Old 26-12-2008, 07:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Bees gone for a break too?

I am concerned that after using a tomato dusting powder, that the bees have
gone missing in my garden.
While I would like to prevent tomato diseases which have decimated my tomato
plants later on in the season, with the leaves curling up, and going brown
and drying up. I am not sure of what do.
Yates do warn of not using the dusting powder, when bees are foraging, but
what else can you do to prevent diseases?
Any ideas anyone?

Old 27-12-2008, 06:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

try to find varieties that better suit your conditions? they may be
more disease resistant, not so sure that the symptom you described is
anything but natural, when my plants get older into the season the
bottom leaves begin to go brown and curl etc.,. but it has never
affected the end of the cropping.

you might have to look at garden drainage is it as good as it should
be? or watering habits maybe too much watering? once a week for well
mulched plants should do odd occassions twice a week. do you do much
fertilising? if so maybe cut that down or out once the plants are
growing, we don't fertilise all we do is feed the gardens our kitchen
scraps and use green type mulches.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:51:38 GMT, "Jonno" wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 27-12-2008, 10:02 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
I am concerned that after using a tomato dusting powder, that the
bees have gone missing in my garden.
While I would like to prevent tomato diseases which have decimated my
tomato plants later on in the season, with the leaves curling up, and
going brown and drying up. I am not sure of what do.
Yates do warn of not using the dusting powder, when bees are
foraging, but what else can you do to prevent diseases?
Any ideas anyone?

Dust at night when the bees are home in bed. Seriously, they go home at
sunset.

David

Old 28-12-2008, 12:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yes, I did that, but the dust remains and they disappeared at the same time.
Also its best to dust the tomatoes (and other plants) when you've just
watered as the dust stays on better.
But the problem of bees is rather strange.
I'll be more careful in the future.
But I wonder when I should start dusting, as problems don't occur till later
on in the season as a rule.

Old 28-12-2008, 01:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:51:38 +0000, Jonno wrote:

I am concerned that after using a tomato dusting powder, that the bees have
gone missing in my garden.

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere;
1. Tomato dust is an insecticide,
2. Bees are insects,
3. Therefore the tomato dust has killed off the bees.

Old 28-12-2008, 05:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"terryc" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:51:38 +0000, Jonno wrote:

I am concerned that after using a tomato dusting powder, that the bees
have
gone missing in my garden.

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere;
1. Tomato dust is an insecticide,

They could state this moreclearly instead they state do not use when bees
are foraging not stating This kills bees too!
They know its complete properties, as it seems you do....

2. Bees are insects,
3. Therefore the tomato dust has killed off the bees.

Yes youre right, but it also includes the sulphur dusts.
Yates could have done better with this by stating "WHEN"
to start using this stuff, as otherwise its not doing what its intended
for....
I will avoid using Yates products in future....

Old 28-12-2008, 09:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

I don't use the dust, don't grow tomatoes coz my place is filthy with
fruit fly, but what about not dusting when the plants are actually in
flower? Don't know if that's practical, just a suggestion.

cheers

jules

Old 28-12-2008, 10:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:04:07 +1100, jules wrote:

I don't use the dust, don't grow tomatoes coz my place is filthy with
fruit fly, but what about not dusting when the plants are actually in
flower? Don't know if that's practical, just a suggestion.

Apparently, that was what the directions said:- "do not use when bees are
foraging"

For your problem, have you lookd at DakPots, or wha ever they are called
now. Basically canite impregnated with poison and attactant forthe
males(?). They comethinking they have struck it lucky and end up
poisoned, die and are not availabel for the real females.

There are also trap attractants you can get. Take a plastic soft drink
bottle, cut of top, invert to make a funnel in top of rest of bottle and
load with bait/pongy stuff.

You also need to do basic stuff like collect all fallen fruit ASAP.
Old 29-12-2008, 02:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Hmm Yes, but WHEN do you dust.
I've done everything to attract bees, and get caught out with this stuff....
There must be a better way.

Old 29-12-2008, 01:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:19:01 +0000, Jonno wrote:

Hmm Yes, but WHEN do you dust.
I've done everything to attract bees, and get caught out with this stuff....
There must be a better way.

After the tomatoes have finished flowering as the bees will not be
visiting the tomato plants.

Old 29-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryc View Post
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:19:01 +0000, Jonno wrote:

Hmm Yes, but WHEN do you dust.
I've done everything to attract bees, and get caught out with this stuff....
There must be a better way.

After the tomatoes have finished flowering as the bees will not be
visiting the tomato plants.
I don't know whether this has spread to the antipodes, but the US, UK and other parts of western Europe are suffering from "colony collapse disorder' where huge numbers of honey bees are dying - partly due to some mite that infests the hives. Without bees the world's food sources would dry up in a few years. It is SO important to do nothing that kills bees and everything we gardeners can to provide them with lots of food sources, especially nectar-rich plants,to keep them going.
Old 29-12-2008, 10:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

I work full time so I keep my gardening as simple as possible. So simple
my plants have to be able to cope with almost total neglect! Anything
requiring more than the occassional water during drought just doesn't
get done. the rest? well maybe when I retire...

Thanks anyway!

jules

Old 31-12-2008, 04:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

-
Hmm Yes, but WHEN do you dust.
I've done everything to attract bees, and get caught out with this
stuff....
There must be a better way.-

After the tomatoes have finished flowering as the bees will not be
visiting the tomato plants.

I don't know whether this has spread to the antipodes, but the US, UK
and other parts of western Europe are suffering from "colony collapse
disorder' where huge numbers of honey bees are dying - partly due to
some mite that infests the hives. Without bees the world's food
sources would dry up in a few years. It is SO important to do nothing
that kills bees and everything we gardeners can to provide them with
lots of food sources, especially nectar-rich plants,to keep them going.

--
Janet Conroy
Re bees and colonies collapsing...

I would bet that this is due to some chemical too.
Recently frog populations were found to be dying "due to some herbicide"
which leached into the water supplies, and its effectively killing tadpoles
at rates of less the one part per trillion.. I don't know how they measured
that, buts its clearly a small amount...
De Santo with their roundup insecticide genetically modified wheat crops?
Who knows, but I bet they don't do their homework till they have too, and
probably too late....Corporations. They can live forever, and don't apply
human laws as we know them. Only the laws concerning making money...

Old 31-12-2008, 05:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 04:37:54 +0000, Jonno wrote:

De Santo with their roundup insecticide genetically modified wheat
crops

Monsanto?
And has anyone heard anything about these crops needing double the water?

Chasing up something in an internet article I read.
Old 31-12-2008, 02:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sorry Link didnt come accross previous post..
http://www.no-till.com.au/gm_issues.html

"Jonno" wrote in message

"terryc" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 04:37:54 +0000, Jonno wrote:

De Santo with their roundup insecticide genetically modified wheat
crops

Monsanto?
And has anyone heard anything about these crops needing double the water?

Chasing up something in an internet article I read.

This might be what youre after!
Consultant disputes GM crop claims
Julie Newman from the Network of Concerned Farmers was cited as saying
there
is growing international evidence that GM crops use more water than
conventional varieties and may be unsuitable for Australia's drought
conditions…

more 12 July 2005