Old 27-09-2003, 07:02 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] using repaired pots

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bart Thomas"
Subject: [IBC] using repaired pots

Chase Rosade tells me that, in Japan, really old and valuable pots with
minor dings are repaired with gold inlays (Maybe you could take it to a
dentist friend), and used in exhibits.

These are usually pots that are in the category "If it didn't have any
damage, you couldn't afford it".
Bart

Bart,
I think most of those "repaired" pots STILL fall in that catagory! :)

BTW, Have you ever heard of anyone in USA "renting" a pot for a tree for a
major display because he couldn't afford a pot that good even though the
tree was fabulous?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Luis Fontanills

Now for the appearance of a broken/repaired pot that is not check out this
pot, go to post #11 by Heinzlreiter Horst. Note that I really like this pot. I'd
like to hear your opinion on it. It is the embodiment of the artist's intent
and skill.

A HREF="http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/agora/view.php?bn=internetbonsaiclub_ibcpotting&key=1062 533506&first=1064439477&last=1047438926"
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...ast=1047438926/A

Luis Fontanills
Miami, Florida USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Bart Thomas

Chase Rosade tells me that, in Japan, really old and valuable pots with
minor dings are repaired with gold inlays (Maybe you could take it to a
dentist friend), and used in exhibits.

These are usually pots that are in the category "If it didn't have any
damage, you couldn't afford it".
Bart

Bart,
I think most of those "repaired" pots STILL fall in that catagory! :)

BTW, Have you ever heard of anyone in USA "renting" a pot for a tree for a
major display because he couldn't afford a pot that good even though the
tree was fabulous?

I can imagine it. I've often thought that there ought to be a business like
that for fine stands. Why not pots?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Luis.

You note that HH's pot is "the embodiment of the artist's intent and skill."
I suppose that means he is skillful at doing what he intends. I'd agree.
He also is skillful at managing firings with results that surprise him,
which are likely favored results of his intention. This result appears
very orchestrated and I wonder if the potter was more pleased or displeased
at his apparent control. Perhaps, the result is not what he envisioned, but
it probably is.

Are you asking an opinion of this pot for bonsai, for companion planting,
for potting skill or for testing potting surprises. I'd guess it very high
in skill and low in surprise for the potter and for a potential purchaser.
It is a distracting form for highlighting most material that would be placed
in it. It might suit for complementing material that was also
'deconstructed' (Lenz or Kimura might try this,or Sudo in a catalog with a
post-modern display) but even there it could be more a play on the notion of
deconstruction than a solely visual aesthetic combination. The taste it
serves isn't typical of bonsai display taste.

Heinzlreiter Horst's ability and taste are far reaching and few would not
find pots to cherish among them. I hope he doesn't choose puns regarding
utility of broken pots (like signing 'R. Mutt' on a transparent farce) to
knit art with kitch as a potter. It's already been done, and better, using
less craft which is actually more stirring.

Best wishes,
Chris... , Richmond VA USA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

Old 28-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Lynn Boyd

Luis,
I think Horst's pot is especially moving to those aware of a link
always between fragile beauty and vulnerability. And, it is great without
that understanding, too.
The suggestive material that combine the two concepts is certainly
first class! If it strikes our awareness of a possible perfect beauty -
then makes a connection with our everyday experience in the aging,
breaking, or wear on things striking us as beautiful, also, it has caught
a poignancy that usually takes age and experience to grasp.
Certainly in Horst there must be a great consciousness of this
universal phenomena, so I don't think it was an accident, but if it was,
the poignancy is still there.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Lynn.

On Horst's pot that looks cracked, we seem to agree on what the potter
intended & accomplished in the pot's form-- an excellently-constructed and a
detailed, realistic rendition of a broken pot. You recognize his intention
additionally as a link between "fragile beauty & vulnerability," which a
potter would know well through pot breakage and which has a crosslink to the
ever vanquishing beauty of seasonal display in bonsai. Okay, I get it.

The pot withstands close reading. It carries a full-blown visual essay,
which begs comparing the cracks in their array of different forms. Do you
want to turn the pot around, as I do, to see if & how HH managed even
additional cracks? I'm intrigued by the crack crafting.

What is being blurred is replacing a functional container with potential for
quiet simplicity &/or elegance with a disquieting pot. If you've got to
focus on the pot's visual elements (cracks that could be real) to appreciate
its craft & perhaps even 'read' into the pot an intellectual analogy (re'
fragile beauty & vulnerability) to appreciate it, how effective is it in
presenting its content (the plant)? You don't visualize the container with
a plant in your description, Lynn-- perhaps because adding a plant would be
superflous or redundant to the "poignancy (fragile beauty & vulnerability)"
you see in the pot-itself. Maybe I don't get it... :-(

Horst pot without a planting says enough, but then it is acting as an
okimono & not a bonsai companion plant pot.

You and Horst produce art with incredible talent. The challenges of
communicating aesthetically as well as overcoming craft barriers such as
convincingly replicating a crack must occur often. The convincing
replication of a cracked pot is a craft challenge that is well met by Horst.

Luis sees the pot as a container which is elevated by "embodiment of the
artist's intent & craft." I see the artist's engagement of the viewer away
from the container's content (a plant) as dysfunctional if drawing-off
poignancy from the planting. Of course, it doesn't have to "interpreted"
classicly. The pot could dominate. This begins to deconstruct the
narratives supporting classical bonsai as art-- not unlike D. Bull's "Burnt
Forest" styling.

Best wishes,
Chris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Shelly Hurd

I've looked at this pot quite a bit, and although the question was asked of
Horst, I don't believe he ever confirmed it. I seriously doubt that the pot
is broken - or ever was. I can't imagine Horst producing a pot that would
not function perfectly. He's far too good a potter to do that. BTW, I
really like it . . . I think Lynn hit the nail on the head in her post.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Luis Fontanills" wrote:

Now for the appearance of a broken/repaired pot that is not check out this
pot, go to post #11 by Heinzlreiter Horst. Note that I really like this

pot. I'd
like to hear your opinion on it. It is the embodiment of the artist's

intent
and skill.

HREF="http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/agora/view.php?bn=internetbonsaiclub
_ibcpotting&key=1062533506&first=1064439477&last=1 047438926"

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_ibcpo
tting&key=1062533506&first=1064439477&last=1047438 926/A

Luis Fontanills
Miami, Florida USA

Old 30-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Luis Fontanills

Shelly,
I never thought that it was broken, see my first line below.
And I really like it too, with or without a plant ;-)

Chris asked how it might function with a planting that it might be
"disquieting"
; I take it that this is for an accent planting, and if it would distract? I
think that the right accent plant would look fantastic in this pot. Maybe
Horst will plant it up to show us what he had in mind. The combination of plant
and pot will determine if both are in harmony or discordant, as Chris notes may
happen and I agree.

Lynn write eloquently about this pot, and I agree totally with her viewpoint.

"Luis Fontanills" wrote:

Now for the appearance of a broken/repaired pot that is not check out this
pot, go to post #11 by Heinzlreiter Horst. Note that I really like this

pot. I'd
like to hear your opinion on it. It is the embodiment of the artist's

intent
and skill.

HREF="http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/agora/view.php?bn=internetbonsaiclub
_ibcpotting&key=1062533506&first=1064439477&last=1 047438926"

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_ibcpo
tting&key=1062533506&first=1064439477&last=1047438 926

Luis Fontanills
Miami, Florida USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Using the fibre pots Pete C[_2_] United Kingdom 3 12-03-2009 10:11 AM
Reshaped repaired pond Koi-Lo Ponds 1 24-04-2006 08:09 PM
Lawn Mowers,Tillers tuned up and repaired @ you home [email protected] North Carolina 0 10-04-2006 12:53 PM
[IBC] Repaired Pots - Lynn Boyd Bonsai 1 27-09-2003 08:02 PM
Thinking about using Self Watering containers in outdoor pots Pelvis Popcan Gardening 3 19-07-2003 12:42 AM