Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Spider Web problem at night?

Hi,

Sorry to ask this question in aus garden- but just wondering whether other
people here have experienced this problem before. At night, every now and
then I think something like spider webs fall on my face or feel spiders
crawling on my body. Problem is they are invsible - I can't see them - and
I'm not sure whether they are spiders, or mites etc.. I do feel them and
don't think its my imagination. During the day- the problem is not there.

There are no tell-tale red bite marks so I guess they aren't mites.

Anyone here experienced the same thing? I rang my doc friend about it - but
she just said it was probably dust which I doubt.

I had the house steam cleaned two months ago, and I'm on the verge of
getting the place fumigated professionally - but its going to cost $500. And
I've got to move my large two fish tanks out of the way- which isn't easy.

There are spider webs around the house- but mostly outside - and in the 2nd
floor roof area which I can't reach. Every so often, I see what looks like
the black house spider on my carpet.

BTW, my place is a weatherboard brick veneer house- 2 levels - built 25
years ago - the carpet is original. Its fairly dry here- no damp.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 03:29:23 +1100, "Sarah White" wrote:

[...]

Have you recently given up drinking alcohol?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Sarah White" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Many moons ago in central Victoria. At my parents place I awoke with a
huntsman walking across my face. An old sleepout was the scene and as he/she
kept the mossies down I kept still till it removed itself.
Try the cans where you switch off the electrics for 2 hours. Have always
found them to be good value. Got to be cheaper than the $500 you quoted.
Jim
Now living with many daddy long legs as companions (only joking they are for
it)

Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

almost unbelievably, i HAVE had this problem!

in our case, it was bird mites. there had been birds nesting in the roof -
after they all left home, the homeless mites began to drift down through the
ceiling. we thought we would go insane, because we didn't know what it was.
i put white paper out & eventually we were able to spot them landing on the
paper on the table (they are near-microscopic). then, we thought we would go
insane because of the disgustingness of it all.

some pest dude came around & pesticided them all to death & that was the end
of it.
kylie

Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

almost unbelievably, i HAVE had this problem!

in our case, it was bird mites. there had been birds nesting in the roof -
after they all left home, the homeless mites began to drift down through the
ceiling. we thought we would go insane, because we didn't know what it was.
i put white paper out & eventually we were able to spot them landing on the
paper on the table (they are near-microscopic). then, we thought we would go
insane because of the disgustingness of it all.

some pest dude came around & pesticided them all to death & that was the end
of it.
kylie

Oh yum! What a delicious tale!

I've got one too!

A few weeks after we moved here, we met a young couple from a few houses
up. They had moved in just days before we had and their baby was born a
few days after that. They brought their daughter home and she promptly
got sick: she had a raised, ugly rash all over her little body. The
doctor looked and said 'Bites of some sort', but they weren't able to
establish exactly what was biting the baby. Very soon, the parents came
down with the rash as well.

Long story short: there was a rather large colony of Indian Mynahs
nesting in their roof. It was lice. They moved.

Oh and another good one!

Once, my sister wrangled a tiny pony from inner-city Newcastle. It had
been tethered to a park fence and left without water and feed. When my
sister found it, the poor little thing was a skeleton and eating sand!
It was very easy for her to simply cut the tether rope and lift the pony
into her Mitsubishi L300 (I *so* admire my sister for doing this!) She
left a note on the fence for the owner and brought the pony home.

We spent the whole afternoon with our kids feeding, washing and fussing
over Buddy, who wasn't an inch over eleven hands. He greedily gobbled up
the hay we gave him and went to lie down in Mum's backyard (which had
long *green* grass - why didn't we twig???). Then we went to have lunch.

During lunch, everyone began to itch and scratch hysterically. *All* of
us, even my elderly Mum, had *lice* from the poor little pony! We had to
wash ourselves (and the pony, of course) in dog-wash to get them off and
it wasn't pleasant at all!

By now, the pony had contracted an awful case of colic, probably from
eating too much green grass on top of his sand diet. My sister and I
walked him around the streets for eighteen hours before he finally
passed the sand. The poor little creature was in agony and I've never
seen another horse as sick as he was. The story has a happy ending,
because the owner rang, irate, from *Sydney*! He'd bought the pony for
his kids, who lived with their Mum in N'cle and who had tired of him
after a few weeks. He threatened to sue my sister, who calmly replied,
'Do, please, go ahead! You and I have an appointment with the RSPCA. I
took photos!' The nice man then offered to sell the pony to my sister,
who peered into her purse and said 'I've got eleven dollars twenty. Will
that do?' She sent him a money order, he sent a receipt and Buddy became
ours!

Buddy was about eighteen months old (ie a *baby*!) and kids had been
riding and abusing him for most of his short life. We were unable to
break him to saddle (owing to having no-one small enough to ride him
safely), so we broke him to harness when he was nearly three. He never
grew past twelve hands, and so he became a champion mini-trotter and
went to live with a lovely couple whose grandchildren were great
mini-trots drivers.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

almost unbelievably, i HAVE had this problem!

in our case, it was bird mites. there had been birds nesting in the roof -
after they all left home, the homeless mites began to drift down through
the ceiling. we thought we would go insane, because we didn't know what it
was. i put white paper out & eventually we were able to spot them landing
on the paper on the table (they are near-microscopic). then, we thought we
would go insane because of the disgustingness of it all.

some pest dude came around & pesticided them all to death & that was the
end of it.
kylie

Hmm... it might be mites. I've seen tiny red spiders occasionally - and
apparently they are some sort of mites.

What was the name of the pest company that you got?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

What a nice story. I hope the ******* who abused the pony dies in agony.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

almost unbelievably, i HAVE had this problem!

in our case, it was bird mites. there had been birds nesting in the
roof - after they all left home, the homeless mites began to drift down
through the ceiling. we thought we would go insane, because we didn't
know what it was. i put white paper out & eventually we were able to spot
them landing on the paper on the table (they are near-microscopic). then,
we thought we would go insane because of the disgustingness of it all.

some pest dude came around & pesticided them all to death & that was the
end of it.
kylie

Hmm... it might be mites. I've seen tiny red spiders occasionally - and
apparently they are some sort of mites.

they would be, although there are all kinds of mites. the kind that get on
your houseplants wouldn't be bothering you though, so try to define the
problem more before you get the pestie in. bird mites are very, very, very
tiny. try the white paper method!

What was the name of the pest company that you got?

don't know any more. any of them would be able to deal with it though. you
can also request that they come back later if (for example) there really is
a nest up there but it still has babies in it. afaik they kill the birds if
you ask, otherwise they don't. (birds themselves are an issue they deal
with). they will just check everything out & do what you ask concerning
solutions.

you might want to go up into the roof & see what you can see. it may not be
from birds. but it sounds as though _something_ is working its way down
through the ceiling!
kylie

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Sarah

I'd say Kylie is spot on! Try the white paper, it does work.

If you'd care to post your email address (disguised) I might be able to
help.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

What a nice story. I hope the ******* who abused the pony dies in agony.

All too common around here, I'm afraid. Since they put 'The Saddle Club'
on TV, billions of little girls with dual-income families have gotten
ponies to play with. Sadly, the TV doesn't show the hours of work it
costs to keep and exercise a large animal in the suburbs and so you see
lots and lots of them in tiny yards and tethered to stakes, forgotten
and miserable. It used to be a lot worse, I suppose...

AND (soapbox moment approaching)

Our local council in its wisdom has permitted a large commercial concern
a monopoly over the N'cle Showground, effectively turning out the Pony
Club and preventing the best chance the abovementioned ponies had of
owner-education! Hnnnnh!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

Have you recently given up drinking alcohol?

Or are you diabetic and starting to suffer from peripheral neuropathy(sp?)?

Or, just some one who feels little insects playing gymnast on your hairy
arms.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

What a nice story. I hope the ******* who abused the pony dies in agony.

All too common around here, I'm afraid. Since they put 'The Saddle Club'
on TV, billions of little girls with dual-income families have gotten
ponies to play with. Sadly, the TV doesn't show the hours of work it costs
to keep and exercise a large animal in the suburbs and so you see lots and
lots of them in tiny yards and tethered to stakes, forgotten and
miserable. It used to be a lot worse, I suppose...

Some parents have no sense whatsoever. We made our daughter do horse riding
lessons for 2 years before we'd buy her a horse and sent her on riding camps
at least once a year while she was having lessons. Not once did we ever
have to do anything with her horses. She'd get up early on cold sinter
mornigns and go out and take their rugs off and do the reverse each night.
when I think back, I'm so proud of her and how she looked after them - not a
lazy bone in her body.

AND (soapbox moment approaching)

Our local council in its wisdom has permitted a large commercial concern a
monopoly over the N'cle Showground, effectively turning out the Pony Club
and preventing the best chance the abovementioned ponies had of
owner-education! Hnnnnh!

So where does the PC go/meet now? they are great organisations and nothing
like a bit of peer pressure to make slobby little girls look after their
horses.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Some parents have no sense whatsoever. We made our daughter do horse riding
lessons for 2 years before we'd buy her a horse and sent her on riding camps
at least once a year while she was having lessons. Not once did we ever
have to do anything with her horses. She'd get up early on cold sinter
mornigns and go out and take their rugs off and do the reverse each night.
when I think back, I'm so proud of her and how she looked after them - not a
lazy bone in her body.

YOU ROCK!!! And so does your daughter! I know far too many kids who
stand back while M&D do all the $#!+ kicking and then graciously take
the reins and trot off into the distance. Do you still have a horse in
your family?

Our local council in its wisdom has permitted a large commercial concern a
monopoly over the N'cle Showground, effectively turning out the Pony Club
and preventing the best chance the abovementioned ponies had of
owner-education! Hnnnnh!

So where does the PC go/meet now? they are great organisations and nothing
like a bit of peer pressure to make slobby little girls look after their
horses.

N'cle Pony Club was eventually reduced to a scatn handful of families. I
don't think it even meets any more. Don't know if it actually disbanded.
There's a few others in Zone 25, but they're all outlying and hard to
get to if you don't own a reliable float.

Talking of slobby little girls and peer pressure! D'you remember the
ribbon browband fad of a few years ago? I made a *fortune*, plaiting
ribbon browbands in ever more garish colours for the slobby little
girls! LOLOLOL! Thanks for a good memory! ;-D

(I don't think I can even remember how to make one now. Gettin' old...)

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

Some parents have no sense whatsoever. We made our daughter do horse
riding lessons for 2 years before we'd buy her a horse and sent her on
riding camps at least once a year while she was having lessons. Not once
did we ever have to do anything with her horses. She'd get up early on
cold sinter mornigns and go out and take their rugs off and do the
reverse each night. when I think back, I'm so proud of her and how she
looked after them - not a lazy bone in her body.

YOU ROCK!!! And so does your daughter! I know far too many kids who stand
back while M&D do all the $#!+ kicking and then graciously take the reins
and trot off into the distance.

We were always 'hard' on her (according to her) and she hated it and thought
we were 'mean' but now she's a mother herself guess how she is raising her
kid? :-))

Do you still have a horse in
your family?

Sadly no. She went off to University, many hours drive from here and she
decided that they had to go to new homes where they would be ridden
regularly. It was a sad day all round when they went and I especially
missed one of them who had a great sense of humour (if that is possible in a
horse).

I used to walk across the paddock and he would walk right behind me and when
I'd sudeenly stop he'd bonk into my back then off we'd go again and do it
all over again. The expression on his face when I finally got to where I
was going was somehting to behold. He loved that game.

And I missed the poops hugely till I found another source which I have to
admit is much easier to collect. Now I just drive my ute up beside the pile
and load it full - no more bags and shovels and wheelbarrows.

Our local council in its wisdom has permitted a large commercial concern
a monopoly over the N'cle Showground, effectively turning out the Pony
Club and preventing the best chance the abovementioned ponies had of
owner-education! Hnnnnh!

So where does the PC go/meet now? they are great organisations and
nothing like a bit of peer pressure to make slobby little girls look
after their horses.

N'cle Pony Club was eventually reduced to a scatn handful of families. I
don't think it even meets any more. Don't know if it actually disbanded.
There's a few others in Zone 25, but they're all outlying and hard to get
to if you don't own a reliable float.

That's appalling! I would have thought it would be a thriving PC area.

Talking of slobby little girls and peer pressure! D'you remember the
ribbon browband fad of a few years ago? I made a *fortune*, plaiting
ribbon browbands in ever more garish colours for the slobby little girls!
LOLOLOL! Thanks for a good memory! ;-D

Oh yes! The kid learned to do them for herself.

(I don't think I can even remember how to make one now. Gettin' old...)

Aint' we all?