Old 04-08-2003, 12:13 AM
Ed Spaans

Default [IBC] Question on cascade bonsai style.

Hi All:

A demonstrator at my bonsai club said that cascade bonsai should NOT have a
forked tail at the end. I was too interested in watching the design at hand
that I failed to ask why. Anyone here would like to jump in?

Ed. Spaans
SW lower MI where we have had continuous lightning and thunder for almost 3
hours!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Martin

Yes, Billy, the classic cascade is an upside-down triangle. The only
variant is the tip at the bottom, which is turned to the side as though it
were trying to reverse itself to seek the sun. Yet, I think it's a bit
artificial when I see cascades with a minature bonsai growing at the point
where the trunk begins its plunge downward. One thing's for sure ... in
order for a cascade to be effective, it needs a sharp angle on the trunk
when it leaves the lip of the pot.
Marty
In a message dated 8/3/2003 6:35:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

A demonstrator at my bonsai club said that cascade bonsai should NOT

have a
forked tail at the end. I was too interested in watching the design at

hand
that I failed to ask why. Anyone here would like to jump in?

Bonsai is art, art is about leading the eye, a fork confuses the eye. It
doesn't know which way to go.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-08-2003, 03:10 AM
Jim Lewis

Yet, I think it's a bit
artificial when I see cascades with a miniature bonsai

growing at the point
where the trunk begins its plunge downward.

I agree.

And not only is it "artificial" it often is downright odd
looking -- even ugly.

Jim Lewis - -
Tallahassee, FL - The phrase 'sustainable growth' is an
oxymoron. - Stephen Viederman

Old 04-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Iris Cohen

A demonstrator at my bonsai club said that cascade bonsai should NOT have a
forked tail at the end. I was too interested in watching the design at hand
that I failed to ask why.

It would look like the devil.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 26-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Steve wachs

it has to d with the flow of the tree. if you have a fork at the end your
eye has nowhere to go. this holds true to most forms of art
steve wachs

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++