Old 20-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Barb

Default [IBC] Bought a Bogenvillia

Hi all,
I bought a Bogenvilla today and it is still blooming, it is deep pink. I
picked out one with a very nice "trunk" at the bottom and nice branching
beginning about 3' above the "trunk".. It is about
2-2 1/2' tall..... my question is do I leave it alone, (not repot,or cut the
roots) till it stops blooming, or prune it until it quits blooming or wait
till next spring to do anything to it.? Or prune it after blooming in the
fall. Will it loose its leaves in the fall or is it an evergreen.( I live in
southeast Texas)
And how much should I prune back the branches to begin to make it apper
like a tree?
many thanks for the answers...
Barb
Bonsai Lady

A word about the virus, I began to get them first thing this morning and
must have gotten over 200 during the day, my hubby has fought them all day
and finally got my patches put in and most of them are now being caught..

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all,
I bought a Bogenvilla today and it is still blooming, it is

deep pink. I
picked out one with a very nice "trunk" at the bottom and nice

branching
beginning about 3' above the "trunk".. It is about
2-2 1/2' tall..... my question is do I leave it alone, (not

repot,or cut the
roots) till it stops blooming, or prune it until it quits

blooming or wait
till next spring to do anything to it.? Or prune it after

blooming in the
fall. Will it loose its leaves in the fall or is it an

evergreen.( I live in
southeast Texas)
And how much should I prune back the branches to begin to make

it apper
like a tree?

I'd wait until spring for any major repotting, pruning, etc.
Just enjoy the blooms now -- and STUDY THE TREE. Keepit mounted
on a turntable and turn it every time you go outside.

Almost all of us are too impatient when we get a new plant to
work on. We buy it, bring it home, then we CHOP it. Usually, we
have a much better idea what the tree wants us to do with it
after studying it for several MONTHS. If you have the skills,
photograph it from several sides and create some virtual
images -- or maybe a young ( + or -10-year old ;-) friend has the
skills.

While you study the tree, read up on bougainvillea. Colin Lewis'
Bonsai Survival Manual has something. So does Tomlinson and the
Simon and Schuster Guide to Bonsai, among others. There are more
or less useful articles in the May 2003 and July 1999 issues of
Bonsai magazine (BCI). Surprisingly, none of the Bonsai Today
issue that I own mention bougainvillea. (Note to editors of
bonsai magazines, a good Bougainvillea article is WELL overdue!)
Check also the BCI website and its species guide. I THINK
there's info on bougainvillea. A Google Search on "bougainvillea
bonsai" should bring up at least a few helpful hints -- though
the accuracy of most bonsai websites leaves a LOT to be desired.

Depending on HOW far into S.E. Texas you are, you should be able
to keep it out over the winter (RICK CHOATE if you see this,
please chime in!). It probably will lose its leaves if
temperatures drop below 40, but will survive light and brief
freezing.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Coalition of the Bought Otto Bahn North Carolina 80 09-05-2003 08:20 PM
I bought the 4inch Stuff BenignVanilla Ponds 2 16-04-2003 03:32 AM
Bought the Atco Viscount Douglas Hageman United Kingdom 0 02-04-2003 12:44 AM
I bought 4 cheapies Jane Roses 2 16-03-2003 05:44 PM
store bought bio filters Tim Wardell Ponds 4 02-03-2003 03:03 PM