Old 19-06-2007, 02:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tree to grow in courtyard

Hi everyone

Recently we had to remove a 2 year old Chinese Tallow (Sapium sebiferum)
tree from our courtyard, because its roots were beginning to push up the
brick paving and were heading towards the house.

We had planted it as we had been told it was fairly safe in proximity to
sewer pipes etc., and also because in our warm climate (coastal mid-west of
Western Australia) it is one of the few deciduous trees which gives some
lovely autumn colour. It can get fairly hot in summer here, and the tallow
tree coped with this very well with the heat.

We need to plant a tree, with a non-invasive root system, which will provide
shade on the east side of the house during summer, and which will not grow
too large. Our soil is red clay - high in nutrients - and most things we
plant grow very robustly - when provided with some water during summer.

Any suggestions?

~Roberta~

Old 19-06-2007, 12:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
[...]

Red soil you mean somewhere near Carnarvon?

Cheers

Richard

Old 20-06-2007, 11:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Someone suggested we plant a Cassia Fistula (Golden Shower Tree)

I can't seem to find any information about whether this tree has an invasive
root system. Does anyone have experience with growing this in clay soil in
a courtyard situation?

Thanks!

~Roberta~

Old 20-06-2007, 12:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Roberta" wrote in message
[...]

Try Tipuana tipu roots grow down not across the surface. If you are near
Perth I have a dozen in pots. Yellow flowers, grows to 6 m, that is if you
are temperate climate is why I asked where abouts you were.

Cheers

Richard

Old 20-06-2007, 01:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thank you for that info Richard. I will look up more information about the
Tipuana Tipu. I am in Geraldton.

Cheers
~Roberta~

(Snip)

Old 21-06-2007, 11:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

i'm wondering if you've thought about a fruit tree of some kind...? many of
them are attractive (well, attractive enough ;-) and you can pick the size
you want & prune it into the shape you want. and you get fruit!

apparently apricots will actually do much better than they otherwise would
if you box in the roots when you plant it, too.
kylie

Old 22-06-2007, 01:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

Good suggestion Kylie! We had thought of planting a LillyPilly, as some
varieties have very nice edible fruit, but they are not deciduous.

One of the deciduous stone fruits could be an option, providing we can get a
variety that can cope with our very hot summers.

Thanks!

~Roberta~

Old 22-06-2007, 12:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

I would suggest a pomegranite as they are great.

cheers

Richard

Old 23-06-2007, 01:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for the suggestion about growing a Pomegranate in my courtyard
Richard! That could be a good option. And it ties in with Kylie's
suggestion of growing a fruit tree.

I will do a bit of research and try and find out how invasive (or not) the
root system is. Pomegranate juice is considered to be very good for your
health (can't verify that because I haven't tried it).

Old 25-06-2007, 02:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

Roberta wrote:
Thank you for that info Richard. I will look up more information about the
Tipuana Tipu. I am in Geraldton.

Cheers
~Roberta~

(Snip)

Try Tipuana tipu roots grow down not across the surface. If you are near
Perth I have a dozen in pots. Yellow flowers, grows to 6 m, that is if you
are temperate climate is why I asked where abouts you were.

Cheers

Richard

Blue gum,join the howard reigeim,plant out your entire yard