Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Florida BSF convention Ft. Myers

I'm back from Ft. Myers.
Great time, bonsai, weather, food, bonsai, vendor area, display, workshops, bonsai, and demos and raffles and auction and bonsai friends.
If you live in Florida....and say you do bonsai....but didn't go....
Well, to bad, you missed it !!
If you weren't there....you were square!

Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Jim Lewis

I'm back from Ft. Myers.
Great time, bonsai, weather, food, bonsai, vendor area, display,
workshops, bonsai, and demos and raffles and auction and bonsai
friends.
If you live in Florida....and say you do bonsai....but didn't
go....
Well, to bad, you missed it !!
If you weren't there....you were square!

=============

Well, Dale, if the Florida Society would ever do anything but
tropicals, tropicals, tropicals, I'd be there. The last one they
did that had anything that was really UN-tropical was in Ft.
Walton Beach. And I was there. We'll see what they have in
Brevard next year.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Rob Kempinski

On Wed, 28 May 2003 17:22:14 -0400, Jim Lewis
wrote:

I'm back from Ft. Myers.
Great time, b..........
============

Well, Dale, if the Florida Society would ever do anything but
tropicals, tropicals, tropicals, I'd be there. The last one they
did that had anything that was really UN-tropical was in Ft.
Walton Beach. And I was there. We'll see what they have in
Brevard next year.

Jim, Send in your registration money now because after you hear
what we are planning you'll be coming.

First off, the work shop material for next year includes a great mix of
species including at least 4 that will live in your area outside through
the winter. These are collected Bald Cypress (great taper and trunks,
monster Black Titi (Clifonia microphylla)(a rare but very suitable
bonsai species)(some of these have 14 to 17 inch trunks), chunky
collected Hornbeam and some really good size Japanese Black Pine
(really good deal on these, even if they are a longer term project.).
Throw in a buttonwood work shop, and some big ficus retusa, and a
new Ficus hetrafolia workshop into the mix. We will also have some
very reasonable shohin workshops with some very well established
Ilex schillings and Ficus salicifolia - well under $100 to participate.
The collected trees will have been collected for more than 2 years by
the time the convention rolls around. The other material has been
groomed for over 3 years. The Brevard club understands the
importance of good collected material so we have been working hard
to get some good stuff - stuff we would like to work on ourselves.

The visting artists include Ben Oki (Florida has adopted him), David
Degroot , Gary Marchal, Jim Smith, Ed Trout, Mary Madison, Jim
VanLandingham, Mike Cartrett and me (my premier). Their demos
will feature outstanding tees. We have gathered many to choose from
but they incldue a great Bald Cypress, a really large Black TiTi, an
impressive bougainvillea, a driftwood laden buttonwood, a shapley
hornbeam, ficus galore, probably a gnarly Podocarpus, possibly a
large azalea and others.

We have also been hoarding great material for the raffle table - this
will definitely be a convention to improve the quality of the participants
collection. I've heard that some of the guest artists plan to take some
of the workshops to get at the material for themselves.!

The hotel will be great and is in Cape Canaveral. It featrues a really
cool swimming pool and it's near the beach and space center and
cruise lines.

I'm running the display and it will be special and a bit different. (here's
a tidbit - it will include a koi pond!!)

We have gotten nearly 70 % of the vendor tables sold already so
things are moving .

May weather in Florida is superb and Orlando and its attractions is
less than an hour car drive away.

Hope to see you and everyone else on the list next year for "Bonsai for
Tomorrow - on the Space Coast 2004."

Regards,

Rob Kempinski

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Bart Thomas

Rob:

Sounds like my kind of party! Well worth a drive down from New Jersey.

I nearly came to this year's show.

Regards,

Bart
On Wed, 28 May 2003 17:22:14 -0400, Jim Lewis
wrote:

I'm back from Ft. Myers.
Great time, b..........
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Jim Lewis

On Wed, 28 May 2003 17:22:14 -0400, Jim Lewis
wrote:

I'm back from Ft. Myers.
Great time, b..........
If you live in Florida....and say you do bonsai....but didn't
go....
Well, to bad, you missed it !!
============

Well, Dale, if the Florida Society would ever do anything but
tropicals, tropicals, tropicals, I'd be there. The last one

they
did that had anything that was really UN-tropical was in Ft.
Walton Beach. And I was there. We'll see what they have in
Brevard next year.

Jim, Send in your registration money now because after you

hear
what we are planning you'll be coming.

Sounds great, Rob! Expect to see me there. I've often thought
that titi would make a neat bonsai, so you may expect to see me
in that workshop. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Just back
from St. Pete where Mick Sgroi and I dug five or six nifty
50-year-old natal plums. _I_ even brought one home. Total
number of true tropicals now in my collection: 2 ;-)

Old 07-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Richard Zieminski

Thank you very much for all the information. However I would like to be
removed from the list until further notice. On the road to much and not enough
time to read all the mail.

See you again.

Richard Zieminski

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++