Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Hardware Cloth

Some of you may recall that I went to Home Depot to find hardware cloth and
they didn't know what I was talking about. This morning I went to a local
hardware store that is two towns away from me because all of the other
(closer) local hardware stores went out of business when Home Depot moved
in.

Surprise! That hardware store now only sells Weber grills and propane. They
suggested I try the local hardware store one more town over. Thank goodness
they were still there and they knew what hardware cloth was. Unfortunately
they only sold the 1/4 or 1/2 inch and not the 1/8th. They couldn't even
order it.

I came home, got on my trusty computer and shopped the internet. I ordered
some rolls of 1/8th inch hardware cloth which should be delivered right to
my door sometime next week. I probably paid too much but I refuse to keep
driving around on a Saturday with so many other things to do.

Thanks for the help and for the vent.
John-NJ

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
dalecochoy

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
John NJ

Thanks for the offer Dale. I will be at the convention. I'll just let the
order stand. It was $19.96 for a each roll of 1/8"x36"x10' plus 6% sales
tax (they're in NJ) and $6 for shipping on the whole order. I also ordered
a roll of 1/8"x48"x10' for $28.30. I don't know if this high or not but it
seems like it. I'm paying for the convenience.

Thanks again.
John-NJ

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Bart Thomas

order stand. It was $19.96 for a each roll of 1/8"x36"x10' plus 6% sales
tax (they're in NJ) and $6 for shipping on the whole order. I also

ordered
a roll of 1/8"x48"x10' for $28.30. I don't know if this high or not but

it
seems like it. I'm paying for the convenience.

Beats driving all over the state!

Bart

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Iris Cohen

Some of you may recall that I went to Home Depot to find hardware cloth and
they didn't know what I was talking about. BRBR

are you planning to use hardware cloth to cover the drainholes in your bonsai
pots? I wouldn't recommend it. It may corrode before you get a chance to repot.
Why not use plastic?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 30-03-2003, 05:08 AM
oldehippie

"are you planning to use hardware cloth to cover the drainholes in your
bonsai
pots? I wouldn't recommend it. It may corrode before you get a chance to
repot.
Why not use plastic?"

Sorry, not really following the thread but is hardware cloth like netting or
more like cloth? If like netting or screen rather, is it possible
replacement screening for a camping tent, or screened in patio would work?
It is open like screen but not metal, more like plastic, can be cut with
scissors.

I don't know how quick it would muck up though since the holes are small.

Olde Hippie

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers

Old 30-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Marty & Patty Weiser

Hardware cloth is made from relatively heavy steel wire that is laid up
in a square pattern (some versions are woven) and run through a
galvanizing (generally molten zinc) bath to both bond the wires together
and give some corrosion resistance. I checked the 8, 4, and 3 per inch
hardware cloth I have and the wires are 0.47, 0.64, and 0.80 mm diameter
respectively. Yes, the material corrodes over time, but I have had some
in continuous service for over six years and it is discolored but still
intact - even when spanning over 12 inches (30 cm) in the bottom of a
grow box.

I have also not found the zinc galvanizing to stop root growth. They
grow right through it when they are filling the bottom of the pot. I
have even seen roots grow so they enclose the wires when I am letting
them grow into the ground to get a big thick trunk.

I like to use the 4 per inch hardware cloth for most pots since I have
rarely seen it clog roots or soil fines between repottings. I have seen
clogging in both 8 per inch hardware cloth, plastic hobby mesh, and
particularly window screen (approximately 16 wires per inch). However,
I do use the 8 wires per inch hardware cloth for trees where I am using
a finer soil - they are further along the path. I know there are people
who use all three of the things I don't like very successfully -
different soils, watering, repotting, etc. all contribute to this.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 08:56 AM
oldehippie

"Hardware cloth is made from relatively heavy steel wire that is laid up
in a square pattern (some versions are woven) and run through a
galvanizing (generally molten zinc) bath to both bond the wires together
and give some corrosion resistance. I checked the 8, 4, and 3 per inch
hardware cloth I have and the wires are 0.47, 0.64, and 0.80 mm diameter
respectively."

8 snipped the rest 8

Well that helps me. Hardware cloth is not what I thought it was, thanks for
the explanation. In my area what you explained is commonly used for small
animal cages, bunnies, cavies and the like, usually in 1/4" 'holes'.

Olde Hippie

Old 30-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

Some of you may recall that I went to Home Depot to find hardware cloth and
they didn't know what I was talking about. BRBR

are you planning to use hardware cloth to cover the drainholes in your bonsai
pots? I wouldn't recommend it. It may corrode before you get a chance to repot.
Why not use plastic?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Iris is right. The plastic canvas is so cheap--25 cents a sheet at Walmart.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++