Old 21-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] Bonsai partnership

Lisa,
I apprexciate your feelings, but would offer some consolation. To me,
bonsai is a process: not an end in itself. The pleasure of working with
trees, increasing their beauty as you work, is the real reward in bonsai.
It's the process, not the result that counts. If you think of it in these
terms, you will never look back with regret upon the hours, months and years
spent with bonsai.
Marty
Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Alan Walker

Good thought, Marty. I agree. I have also noticed that my colleagues who trade and
sell bonsai tend to have the best bonsai. They invest a lot of energy and time into
the tree but don't feel compelled to hang on to them like I do. Their collections
usually look better than mine, and they learn more. There's a lesson in there, if
I'd only use it. ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
=================================
Marty Haber wrote:
Lisa,
I appreciate your feelings, but would offer some consolation. To me,

Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Bonsai aren't pets. Plants reciprocate no warm and fuzzy
feelings like a dog will (or a cat -- sometimes -- while you are
petting it. There's absolutely no point in getting emotionally
involved with a tree in a pot. There are always more where that
one came from.

Enjoy them, by all means, but as "things" not as "family."

David Thoreau - Walden

Marty Haber wrote:
[...]

SNIP

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 07:56 PM
John Carnes

I would suggest that if you have to get rid of some trees you might
consider giving them to friends, or beginners or people at your local
bonsai club. Maybe it would help reduce the sting of letting a tree go.
You could "keep in touch" so to speak. Some might cringe at the
thought of giving a nice tree to a beginner. People seem to be
outraged by mallsai, but for a lot of us, including me, our first trees
were mallsai. Giving a decent tree, and help with care, to a beginner
would help someone get off to a good start, and might be a good way
to burn off some bad karma. Just a thought.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Jim,

This (bonsai as "pets" or "family") was not the thrust of either the
comments here or of my comments in the essay. The fact is that the artist
and the tree have a partnership that necessitates cooperation in ways not
found in most (any?) other art(s). Selling or giving away something that is
unfinished, with the balance of "our" plans being unrealized is a bit
different than selling/giving away a work of art/possession that does not
carry this kind of baggage. This is not to say that doing so involves an
overabundance of drama, but it is often a bit more difficult.

Anyway, let's not mischaracterize the gist here.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas
http://www.bunjindesign.com/bonsai/

Old 21-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Well, Andy . . . I don't subscribe to BT Online and haven't read
the article/essay. I wasn't, in fact, commenting on anything you
wrote, but only on the warm and fuzzy tinge some of the message
in this thread seemed to be taking on. Bonsai don't "care" who
owns them, or even if they're owned. And, while I'll give people
trees every so often, cheapskate that I am, I hate like heck to
give away the pots! ;-)

In any event, I prefer not to imbue bonsai with too much
"deepness" or "significance." It is enough, I think, to enjoy
working with the trees and letting them be a means of relaxation
and perhaps, occasionally, creation (but that may be getting too
significant).

David Thoreau - Walden

[...]

***************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen

Gardenworks++++

***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Alan Walker

Jim: I see your point, but it's a tough thing for a lot of people to do. It
doesn't matter so much that our bonsai don't purr or wag their tails or get all
excited to see us. For many of us, the sentiment comes from our personal investment
into the bonsai. This is not so different from the uncomfortable feelings one has
wen selling a home and listening to the prospective buyers talk about how they want
to change something that you really worked on and made the house special to you.
Some of us are sentimental, and others are not. Vive la difference!
================================
Jim Lewis wrote:
Well, Andy . . . I don't subscribe to BT Online and haven't read
the article/essay. I wasn't, in fact, commenting on anything you
wrote, but only on the warm and fuzzy tinge some of the message
in this thread seemed to be taking on. Bonsai don't "care" who
owns them, or even if they're owned. And, while I'll give people
trees every so often, cheapskate that I am, I hate like heck to
give away the pots! ;-)

In any event, I prefer not to imbue bonsai with too much
"deepness" or "significance." It is enough, I think, to enjoy
working with the trees and letting them be a means of relaxation
and perhaps, occasionally, creation (but that may be getting too
significant).
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL
======

Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello to All,

Jim,

HUH ?

You can really floor me with these opinions.

You know I have a brass ring made around 1945
in the shape of the Bomber wings.The work on
the ring is much more involved that what is
passing as Bomber wings in sterling silver on
Ebay.

It's a thing,but if I lost or damaged it,it would
really hurt.Especially since I had to work to get
the money to buy it back in the early 80's in
Philadelphia.[I only wear one ring.]

Yes,Bonsai,are trees and they don't wag or scratch
but there are many memories and I do get worried
if they go off colour or just don't look healthy[forget
the training].If stolen I would be very hurt,as much
as if someone burnt a painting I had done or an Old
Master.

When I send a tree away,I try to find them good homes
or I go quietly and put them back where they came
from.
When they die I ash them and re-use them as glaze.

There is stuff,or things,but when one spends so much
time on anything, there are bound to be memories.

But what the h.e. double toothpicks,this is probably one
of your statements designed to get a response.
Confused Khaimraj.
[West Indies/Caribbean,
Sempre Spring Zone.]

* I sometimes wonder if those who cannot design or
create can understand destruction beyond the loss
of companionship.Essentially their own self loss.
Empathy.

Bonsai aren't pets. Plants reciprocate no warm and fuzzy
feelings like a dog will (or a cat -- sometimes -- while you are
petting it. There's absolutely no point in getting emotionally
involved with a tree in a pot. There are always more where that
one came from.

Enjoy them, by all means, but as "things" not as "family."

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

Old 21-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim: I see your point, but it's a tough thing for a lot of
people to do. It
doesn't matter so much that our bonsai don't purr or wag their

tails or get all
excited to see us. For many of us, the sentiment comes from

our personal investment
into the bonsai. This is not so different from the

uncomfortable feelings one has
wen selling a home and listening to the prospective buyers talk

about how they want
to change something that you really worked on and made the

house special to you.
Some of us are sentimental, and others are not. Vive

la difference!

Yeah. On occasion, Jackie would put me in the "not" camp, I'm
sure.

As for homes . . . it's all in what you call them, I guess --
homes or houses. I have lived in 37 towns in 8 countries, went
to 14 schools before I graduated from high school -- in Tokyo. I
can part with a home/house as easily as I can part from a bonsai
(but not the bonsai's "home" -- its pot ;-).

Dogs and wives are a totally different thing. I've had scores of
dogs and deeply mourned each of them as they left us; I've had
one wife for 43 years now, and hope I don't have to mourn her for
a good number of years!

And Khaimraj, I'm sorry if I surprised or disappointed you, but
what are you grieving about when a tree dies? The Tree? Or all
the "wasted" effort you put into it for . . . in other words,
are you grieving for yourself?

Now, I'd be a very unhappy (and even grumpier) person without
bonsai in my life, but while I may regret when a tree I thought
was pretty dies, I don't go into mourning; I'll look at the
roots and break a limb or two in an attempt to discover what
might have been the cause, then toss the carcass into the woods.
(And yes, I'll cuss at it if it was one I'd spent a lot of time
over.) I've just gone through an exercise where I've tossed out
a couple of dozen putative bonsai that I finally saw weren't
gonna ever make it as bonsai. They had their chance. No
regrets -- on either part.

Old 21-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello to All,

Jim,

confused,not disappointed.

When a tree dies [ a couple of years ago I had a
36 year old Sparrow Plum /Sweet Plum die],it's the
tree and all the memories that I miss.

Hence the ashing,gone but not forgotten.

Hmm,never thought about the effort part.For me
Bonsai are memories.It is after all ,all we take when
we move on .......

Trees with me tend to die very slowly,as I do every
thing I can to save it.With the sparrow plum it was
about 10 months.Why did it die.Because I didn't realise
that the Chinese just chop and not root prune.
The tree rotted beyond it's 3 roots and then the rot
encircled the last matchstick thick cambiums.
Fortunately,I took cuttings in the first year I got the
tree.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean,
Sempre Spring Zone.]

Old 22-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Nina Shishkoff

No one is likely to confuse me with a sentimentalist, and indeed,
nothing ruins my day faster than getting a bonsai-Doctor diagnostic
form that ends "I gave this bonsai to my wife on our anniversary as a
testament of our love, and now it's dying! Please Help!"

However, I hate losing a tree. You not only lose all the care and
training you put into it, but you lose all the plans you had for it
in the future. I just lost an evergreen pear I've been working on
for 8 years, that was just starting to look the way I envisioned it
should look. I miss the cracked bark. I miss the shiny leaves. One
of these years, it would have bloomed pear blossoms. But not now.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim Lewis

I just lost an evergreen pear I've been working on
for 8 years, that was just starting to look the way I

envisioned it
should look. I miss the cracked bark. I miss the shiny

leaves. One
of these years, it would have bloomed pear blossoms. But not

now.

Well, there's that. I lost an I. vomitoria this spring that was
just getting where it was supposed to be.

Sorry about the pear . . . but EVERGREEN pear???????????

Whatzit?

Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Carl L Rosner

To Nina and all:
The reason I take photos is that I can always look at what my tree(s)
looked like (good or bad). So it is a sort of permanent record of my
feeble attempts.

People have asked me how Ican part with my paintings. After all I have
produced close to 800 paintings and have less than 100 scattered home
and at galleries. My answer is the same. I take pictures or slides and
that reminds me of my efforts to produce that particular painting (or
tree).

So I guess I fall in the Jim Lewis camp in that respect. I'm sure we
both have a lot of company!!! ;-)

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Bart Thomas

----- Original Message ----- The reason I take photos is that I can always
look at what my tree(s)
looked like (good or bad). So it is a sort of permanent record of my
feeble attempts.

As I look at this discussion, I am reminded of the expressed need to "talk
to your plants" (Musta been from the feel-good seventies). This was aimed
at houseplants, so I talked to them, and said, "My way, or the dumpster."

Looking backward, I may have been a little short on tact, and hard on those
plants, whose only duty was to survive, but it has helped me with bonsai,
and I cull my collection with the ruthlessness of a sales manager.

Do I have trees that would be embarrasing to show? Of course. Most of these
are in the experiment stage; (I call them "victims").

Would my best trees be an embarrasment in the collection of one of the
masters on the list? Of course, But they are all an ongoing process that I
enjoy Some I keep simply because I remember what they have come from. The
enjoyment is greater when the process leads to something beautiful.

Carl does beautiful paintings. But, I'm sure that he has experiments that
have either been sanded off, if he works on board, or have disappeared under
a new painting. I feel that bonsai is the same way.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Bart:

I had to laugh at the last paragraph....you are absolutely right.
Paintings that have never seen the light of day are trashed!!! (all
three of them!) :-D don't I wish!

Best regards and thanks for the good laugh!

Carl

Bart Thomas wrote:

[...]

Seeking partnership, investors for a unique product Mike Lawns 0 25-05-2006 11:07 PM
[IBC] ****X-bonsai (was: [IBC] Bonsai Figurine - Warrios / Samuai / Bushido etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2004 03:27 PM
[IBC] Pear (was:[IBC] Bonsai partnership) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 30-05-2003 07:20 PM
Bonsai partnership Lisa Kanis Bonsai 1 22-05-2003 12:32 PM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM