Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Dmitry Akselrod

Default [IBC] Vacation Tree Problem

Hello everyone,

I was away for a little more than a week. During that time I had entrusted
my trees to a friend. I never thought that he was a bonsai expert, and it
appears that my judgment was correct. Upon my return, my serissa (i know, i
know) was dry. most of the leaves have shriveled up and dried out. The
dirt was quite dry. I scratched the bark closer to the top of the tree's
both trunks and it seems that it is still quite green. I guess there is
hope.

I removed most of the dried up leaves, once that have no chance of returning
to health. The half-wilted leaves, i left on the tree. I put the tree in
the sink for about 20 minutes to completely soak the soil, and put it back
in the window. I noticed that some of the wilted leaves are returning to
normal this morning.

Is there another step I should take to nurse my baby back to health? Should
I try a home made ICU with a plastic bag? Or should I leave it alone? I
live in Philadelphia, and the temperature is currently 96 degrees with 100%
humidity. Should move the tree out of direct sunlight?

Is there a service that would take my trees and watch them next time I go on
vacation? Unfortunately, my friends do not share my love for bonsai.

Thanx in advance everyone,

Dmitry

PS. Does the IBC take donations? I didn't see anything on the site about
donations, just sponsorship. The people in this forum have saved my butt so
many times now. I really owe everyone the health of trees (and other
plants).