Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Cox ride-on mower throws belts.

G'day.

Looks like a nice friendly newsgroup you have here.

I was wondering if any of you good people would know a fix for a Cox
ride-on mower that throws belts? My next door neighbour wants to sell
his 6 year old Cox mower for $1,000. But he also doesn't want to sell
it because it has thrown belt on a regular basis since it was new. He
reckons that his ears would never stop burning! :-) He says it's a twin
rotor with a belt that you just about need a road map to replace.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Max
Old 04-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day max,

best advice i can give is "don't buy it".

honestly that much money for any cox mower is a bit much, there are
better makes out there.

he also should have gotten cox to fix the problem while it was under
warranty.

On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:42:35 +1000, Max wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Max

Phew...now I'm searching the old grey matter because we had exactly the
same problem with a Cox many years ago, although it was only one of the
many problems!! Don't start me!! LOL

What we did was cut a bracket from some gal angle and attach it to the
mower deck (can't remember exactly where). Attached to the bracket was a
roller bearing that came out of something else that was lying
around...our spare parts dept was a bit of a dog's breakfast and
contained all sorts of stuff. All good for something at some time or
other!!! LOL

Anyway, the bracket that was attached to the mower deck meant that the
belt had to run in a fairly tight space and couldn't fling itself off
the pulley. I seem to remember that we bought an incorrect size belt
(on purpose) too, but can't think if it was larger or smaller. I do
remember though, that we tried a breakable link belt but that was
disastrous, they are easy to fit but stretch like crazy.

Sorry I can't be anymore specific, it was a longggg time ago, but hope
this might start the ball rolling.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 05-05-2007, 03:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

len garden wrote:
g'day max,

best advice i can give is "don't buy it".

honestly that much money for any cox mower is a bit much, there are
better makes out there.

he also should have gotten cox to fix the problem while it was under
warranty.

On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:42:35 +1000, Max wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

G'day Len.

Yes well, that's probably pretty good advice, and I was wondering why he
didn't get Cox on to it straight away myself.

I thought Cox was one of the better brands, what would you say were the
most durable for a large block? We have about 5 and a half acres of
fairly flat land but it's a bit lumpy with rocks here and there.

This block was deep ripped about 20 years ago, which brought a lot of
rocks to the surface. The fella who owned it grew pumpkins on it one
year, but the council stopped him after that. It's pretty good black
soil on clay and basalt, and nearly everything we plant does really
well. Except stuff that doesn't like wet feet. The last wet season
killed a few things, as the soil holds water below about a foot down.

We have mowed most of the block, first with a whipper-snipper then with
a push mower, and moved most of the rocks that we could lift or roll, to
the base of the trees. I think I would be welding some sort of bull bar
onto the front of any ride on we bought. :-)

Thanks for your reply Len.
-Max
Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
[...]

G'day Bronwyn.

That was the first thing I said to him! How about a spring loaded idler
wheel? Great minds ay! :-) He did look at me a bit strangely though! LOL.

Your spare parts dept. sounds just like the kind I like. My wife can't
understand why I want to have all this junk laying around, she isn't
into fabricating things like I am. But is ever so happy when I fix
things for nothing with just a piece of old steel and a few bolts I had
in or behind the shed.

I was hoping someone had tried the idler wheel approach. You probably
used a smaller belt so that it sat down deeper in the pulleys, is my
guess. And I will stay away from breakable link belts, regardless of
what ride on we buy.

Thanks for your reply Bronwyn.

-Max

Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:27:09 +1000, Max wrote:
snipped
g'day max,

Yes well, that's probably pretty good advice, and I was wondering why he
didn't get Cox on to it straight away myself.

exactly! where in this planet do you rside, general area will do ie.,.
nth/west nsw etc.,. if you are talking cox then it sounds like you are
in aus'?

I thought Cox was one of the better brands, what would you say were the
most durable for a large block? We have about 5 and a half acres of
fairly flat land but it's a bit lumpy with rocks here and there.

no like all the tap-n-goes it is one of the cheaper makes, not know
for long lasting durability with their slipping drives and many long
belts. the most reliable rider mowers are the models with gear box or
speed cahnge mechanisms eg.,. rover rancher, snapper, deutscher, these
models all ahve differentila rear axles to help turinig cpacity. and
with the speed selection means the motore doesn't get over revved to
go faster over the lawn.

and no slippy drives that the home handy man can' repair, years as a
mower mechanic is a real eye opener.

for that many acres you would almost be better off with a mini tractor
up to 20 hp but not under about 18hp, you can get those mulching
cutter heads that do a good cut, plus the tractor can do so much more
than what a rider mower (rememeber they are a mower you ride on) can
do.

but at the very least look at the commercial quality riders, and
reckon you would be wanting to cut at least a 4' cut even 5'.

This block was deep ripped about 20 years ago, which brought a lot of
rocks to the surface. The fella who owned it grew pumpkins on it one
year, but the council stopped him after that. It's pretty good black
soil on clay and basalt, and nearly everything we plant does really
well. Except stuff that doesn't like wet feet. The last wet season
killed a few things, as the soil holds water below about a foot down.

now the rocks pose a problem unless yo can clear them you need to cut
taller to miss them and the only cutter that will be reliable is a
normal slasher type head if you went to a tractor? but rider mowers
won't do well in rough conditions, again they are only a mower.

for planting in those conditions use raised beds, see our page for
ideas, and for trees that requier good drainage plant them in a raised
manner that is don't dig too deep as you want the root ball or most of
it above ground level and build up a round it creating a well.

planting indemic natives will do better.

We have mowed most of the block, first with a whipper-snipper then with
a push mower, and moved most of the rocks that we could lift or roll, to
the base of the trees. I think I would be welding some sort of bull bar
onto the front of any ride on we bought. :-)

again maybe rethink you application? riders don't tow heavy loads and
they can push a blade but only loose sand say nothing else, tractors
are designed for that as well a tractor can tow a trailer with a
decent load in it.

Thanks for your reply Len.
-Max

Old 05-05-2007, 07:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

max,

most of the top of range mowers use idler pullies/wheels to stop belts
from whipping themselves to death.

also as bronwyn said you can adapt some thing but then why should you?
you ned to be careful that the adaption doesn't foul or cause other
problems, still reckon you'd be wanting better machinery that a cox.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

len garden wrote:
On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:27:09 +1000, Max wrote:
snipped
g'day max,

Yes well, that's probably pretty good advice, and I was wondering why he
didn't get Cox on to it straight away myself.

exactly! where in this planet do you rside, general area will do ie.,.
nth/west nsw etc.,. if you are talking cox then it sounds like you are
in aus'?

I thought Cox was one of the better brands, what would you say were the
most durable for a large block? We have about 5 and a half acres of
fairly flat land but it's a bit lumpy with rocks here and there.

no like all the tap-n-goes it is one of the cheaper makes, not know
for long lasting durability with their slipping drives and many long
belts. the most reliable rider mowers are the models with gear box or
speed change mechanisms eg.,. rover rancher, snapper, deutscher, these
models all have differential rear axles to help turning capacity, and
with the speed selection means the motor doesn't get over revved to
[...]

Yes Len, we live in Ravenshoe, Far North Queensland on the Atherton
Tablelands at about 1K meters of altitude. We usually get a good wet
season each year, but the cyclones (Larry for instance) are only about
half strength by the time they get here. Larry came straight up the
gorge from Innisfail just missing us. We lost a few really big iron
barks mainly, but this may be a good reason not to plant anything that
can't get it's roots down deep, re your suggestion about planting trees
above ground.

As to a small tractor with a slasher and a collection of other handy
implements, there is nothing I would like more! :-) Unfortunately, I am
building the house at the moment, so all our spare cash (is there such a
thing!? :-) ) is going into that. The house is 160 odd meters from the
road and consequently the same from the power pole, water mains, and
phone.

Last week I helped our sparkie lay the power lines. One and a half hours
work cost just over $5K and that's without even touching the house.
Another 3 to 5K$ for a half-way decent tractor is out of the question at
this point in time. Another factor that may come into play is the rate
we are planting trees and other things, manoeuvrability may become an
issue at some point with a tractor and slasher combo. At the moment
though, we still have a lot of wide open space, which I have been mowing
by hand now that the wet season is over for the year. At least the
grass won't grow much in the next 6 to 8 months.

So the main reason I was interested in the Cox is that John would let us
pay it off, which would help not break the budget. But as you say, they
are not a great unit to begin with, and with our rough ground may not
last very long at all. Which only leaves walk-behind slashers. But
even a half way decent one of those costs quite a lot.

I went and looked at an old snapper the other day. The bloke wanted
$500 for it. I know they built the first ride-on, but I didn't think
this would be it! :-) It did have a newly rebuilt B&S motor, but it the
mower it's self needed work. Looked like sh1t, but built like the
proverbial brick dunny. My misses didn't think much of it though. This
bloke rebuilds ride-ons, and I think he just keeps it to get people out
there. ;-) He himself swore by Greenfields. I myself quite like rovers
for reliability. But I was a bit surprised at the internal construction
of the bottom end. What with the swinging balance housing and the plain
metal bearings. Not very impressive, but surprisingly long lasting.

I really don't know much about these mini-tractors you speak of though.
Could you enlighten me a little on them? Like what is the difference
between them and ride-ones?

Btw, your website looks good. Lots of great tips on the mowers and
trimmers page.

Remain in light.
-Max

--
NetscapeMozilla SuiteSeamonkey
The tradition continues.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Max

Half the fun is fixing a broken item with spares bits 'n pieces you have
lying around. LOL

After the Cox was just about totally rebuilt and strengthened we bought
a garden tractor, an old Howard actually, and it would drive up a
vertical wall. We were fortunate that the seller had the implements for
it, there was a grader blade, single furrow plough, ripper and a
home-made disc plough so this combination was fabulous, plus of course
it had a slasher. Then we made a tipping trailer that was 'the' most
useful item in a big garden...it looked funny because it had Mini Minor
wide wheels with slick (worn out) tyres and was heaps better than any
wheelbarrow.

Because this garden tractor was constantly in use doing other things and
I couldn't get the lawn mown, I bought a demo model Honda ride-on with a
39" (1 metre) cut and a nice gearbox with reverse....so much nicer to
drive than a Cox could ever be!! We fabricated a trailer hitch which
meant I could cart chain saw/spray gear/whipper snipper/tools/dog/etc
etc to wherever I wanted to work on the place (12 acres), then unhitch
the trailer and start mowing.

Both the Howard and Honda could mow up the very, very steep dam wall
over large rocks.....like you've mentioned. At the chute in the mower
deck (where grass/rocks/etc used to be ejected at a million miles an
hour) we fitted short lengths of chain as you see on large slashers,
this stopped stones/rocks being flung everywhere.

I used to mow along the side of our road for about a klm each side,
although had to remove small saplings with the chain saw so I could fit
the Honda through...also did this around the dam area and the whole
place used to look like a park when mown. Also good to keeping snakes
at bay as there was no where for them to hide.

Because I live in town now I'm not up to date with ride-ons but would
recommend you get one with a comfy and well sprung seat, this is
important if you have to mow a few acres. The Honda had headlights too,
which always made me smile, but this also meant it had an electric
start....so then an old car radio with headphone socket was my next
luxury. Gee, might as well be well set up when mowing so much grass!!!

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 06-05-2007, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

Max wrote:
len garden wrote:

[...]

If youre on a tight budget, why not allow a few goats/sheep to graze for
free for a while. I'm sure a farmer in the dryer parts of Queensland
would love the idea.
As well as this, $5000 for a sparkie? Darn it would almost pay for half
a wind/solar system install. Keep it in mind...

Jonno.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:

[...]

You sure had a cushy mower. Didnt think of attaching an esky with a few
coldies as well?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

ROFLMHO!!! That would have been the next upgrade!! Might as well be
comfortable while mowing!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

You sure had a cushy mower. Didnt think of attaching an esky with a
few coldies as well?

I reckon it would be a life saver if it broke down till help arrived, as
well a a UHF CB radio for emergency supplies and help.
Seeing we havent got St Bernhards, a kelpie woul probably only to happy
to oblige. A beer barrel attached to his collar.
I reckon you may have to upgrade the power generator on the next mower....
Old 06-05-2007, 04:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Another great idea!! LOL.....tow a generator, could even setup a mini
bar!! LOL Forget the St Bernhard, I had a Dalmatian and he would have
walked over hot coals for me. He was priceless, unfortunately the big C
got him too.
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

len garden wrote:
max,

most of the top of range mowers use idler pullies/wheels to stop belts
from whipping themselves to death.

also as bronwyn said you can adapt some thing but then why should you?
you ned to be careful that the adaption doesn't foul or cause other
problems, still reckon you'd be wanting better machinery that a cox.

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:48:15 +1000, Max wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

I would say you are right on both accounts there Len, and I really
appreciate your input.
-Max

--
It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

stiga lawn mower cutting head belts GordonDonaldson United Kingdom 0 21-05-2011 03:14 PM
who renders consequently, when Mustapha throws the chinese championship relative to the gate [email protected] Ponds 0 14-11-2007 06:45 AM
Mother Nature throws (grows) tons of free medicine, housing, money. Mad Caps Gardening 0 21-12-2006 11:57 PM
Cost of V belts Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 23-06-2006 12:37 AM
Cox's Orange Piippin Stan Pierce Australia 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM