Old 03-09-2006, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Grey water on gardens

"ant" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message

They belong at the lower end of your digestive tract, and cause
problems if they get into the upper part.

I will defer to your superior knowledge on this. Best way I think, in
an urban area at least, to use grey water is to use it a second time
around to flush the toilet.

When my tank got very low a few years back, that's exactly what I did. I

put
tubs in the shower to get the water, then put that water into the cistern.

running slap bang in the centre of hamilton is a big river that is never
liable to run dry from which the city draws all its water. The major
constraint on water usage is actually capacity issues of drawing out and
treating drinking water, rather than low flows. Major upgrades of treatment
stations are needed every so many years to keep pace with growing demand.
Given such a scenario, it strikes me the best way to dramatically conserve
water is not to put grey water out on to gardens but to use it twice over
through the house with a low flush bog.

Alternately a compost toilet and rainwater for drinking/watering the garden
with grey water out in to the garden. A closed cycle like that is long term
sustainably desirable. The reflow through the bog idea perhaps more straight
forward and likely to reduce water usage in our city by around 30-40%.

rob

Old 03-09-2006, 10:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article , "George.com"

wrote:

accepting this may in fact be true, what I wonder is if the greebies
eminated from me in the first place, how would eating food soaked in

these
greebies further harm me? If they are inside me, surely the effect would

be
the same once they re-enter me in food?

Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old 04-09-2006, 12:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message

[...]

My water got used 3 times actually. The fresh stuff was my shower, then that
went into the toilet cistern. Which all goes into a bio-cycle-type system,
which then comes out as garden irrigation water.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:
running slap bang in the centre of hamilton is a big river that is never
liable to run dry from which the city draws all its water. The major
constraint on water usage is actually capacity issues of drawing out and
treating drinking water, rather than low flows. Major upgrades of treatment
stations are needed every so many years to keep pace with growing demand.
Given such a scenario, it strikes me the best way to dramatically conserve
water is not to put grey water out on to gardens but to use it twice over
through the house with a low flush bog.

With such abundant water your outlook is no doubt somewhat different
from many of us. Here in Perth we are looking at building a desalinator
to extract drinking water from cockburn sound. There is talk of
complete bans on watering gardens. Using greywater to flush the loo
is great, but wouldn't use more than a fraction of our greywater.

On the subject of using greywater for flushing, I saw a neat little
trick in Tokyo. The sink in the toilet drains to the cistern, so as
you wash your hands the water helps refill the tank for the next flush.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

Not sure what has already been said, but I would not use grey water on any
natives.

Soap detergents have phosphates in them, phosphates harm a lot of our native
plants, therefore if you have natives (which we should all have over those
crappy foreign "exotic" things) you may find they kark it.

Cheers,
Clint

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message
"Chookie" wrote in message

From what I understand, the fear is that some of your intestinal

bugs have
made it into the water from the shower, or via your clothes, and

will then
give you gastro when you eat the vegies that they have landed on.

accepting this may in fact be true, what I wonder is if the greebies
eminated from me in the first place, how would eating food soaked in

these
greebies further harm me? If they are inside me, surely the effect

would be
the same once they re-enter me in food?

Are you the only one who washes their hands in your house or uses the
shower? Are you the only one who eats the veg from your garden?

I don't think I'd like to have a salad at a house where they were
using untreated grey water on their veg.

Grey water would be suitable for citrus and other fruit trees wouldn't it?

Liz

Old 04-10-2006, 02:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Clinton M James wrote:
Not sure what has already been said, but I would not use grey water on any
natives.

Soap detergents have phosphates in them, phosphates harm a lot of our native
plants, therefore if you have natives (which we should all have over those
crappy foreign "exotic" things) you may find they kark it.

Almost all the plants in our garden are either edible, scented or
decidous. Ideally a combination of the above :-) Itis very hard to
meet these criteria with a native garden, and I don't suffer any
major guilt episodes over our terraformed backyard.

But no, natives won't like the phosphates. The banksias that
are native to our area are particularly prone to fertiliser poisoning.

Rainy, grey, grey, sun, grey, rainy etc. Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 12 03-06-2008 07:52 PM
grey water freebird Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Water restrictions / Grey water / efficient drip feed system. Tom Elliott Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM