Old 06-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Dave

Default Clover killing and rain

Hi all,

On the ongoing saga of clover in my buffalo lawn, I re-sprayed the clover on
Saturday afternoon with Bindii and clover killer in nice clear skies only to
have to pour down with torrential rain about 2 hours later....

I'm assuming the rain will have washed away the poison but before I go and
do this again (and probably kill my grass into the bargain) I was just
wondering if the poison would have been washed away?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Andrew G

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

On the ongoing saga of clover in my buffalo lawn, I re-sprayed the clover

on
Saturday afternoon with Bindii and clover killer in nice clear skies only

have to pour down with torrential rain about 2 hours later....

I'm assuming the rain will have washed away the poison but before I go and
do this again (and probably kill my grass into the bargain) I was just
wondering if the poison would have been washed away?

Any ideas?

Hi there
Yeah it probably would have been washed away, these type of chemicals act on
the leaves, not really the roots so it would have washed into the soil and
became useless.
However I too would be worried at doubling up on the grass, just in case it
did take some in within that 2 hrs.
Safest option would be to check the packaging and if it says not to spray
within "X" amount of hours before rain, some being up to 24hrs, then yeah,
it won't work, otherwise it may be rainfast.
Failing that, water it well, see if any clover dies/yellows within next 3
weeks, and if it doesn't yellow at all, re apply, but again, it's in your
hands, I accept no responsibility for loss of buffalo :-)

Good luck

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Dave

"Andrew G" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, thanks Andrew.

I checked the bottle and it doesn't say anything about rain - just to not
mow it for 2 days!

We ended up getting quite a bit of rain, so I'm assuming the poision has had
little effect, but I'll give it some time and try again.

Thanks for the info.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 AM
Sprog

Exact same thing happened to me, clear skies, sprayed then rain :-(
I didn't re-apply, I left mine for 3 weeks and most of the clover was
yellowing.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
waratah

"Dave" wrote in :

Hi all,

On the ongoing saga of clover in my buffalo lawn, I re-sprayed the
clover on Saturday afternoon with Bindii and clover killer in nice
clear skies only to have to pour down with torrential rain about 2
hours later....

I'm assuming the rain will have washed away the poison but before I go
and do this again (and probably kill my grass into the bargain) I was
just wondering if the poison would have been washed away?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave.

I think it will most likely work. Clover has fairly soft leaves and the
herbicide will have passed through (via a surfactant) quite quickly. What
doesn't get in a few hours, probably won't anyway.

Give it at least 3 weeks - if there is no yellowing, then re-spray.

* waratah *

Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
magoo

Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong, but I understood clover to be
beneficial as it provides nitrogen and is also a deterrent to those pesky
root eating grubs. Unless of course it has taken over the lawn....

On 8/9/04 7:00 PM, in article
, "waratah"

Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Two Wellsys

Dave,
next time you spray any type of poison, after you mix it to the
manufacturer's directions add a small squirt of ordinary dishwashing
detergent. Won't matter if it rains or not then.
Cheers,
Wellsy.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 AM
waratah

magoo wrote in
:

Please don't top post !

Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong, but I understood clover
to be beneficial as it provides nitrogen and is also a deterrent to
those pesky root eating grubs. Unless of course it has taken over the
lawn....

On 8/9/04 7:00 PM, in article
, "waratah"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, you are right. Killing clover is done only for the purpose of
presentation. It forms a relationship with bacteria that produce the
nitrogen.

* waratah *

Old 09-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Dave

"magoo" wrote in message
Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong, but I understood clover to

be
beneficial as it provides nitrogen and is also a deterrent to those pesky
root eating grubs. Unless of course it has taken over the lawn....

Yeah, its starting to take over the lawn... but primarily its to keep the
bees and burrs away from my young children.

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:28 PM
magoo

sorry

On 9/9/04 9:23 AM, in article
, "waratah"
wrote:

magoo wrote in
:

Please don't top post !

Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong, but I understood clover
to be beneficial as it provides nitrogen and is also a deterrent to
those pesky root eating grubs. Unless of course it has taken over the
lawn....

On 8/9/04 7:00 PM, in article
, "waratah"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
:

Old 10-09-2004, 09:38 AM
waratah

Sprog wrote in
:

Please don't bottom post, I hate scrolling through all the previous
thread just read a reply.

waratah wrote:

"Dave" wrote in
:

[...]

Get with the program! Are you attempting to change the entire culture of
usenet just to suit your whim? Geez,
Old 10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

"Dave" wrote in :

On the ongoing saga of clover in my buffalo lawn, I re-sprayed the
clover on Saturday afternoon with Bindii and clover killer in nice
clear skies only to have to pour down with torrential rain about 2
hours later....

I've always had good luck with cutting the clover short then
spreading ammonium sulphate just before light rain.

Old 13-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Dave

"Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish" wrote in
message ...

"Dave" wrote in :

On the ongoing saga of clover in my buffalo lawn, I re-sprayed the
clover on Saturday afternoon with Bindii and clover killer in nice
clear skies only to have to pour down with torrential rain about 2
hours later....

I've always had good luck with cutting the clover short then
spreading ammonium sulphate just before light rain.

Hi Holy.

I tried ammonium sulfate on one section of the lawn (though I did not cut
the clover first - its pretty much at ground level so I don't think the
mower would do anything to it anyway).. and guess what - the clover
absolutely loved it! Its never been greener!

Am too scared to try it again - it'd probably take over the house as well as
the lawn!

But... I am having success (at least to some degree) with the clover and the
Bindii/Clover killer....

As one of the other posters suggested, all is not lost after the rain, at
least half of the clover is starting to die back....

I'm giving up for this year as after 3 attempts at poisioning I'm not too
keen to subject the buffalo to another round of posion... next weekend the
thatch comes out and the fertilizer will go on and hopefully we'll get some
rain to water it in!

I think however I've settled on the best combination (at least for my
situation), which I'll try next year:

1) Check soil Ph - adjust if necessary (usually needs some lime coz' I have
sandy soil) early August.
2) Drench spray (ie: all leaves of clover wet, not just a few drops) entire
lawn, using Bin-Die (which is ok for Buffalo - check the bottle!) around mid
august just as the clover is starting to grow.
3) Repeat 1 to 2 weeks later (depending on the weather) when the clover is
just starting to show signs of life again.
4) Wait another week, remove any thatch with a steel rake and fertilize
heavily to encourage the lawn to take back what is rightfully its!
5) Keep it healthy (like thats possible in this drought!) to avoid the
problems to begin with.

Hope this helps those who follow! (The soft leaf buffalo's are great when
they are healthy.... but a bitch to get back to life when not! Don Burke has
a lot to answer for!)

Anyway, thats the theory. Thanx everyone for the help.

Till next year!

Ciao,
Dave.

Old 14-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

"Dave" writes:

"Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish" wrote in
message ...

I've always had good luck with cutting the clover short then
spreading ammonium sulphate just before light rain.

Hi Holy.

I tried ammonium sulfate on one section of the lawn (though I did not cut
the clover first - its pretty much at ground level so I don't think the
mower would do anything to it anyway).. and guess what - the clover
absolutely loved it! Its never been greener!

Maybe it's to do with you having sandy soil, and me having clayey
soil. We don't have a shortage of nitrogen in the first place, so
the extra nitrogen is probably too much for my clover but just right
for yours.