Old 04-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Dante Catoni

Default [IBC] Azaleas from workshop turning black

It's been a few weeks since the RIBS bonsai workshop and I don't think our
(mine and my fiancee) trees are looking too healthy. Some of the leaves are
turning black starting at the tips and edges and working in. I also don't
see any new growth at all. I've been using the stick method for watering,
but it's been raining so much I've only had to water them about 5 times.
Could they be getting too much water? The only other thing I can think of is
they don't get enough sun. They get sun in the morning, but only part sun
(through the tall trees behind my house) the rest of the day.

Thanks
Dante
Zone 6 RI

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim Lewis

It's been a few weeks since the RIBS bonsai workshop and I
don't think our
(mine and my fiancee) trees are looking too healthy. Some of

the leaves are
turning black starting at the tips and edges and working in. I

also don't
see any new growth at all. I've been using the stick method for

watering,
but it's been raining so much I've only had to water them about

5 times.
Could they be getting too much water? The only other thing I

can think of is
they don't get enough sun. They get sun in the morning, but

only part sun
(through the tall trees behind my house) the rest of the day.

That's enough sun. Sounds to me like the soil is too wet. What
kind of soil is it?

What was done to the trees at the workshop? How much root was
cut?

How many leaves constitute "some?"

Are any leaves turning yellow?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Dante Catoni

What was done to the trees at the workshop? How much root was
cut?

About 3/4 of the branches on mine were removed and half of the root ball,
only about 1/3 branches on the other and half the root ball.

How many leaves constitute "some?"

About 10% on one and about 50% on the other with the more extensive branch
trimming.

Are any leaves turning yellow?

No, no leaves are yellow.

Thanks for your help.
Dante
Zone 6 RI

Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Jim Lewis

What was done to the trees at the workshop? How much root
was
cut?

About 3/4 of the branches on mine were removed and half of the

root ball,
only about 1/3 branches on the other and half the root ball.

How many leaves constitute "some?"

About 10% on one and about 50% on the other with the more

extensive branch
trimming.

Are any leaves turning yellow?

No, no leaves are yellow.

And the soil? Heavy? Light? Too Wet?

It REALLY sounds like a root problem.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Dante Catoni

It's a premade bonsai mix, thats all I know. I don't think that it is too
wet. On the few days that it hasn't rained the stick would come out dry.
Should I lift them out to look at the roots?

Dante

Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Jim Lewis

It's a premade bonsai mix, thats all I know. I don't think that
it is too
wet. On the few days that it hasn't rained the stick would come

out dry.
Should I lift them out to look at the roots?

Hard to say. Having just gone through a workshop and had half of
the rootball cut away (which may have been a bit excessive) it is
unlikely you can lift these from their pots and have the rootball
stay together.

I _think_ I'd leave them alone for now. Your trees may just be
expressing their shock at losing half their roots.

The thoughts of others would be appreciated.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Carl L Rosner

I would just add to Jim's observations and suggestions, that if it
continues to rain (like it has been doing here in NJ) to cover the soil
with Alumnum foil for at least half the time (every other day). This
wll help stopping the roots from being flooded.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48