Old 22-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] How do you measure a cascade's size?

My friend, Jane Nelson, just asked me how to measure a cascades height. I
assume this would be for show classification.
Anyone know how this is done legally?

Thanks for your help.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Jerry,

I dunno about "leagally," but the way I've been taught (and have seen
everywhere in magazines) is from the highest point (apex or top of bend) to
the bottom of the cascade.

If it is a pine, of course, you measure the apex not to the needle tips, but
to the shoot tip.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

Old 22-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Anyone know how this is done legally?

Tell her if she does it illegally, it's life without parole as
curator of the bonsai garden of her choice.

;-)

Andy's right.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Iris Cohen

My friend, Jane Nelson, just asked me how to measure a cascade's height.

The most significant measurement is the length of the tail, which is measured
from the point at which it turns down to the tip.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 22-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

I liked Andy's explanation... but for clarification, I'm supposing the "height" of a cascade is the vertical distance from the plane established by the highest point (apex or top of bend) to the plane established by the bottom & most extended element (whic
h is probably a tertiary branch or its foliage). They are vertically aligned along the same line as the center line of the container when viewed from the front in formal styling (Zane's Chpt. 8, p. 7), but not in informal styling. Tom Zane's _Intermedia
te Bonsai (Course Syllabus)_ clarifies the intended visual relationship as well or better than any source I've seen... and its on-line http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/intermediate/.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 02-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Steve wachs

the height of the pot depends on the overall size of the tree. I woud think that you had a tree that was shaped. I think there are other factors besides the length of the tree. you have to consider the type of tree the type of cascade design. branch numbe
r and placement. all these have to balance.
one tree can look good in different size pots , depending on how the tree is placed.
I love Cascades. If they are done right they can look awesome.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Cascade Pot Iris Cohen Bonsai 11 27-11-2004 10:06 PM
[IBC] Texas Ebony cascade?? Carl L Rosner Bonsai 11 25-11-2003 05:02 PM
[IBC] Question on cascade bonsai style. Ed Spaans Bonsai 7 26-08-2003 04:02 PM
[IBC] Shimpaku Cascade [email protected] Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] Cascade creation guidance Marc Zimmerman Bonsai 2 13-03-2003 02:45 PM