Old 24-07-2007, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default vines for sheds

ah, everyone's favourite topic g

have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on soemthing
from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough, evergreen, etc. &
then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather cool & the soil in that
spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there & i assume jasmines will grow
there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i also don't want anything deciduous, as
the shed is just as ugly in winter as it is in summer ;-) the planting spot
faces about east-south-east.

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation? is
there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

Old 25-07-2007, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
ah, everyone's favourite topic g

have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on
soemthing from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough,
evergreen, etc. & then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather
cool & the soil in that spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there &
i assume jasmines will grow there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i
also don't want anything deciduous, as the shed is just as ugly in
winter as it is in summer ;-) the planting spot faces about
east-south-east.
does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation?
is there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

I find the scent of jasmine a bit strong, a suitable native to consider is
the Wonga vine (Pandorea pandorana)
http://lamington.nrsm.uq.edu.au/Docu.../wongavine.htm
http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/000924.jpg http://asgap.org.au/p-pan.html

It is a woody vine with white to pink and golden fowers and a good grower.
We live in Boronia, Victoria (just at the base of the Dandenongs) so the
weather is quite cold in winter, we have a Wonga vine in a corner between
the garage and the house (next to a large tree fern) which faces south so it
is quite shady, our soil is heavy but I have built it up with grass
clippings, compost, dead leaves etc. The vine gets no water except what
falls from the sky.

Aparently its natural range is Tasmania to N.E. Queensland.

Pandorea jasminoides (Bower of Beauty) is similar and also grows well in our
area, it has larger white to pink flowers
(http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/810114.jpg) (http://asgap.org.au/p-jas.html)
(http://www.garden-services.com/jasmine.htm)

There are a number of cultivars of both so check with your local nursery as
to the variety that does best in your area.

Old 25-07-2007, 06:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on soemthing
from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough, evergreen, etc. &
then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather cool & the soil in that
spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there & i assume jasmines will grow
there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i also don't want anything deciduous,
as the shed is just as ugly in winter as it is in summer ;-) the planting
spot faces about east-south-east.

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation? is
there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will grow
over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

Old 25-07-2007, 01:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
ah, everyone's favourite topic g

have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on soemthing
from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough, evergreen, etc. &
then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather cool & the soil in that
spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there & i assume jasmines will grow
there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i also don't want anything deciduous,
as the shed is just as ugly in winter as it is in summer ;-) the planting
spot faces about east-south-east.

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation? is
there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

Go a passionfruit as you get some fruit to enjoy.

Dick

Old 26-07-2007, 12:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

Go a passionfruit as you get some fruit to enjoy.

When old mick on the corner near the telephone exchange sold his
property, about 10 years ago, he had a lovely passionfruit over the
eastern end trellis, but it was an unusual sort.

Old 27-07-2007, 12:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
[...]

well, that is a nice looking vine! (and prettier than jasmine, too).

[...]

thanks greenie. i very much doubt the second would go here (climate) but
i'll follow up on the wonga vine & see if it's available locally, etc.

i'd honestly prefer a really pretty native if possible, so that would be
good.
ta!
kylie

Old 27-07-2007, 12:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
have a fugly shed i want to cover, & have decided (i think) on soemthing
from the jasmine family, because they are easy, tough, evergreen, etc. &
then they make nice flowers. our climate is rather cool & the soil in
that spot is all clay - there's no topsoil there & i assume jasmines will
grow there (they seem to grow anywhere!) i also don't want anything
deciduous, as the shed is just as ugly in winter as it is in summer ;-)
the planting spot faces about east-south-east.

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation? is
there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will
grow over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's an
early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful. i'm pretty sure i've seen dorothy perkins & it
is beautiful too. old-fashioned climbing and banking roses really are lovely
provided i don't have to go near them. sigh!!

thanks for your input! :-)
kylie

Old 27-07-2007, 12:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Loosecanon wrote:

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?
thanks!
kylie

Go a passionfruit as you get some fruit to enjoy.

When old mick on the corner near the telephone exchange sold his property,
about 10 years ago, he had a lovely passionfruit over the eastern end
trellis, but it was an unusual sort.

we can't have any kind of passionfruit here but (apparently) banana
passionfruit (i'm not quite sure what that is, yet), unfortunately, because
of the phenomenal frosts. passionfruit vines are tops!! (except for that one
problem). i have a local friend with one that grew spontaneously in teh
"wrong" position, & it fruits all out of season, but my word it's a goer. my
shed is really quite exposed though, so never mind.

(did old mick take some cuttings?)
kylie

Old 27-07-2007, 05:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's an
early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

Have your read Clive James' Unreliable Memoirs? There is a similar incident
in there.

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful.

Rosa banksiae -- named after Mrs Joseph Banks.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 27-07-2007, 11:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

i'd honestly prefer a really pretty native if possible, so that would be
good.

quite a few are good. the catch is wheather they will cover your shed
really well.

We have a nice Pandorea pandorama on one fence which has nice white,
profuse flowers in spring(?). nice mild smell. that would be nice.

Old man's beard is nice and fine, but a bit sparse. More of a focus
specimen plant.

Cissus antartica is that dark green mass on the left hand side as you
climb out of Wedderburn gorge going to Campbelltown. Do not remember its
flower.

Wombat Berry (Eustrphous sp) is another local endemic, but small and
more a focus specimen.

ta!
kylie

Old 31-07-2007, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message

I find the scent of jasmine a bit strong, a suitable native to consider
is the Wonga vine (Pandorea pandorana)
http://lamington.nrsm.uq.edu.au/Docu.../wongavine.htm
http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/000924.jpg http://asgap.org.au/p-pan.html

thanks greenie. i very much doubt the second would go here (climate) but
i'll follow up on the wonga vine & see if it's available locally, etc.

Well blow me down!

It just so happens that I am currently reading one of Susan Irvine's rose
books, specifically "Rose Gardens of Australia" and I had just decided last
night that I must find a place for a Wonga wonga vine after seeing a pic in
her book (p 45 or thereabouts). I come in here this morning and here is the
very plant getting a mention!!!!! The pic in the book seems to feature a
vine growing in a garden along the Murray and if it can be that floriferous
in a dry climate, I would like to give it a go here.

Old 31-07-2007, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation?
is there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will
grow over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's an
early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

:-)) If I had a loathing for every nasty incident that happened to me in my
childhood, I'd never have chooks or a garden or go near dogs, cats, cattle,
pushbikes or horses.

I've also been told that I shouldn't prune roses (or weed near them) because
of the risk of infection (caused by thorns) that they apparently pose to
someone such as myself for one of the types of cancers I have survived. I
ignore that last piece of advice. If the cancers didn't kill me, then my
number just isn't up yet and even if my ignorance of such advice does result
in death, well so what? We all have to die of something.

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful. i'm pretty sure i've seen dorothy perkins & it
is beautiful too. old-fashioned climbing and banking roses really are
lovely provided i don't have to go near them. sigh!!

Most roses are lovely if they are in the right setting and are the right
colour and if they have perfume (I don't like roses with no perfume). I
think the same could probably said for most flowering plants.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

i'd honestly prefer a really pretty native if possible, so that would be
good.

quite a few are good. the catch is wheather they will cover your shed
really well.

We have a nice Pandorea pandorama on one fence which has nice white,
profuse flowers in spring(?). nice mild smell. that would be nice.

the more votes in favour of this, the more i want it g

Old man's beard is nice and fine, but a bit sparse. More of a focus
specimen plant.

Cissus antartica is that dark green mass on the left hand side as you
climb out of Wedderburn gorge going to Campbelltown. Do not remember its
flower.

Wombat Berry (Eustrphous sp) is another local endemic, but small and more
a focus specimen.

thanks for the ideas. frankly, i look forward to putting in more perennials
& things. the garden just still looks so NUDE!
kylie

Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message

I find the scent of jasmine a bit strong, a suitable native to consider
is the Wonga vine (Pandorea pandorana)
http://lamington.nrsm.uq.edu.au/Docu.../wongavine.htm
http://asgap.org.au/jpg1/000924.jpg http://asgap.org.au/p-pan.html

thanks greenie. i very much doubt the second would go here (climate) but
i'll follow up on the wonga vine & see if it's available locally, etc.

Well blow me down!

It just so happens that I am currently reading one of Susan Irvine's rose
books, specifically "Rose Gardens of Australia" and I had just decided
last night that I must find a place for a Wonga wonga vine after seeing a
pic in her book (p 45 or thereabouts). I come in here this morning and
here is the very plant getting a mention!!!!!

it's jungian synchronicity - that's what it is ;-)

The pic in the book seems to feature a
vine growing in a garden along the Murray and if it can be that
floriferous in a dry climate, I would like to give it a go here.

well, i am! my climate's moister & cooler, but i'm feeling lucky g
kylie

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's
an
early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

Have your read Clive James' Unreliable Memoirs? There is a similar
incident
in there.

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful.

Rosa banksiae -- named after Mrs Joseph Banks.

you spooky thing.

you probably also know it's growing with a really horrible bushy-climby
thing that HAS TO COME OUT VERY VERY SOON because i shan't be able to stand
it much longer. this other plant is entirely detestable (bar that it
apparently thrives on neglect) & it was indeed many months before i found
the lovely rose growing in there too!
kylie

Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 07:56 AM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
try here for concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 08:19 AM
concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 05-02-2004 06:48 PM
sheds karen United Kingdom 4 27-05-2003 10:20 AM