Old 07-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Tekmanx

Default Trident Maple

Anyone here tried to grow a trident maple in zone 10? I'm In South
Florida/Bahamas and there are soo many Bonsai plants that I would like
to grow that supposedly do not grow in my region. I mean of course
there are trees that grow only in cold regions...but can I bend the
rules and get something to grow in my region that's not exactly suppose
to?

Old 07-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Scott Roberts

--- Tekmanx wrote:

Anyone here tried to grow a trident maple in zone
10? I'm In South
Florida/Bahamas and there are soo many Bonsai plants
that I would like
to grow that supposedly do not grow in my region. I
mean of course
there are trees that grow only in cold regions...but
can I bend the
rules and get something to grow in my region that's
not exactly suppose
to?

I've tried once, but the conditions here are to arid.
Lost the tree quite quickly. Starting with fried
leaves, then the trunk started turning black from the
apex down. Although, you might have better luck in
a more humid locale. I now have to keep mostly desert
trees....(yawn).

Scott R
Phoenix - zone 10-million

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Hi Tekmanx,

I live in Greece, (zone 10), and I have a 8 inch
Trident Maple (a few months old - grown from seed)
which is doing fine.
I keep it out of the strong morning sun, water it as
needed and it looks very healthy so far.
I am sure you can do at least as well with this
species, because as far as I know, humidity in Florida
is considerably higher than here in Greece and this
will help you.

best of luck
Dimitris

Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Tiziano

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:
Hi Tekmanx,

I live in Greece, (zone 10), and I have a 8 inch
Trident Maple (a few months old - grown from seed)
which is doing fine.
I keep it out of the strong morning sun, water it as
needed and it looks very healthy so far.
I am sure you can do at least as well with this
species, because as far as I know, humidity in Florida
is considerably higher than here in Greece and this
will help you.

for your info
exists a variety of trident maple that is called
Crete trident maple Acer sempervirens
http://lesvisites.free.fr/140voyages...04-261_JPG.jpg
http://images.google.it/images?svnum...ens&btnG=Cerca
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jardin-sec/i...mpervirens.jpg
is in Turkey too
Crete is not a cold place at all
The maple is a very strong one
I have one from seedlings we have 2 plants in
Geneva switzerland zone 7
is just like trident maple but leaves are
thicker like bay leaves and normally it is
partially an evergreen, it means that loose a part
of leaves during winther time but not all of them

THEO
POST TENEBRAS LUX

Think like an Alien might think

http://groups.google.it/group/free.it.arte.bonsai
http://www.easybonsai.altervista.org/

Old 10-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Kev Bailey

I think Acer sempervirens may be the seeds you sent me Theo, as the
description fits. Three are flourishing and have overwintered outdoors in
the UK (Zone 9). They are fast growing and show great promise.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
N Wales, UK, Zone 9

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

Old 15-11-2005, 03:08 AM
GOTO BENOSE

Default [IBC] Trident Maple

i can't seeem to grow them at all in zone 7
what am i dooing wrong

Old 15-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Tiziano

GOTO BENOSE wrote:

i can't seeem to grow them at all in zone 7
what am i dooing wrong

I am in zone 7 also switzerland and I found 3
adult trees in the parks and only one brings
seeds , far too many seeds , that apparently
means that very little are alive ,
of about 20 I put into ground I have just 5-6
germinated 2 left and one is very strong almost 3
years old right now 15" tall about
I am trying this year with griseum that has
ugly 3 lobed leaves but a wonderful exfoliating
cinnamon red shining bark,starting even on 1/2
" size branches and some cultivar has very vivid
red leaves , carry very little seedlings though
http://www.ghhf.org/images/Acer-griseum-1b.jpg