and Chookie-

I'm going to go with sunburn for now as I haven't seen any fruit fly
and the fruit is maggot free, just all grey and zombie looking like in
the photo.

What do you mean that the frut hasn't filled out properly Chookie?

Hope

Old 17-11-2005, 09:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
Paul

In article ,
Hope wrote:

I'm going to go with sunburn for now as I haven't seen any fruit fly
and the fruit is maggot free, just all grey and zombie looking like in
the photo.

What do you mean that the frut hasn't filled out properly Chookie?

Hope

Yes, there is a picture in Yates Garden Guide (41st edition) page 81.

Paul

Old 19-11-2005, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

In article ,
Hope wrote:

I'm going to go with sunburn for now as I haven't seen any fruit fly

and the fruit is maggot free, just all grey and zombie looking like in
the photo.

What do you mean that the frut hasn't filled out properly Chookie?

The fruit is misshapen. Generally, tomatoes fill out evenly all round -- they
start with the basic tomato shape and get bigger. That one didn't. Now it
could be that it's a less regular variety -- some are more prone to shape
variation than others -- but it could also be due to the sunburn itself or to
irregular watering. Just a thought.

Just wondering also -- has anyone used a complete covering of shade cloth?
Will it keep fruit fly away?

Old 21-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope
hi all-

Could you please have a look at the image in the link and tell me
what's up with my tomatoes? It's possible that they haven't been
getting enough water (but the blossom end of the fruit is fine). Is
it a disease or a deficiency...thanks in advance!
http://users.bigpond.com/hope.nesmith/tom1.jpg

Hope
NSW
Hi Hope,

Looks like a good case of sun scald. Apply some shade

Tom Farrell
Old 24-11-2005, 07:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Hope

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:54:39 +1100, Chookie
wrote:

In article ,
Hope wrote:

What do you mean that the frut hasn't filled out properly Chookie?

The fruit is misshapen. Generally, tomatoes fill out evenly all round -- they
start with the basic tomato shape and get bigger.

ah no it's the variety, I'm going blank on what it is but I *think*
Rouge de Marmande (googling rouge de marmande came up with mostly
pictures from a French breastmilk bank, which was eerily ironic).
Anyway it's meant to be shaped like that, I've grown these before and
while they're weird looking they're delicious.

Sorry I should have mentioned the variety in the OP.

Hope

Old 28-11-2005, 03:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

http://tinyurl.com/avpq9

Hope
NSW

Hi Hope,

Looks like a good case of sun scald. Apply some shade

Tom Farrell

Durn hasnt anyone heard of slip slop slap?

Apply a good sunburn cream to the tomato, and while it may taste funny,
it will be resistant to sunscald and very healthy.
My local nursery and didnt do too well at business, didnt even know what
caused it when I asked, and and went to Keneya after selling his
nursery. Hope he didnt get sunburn.