Old 18-09-2004, 02:08 AM
gromit

Default Hydrangeas

I inherited my garden when I bought the house a couple of years ago,
and am (finally) getting around to doing something with the garden. I
am a novice gardener, but know a few basics as I've been renting all
my adult life and have never had to care for a garden.

I have a small plot (approx 5m x 1.4m) which I am currently preparing
for planting roses. As it's an odd shape, there is some room left
over. I have a hydrangea in a pot which is just starting to become
active. I can recall my parent's house having hydrangeas, but they
were in the garden (not potted). I am wondering if it would be
beneficial for the plant if I transplanted it into some of the spare
area I have in this plot or is it best to leave it in the pot? I want
to move the pot/plant anyway from it's current location.

If I do transplant, what sort of soil preparation will I need to do? I
am located in the northern suburbs of Perth and have typically sandy
soil which I know will need some building up.

Sorry for the 20 questions ) I've been lurking in this group for a
while now and hopefully with get shown the right way. I am quite happy
to do my own research and feel free to provide any links. A google
search has had limited results hence my query here.

TIA

--
Phil
To reply delete "NOTHANKS"
Old 18-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Nancy

Hi Phil
I lived in Perth for some years and had hydrangeas in my garden.
As long as they are in shade or part shade they will be okay.
Keep the soil moist all the time and make sure you build up the soil as
they like rich soil.
Prune it back a bit in late winter or early spring and add some fertilizer.
happy gardening
cheers
Nancy

Old 19-09-2004, 03:50 AM
gromit

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:51:41 +0800, in aus.gardens
"Nancy" top posted:

I lived in Perth for some years and had hydrangeas in my garden.
As long as they are in shade or part shade they will be okay.
Keep the soil moist all the time and make sure you build up the soil as
they like rich soil.
Prune it back a bit in late winter or early spring and add some fertilizer.
happy gardening

[snip]

Thanks for that. The plot that I was going to put it in gets sun for
most of the day (being on the southern fence boundary), so it appears
as though this may be too much. I may just relocate the pot then. I
was of the impression these plants like a lot of sunshine (like
roses).

--
Phil
To reply delete "NOTHANKS"
Old 19-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Nancy

Thanks for that. The plot that I was going to put it in gets sun for
most of the day (being on the southern fence boundary), so it appears
as though this may be too much. I may just relocate the pot then. I
was of the impression these plants like a lot of sunshine (like
roses).

They do like a little morning sun, but the hot sun will burn the leaves and
the flowers.
cheers
Nancy

--
Phil
To reply delete "NOTHANKS"

Old 19-09-2004, 08:18 AM
MC

Hi,

My Grandmother's old patch of hydrangeas is on the southern side of the
house - mostly shade! And they are superb! I'm no expert, but I'd say they
are hardy little creatures once established! I pruned them back a couple of
months ago and put newspaper, lucerne and straw around them (mixed with
bloody and bone and dynamic lifter), so hopefully they will bloom more than
ever in the coming months. The new shoot are growing back slowly, but they
are the richest shade of green!

Am I right in thinking that summer is when they flower?

Also, what's the trick with dolomite/lime that changes the flower colours?

Anyways, just my two-cents ...
Cheers,
Mick

Old 20-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Luke

You can actually buy a product called Hydrangea Blue which will change the
colour of the flower from Pink to a blue/purple. I used to make it when i
worked for a garden care compnay.

cheers
Luke

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM