Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Robert O'Brien

Default [IBC] Display question

Hi folks...I have a question about using stones on a dai in display to
accompany a bonsai. Is it considered " proper " or acceptable to use several similar
stones to create a small scape on a dai ? The stones are all the same in
material..collected from the same area. thanks a bunch ...BobO

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Robert O'Brien

Billy...yeah...I really don't want it to compete with the tree...but with the
dai they are less than 4 inches tall and about 6-7 inches long as a small
mountainous scene. The tree that it would accompany is an informal upright
shimpaku about 22 inches from the soil in height and 14 inches wide. A somewhat
powerful looking tree. so...maybe !...I still may just go with an accent planting
instead...we'll see once the dai is completed how it will look...thanks for
the input !!!...BobO

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi folks...I have a question about using stones on a dai in
display to
accompany a bonsai. Is it considered " proper " or acceptable

to use several similar
stones to create a small scape on a dai ? The stones are all

the same in
material..collected from the same area. thanks a bunch ...BobO

I'm sure that suiseki purists would say no. A penjing
afficionado might be more forgiving.

Ultimately, however, it is your decision. If you like it . . .

(Unless, of course, you are submitting it to a juried show.)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Robert O'Brien wrote:

Billy...yeah...I really don't want it to compete with the tree...but with the
dai they are less than 4 inches tall and about 6-7 inches long as a small
mountainous scene. The tree that it would accompany is an informal upright
shimpaku about 22 inches from the soil in height and 14 inches wide. A somewhat
powerful looking tree. so...maybe !...I still may just go with an accent planting
instead...we'll see once the dai is completed how it will look...thanks for
the input !!!...BobO

You might try using a small tray or suiban with sand in it, or if you have one, a
very flat oval bonsai pot and cover the drainage holes with cardboard or duct tape,
then fill it with washed sand and arrange the stones in it.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Robert.

You write,
Is it considered " proper " or acceptable to use several similar
stones to create a small (earth)scape on a dai(za)?

It is not traditional, but it is not wrong. Serious collectors occasionally
mount two or more suiseki or scholars rocks on a fitted wooden base. I
think Kemin Hu's father promoted similar mounting for appreciation of
Chinese stones in her first stone book. Tradition should lead to
creativity and not stifle it. Breaks with tradition, however, should not
debase tradition and should be serious efforts that engage the viewer. They
might not be accepted as traditional practice, but that should be no problem
if they serve your purpose well.

Billy and Craig suggested keeping it taut and simple. A tray of sand can be
less artificial and more natural in feeling than a poorly crafted daiza. A
good suiseki daiza lets the stone speak, is finely crafted of cabinet-grade
wood and fits the stone's contour with harmonous balance and fit.

A summer display in usually enhanced by suiban placement and watering the
stone. Sean Smith returned from the Nippon Suiseki Association's annual
exhibition (& he has some great news to share) where ~ 50 stones in suiban
in an outside exhibit were continually attended by two adults watering them.
There were a similar number of stones displayed inside. I hope Sean will
report!

I've cross-posted to the Viewing Stone List (VSL), Robert. It is a very
quiet forum but news of Sean might generate answers to your question, as
well. If you like, you can join the list instructions:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/stonelinks/index.htm. Otherwise, I'll try to
pass the answers on.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA