Old 24-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Dmitry Akselrod

Default [IBC] Vacation Tree Problem

Hello everyone,

I was away for a little more than a week. During that time I had entrusted
my trees to a friend. I never thought that he was a bonsai expert, and it
appears that my judgment was correct. Upon my return, my serissa (i know, i
know) was dry. most of the leaves have shriveled up and dried out. The
dirt was quite dry. I scratched the bark closer to the top of the tree's
both trunks and it seems that it is still quite green. I guess there is
hope.

I removed most of the dried up leaves, once that have no chance of returning
to health. The half-wilted leaves, i left on the tree. I put the tree in
the sink for about 20 minutes to completely soak the soil, and put it back
in the window. I noticed that some of the wilted leaves are returning to
normal this morning.

Is there another step I should take to nurse my baby back to health? Should
I try a home made ICU with a plastic bag? Or should I leave it alone? I
live in Philadelphia, and the temperature is currently 96 degrees with 100%
humidity. Should move the tree out of direct sunlight?

Is there a service that would take my trees and watch them next time I go on
vacation? Unfortunately, my friends do not share my love for bonsai.

Thanx in advance everyone,

Dmitry

PS. Does the IBC take donations? I didn't see anything on the site about
donations, just sponsorship. The people in this forum have saved my butt so
many times now. I really owe everyone the health of trees (and other
plants).

Old 24-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Bart Thomas

I live in Philadelphia, and the temperature is currently 96 degrees with
100%
humidity.

Is there a service that would take my trees and watch them next time I go

on
vacation?

In New Hope (about an hour from you) Rosade Bonsai will board your trees.
(215) 862-5925. They are the best.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

You've probably done what's necessary. Whatever you do, while
most of the leaves are off of it (expect the remaining leaves to
fall also) do NOT overwater. Leafless trees have much less need
for water.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Ben Griffin

Half a year later a little mame serissa of mine is
still recovering from the care of a friend.......
Serissa is just one of those trees you can't leave
with anyone unless they are very good with bonsai.

Ben

http://sbc.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Half a year later a little mame serissa of mine is
still recovering from the care of a friend.......
Serissa is just one of those trees you can't leave
with anyone unless they are very good with bonsai.

BUT . . . while they may drop their leaves at the slightest
affront, overall they seem to be pretty tough. I think too many
people give up on Serissa when the leaves drop. They CAN
recover.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Reluctantly,
as a member of the IHSC, noting that they do have virtues. ;-)

Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

thanx for you suggestions everyone, I will give it a chance of course. The
tree is quite old, it is especially dear to me. I just found out that my
friend only watered the tree once during my 1.5 week absence. nice, eh?

dmitry

****

****

Old 25-06-2003, 03:08 AM
wsallen

Dmitry Akselrod wrote in message ...
Hello everyone,

snip
I removed most of the dried up leaves, once that have no chance of

returning
to health. The half-wilted leaves, i left on the tree. I put the tree in
the sink for about 20 minutes to completely soak the soil, and put it back
in the window. I noticed that some of the wilted leaves are returning to
normal this morning.

Is there another step I should take to nurse my baby back to health?

Should
I try a home made ICU with a plastic bag? Or should I leave it alone? I
live in Philadelphia, and the temperature is currently 96 degrees with 100%
humidity. Should move the tree out of direct sunlight?

If some of the leaves are returning to normal don't do anything! *s* Perhaps
sacrifice a goat or something...

Is there a service that would take my trees and watch them next time I go

on
vacation? Unfortunately, my friends do not share my love for bonsai.

What about a local bonsai nursery, they may do stuff like this for a fee or
for free (mine does, bless, for 4 months for me once!).

Thanx in advance everyone,

Dmitry

PS. Does the IBC take donations? I didn't see anything on the site about
donations, just sponsorship. The people in this forum have saved my butt

so
many times now. I really owe everyone the health of trees (and other
plants).

See the, [IBC] Many Thanks, post from Reiner, just above your original post
for details.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

PS. Any pics of this Serissa to share on the gallery?