Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Bonsai partnership

Glad you enjoyed it. I have enough friends who are commercially and
artistically successful painter to make me sure that I could bring this
closer to home for the group.

A work in process, whether a painting, bonsai, or Great American Novel, is
NOT a relic of the true cross. Probably many more have been trashed than
have survived.

Would you or I want to have something given to us from Michaelangelo's,
Picasso's, or Kimura's trash pile? I think so.

Regards.

Bart
Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

. . . but EVERGREEN pear???????????

Whatzit?

Pyrus 'Kawakami', available from Brent, who describes it:

"Evergreen (partially deciduous in coldest areas) shrub or
small tree. Drooping branchlets, shiny medium green leaves, clouds
of creamy white flowers in late winter or early
spring, just after mume. Sometimes forms small hard inedible green
fruit. Without training it becomes large sprawling
shrub. It is better used as a small tree by staking it up and
selecting a single trunk. Quickly forms rough bark
consisting of irregular oblong shaped plates which is quite
attractive (see second photo). A quite tough little plant
surviving adverse conditions of sun, little water, poor soil, but
can only tolerate temperatures to 15F. It is also one of the
few pears resistant to Fireblight. This plant has been overlooked
for bonsai but would seem to have great potential. It is
easily top and root pruned. The leaves do reduce somewhat and it
develops characteristic bark fairly quickly."
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Thanks.

If I had looked it up first . . . Anyway, Dirr (Woody Landscape
Plants) says "Pyrus kawakamii, Evergreen Pear, is a small,
rounded evergreen tree that offers abundant white flowers in
late
winter or early spring. tends toward a large shrub and the
branches droop and sprawl. Used on the West Coast, particularly
California. I have seen a few trees on the Georgia coast but
they were decimated by fireblight. The branches may develop
thorns. Fruit is globose, glabrous, about 1/2" across and
inedible."

So Dirr considers "kawakamii" to be a species and says it IS
susceptible to fireblight. ???

I have Pyrus pyrifolia, Chinese Sand Pear, but Dirr says nothing
about its susceptibility. I've has a couple in pots for 8 years
or so now and have only had black spot disease on the leaves.
Easily controllable.

jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 08:34 PM 5/22/03 -0400, Jim Lewis wrote:

[...]

Jim

That's not my experience. I live in pear country. Most of the US supply of
pears comes from Mendocino and Lake Counties. Fireblight is a well known
problem here. I have grown two ornamental pears, Harbin Pear, Pyrus
ussuriensis which is grown as an understock and Pyrus kawakami. Harbin pear
gets fireblight at the drop of a hat. I have lost some really nice ones and
have given up on it. On the other hand, I ignore P. kawakami and it never
dies. It gets some spots on the leaves but they never amount to much. Nina
had hers for years until it succumbed this year, she can tell you more
about growing it on the East Coast.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Seeking partnership, investors for a unique product Mike Lawns 0 25-05-2006 11:07 PM
[IBC] ****X-bonsai (was: [IBC] Bonsai Figurine - Warrios / Samuai / Bushido etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2004 03:27 PM
[IBC] Pear (was:[IBC] Bonsai partnership) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 30-05-2003 07:20 PM
Bonsai partnership Lisa Kanis Bonsai 1 22-05-2003 12:32 PM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM