Old 19-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] where's the thrill in bonsai?

At 06:42 PM 10/18/03 -0400, SAINT wrote:
I don't know how everyone else thinks about this, but I wouldn't say it's
"thrilling", satisfying maybe, but thrilling?

Well, being a stimulus junkie searching out the most intense flavors,
colors, experiences, etc., I am happy to say that bonsai is actually
thrilling to me, and in a way that is not easily achieved otherwise (at
least by me).

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-10-2003, 09:42 AM
kevin bailey

I would say that there are certainly areas of bonsai that thrill. They
are rare and never easy, but if they were the thrill would be
diminished. They probably vary hugely from person to person and depend
on your level of interest. For me the most thrilling are styling new
material for the first time (and it actually working successfully) and
finding good yamadori material. Standing in awe in front of a real
masterpiece probably comes a close third.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 19-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Craig Cowing

kevin bailey wrote:

I would say that there are certainly areas of bonsai that thrill. They
are rare and never easy, but if they were the thrill would be
diminished. They probably vary hugely from person to person and depend
on your level of interest. For me the most thrilling are styling new
material for the first time (and it actually working successfully) and
finding good yamadori material. Standing in awe in front of a real
masterpiece probably comes a close third.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Collecting a really good tree in the wild and seeing it progress is certainly a
thrill for me. The initial rush of finding a good tree in the wild is at the top of
my list.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

I guess my thrills in Bonsai as well as in horticulture are a little
mundane!

For this old codger it is to see the first two leaves breaking the soil
surface from a seed I had planted or to open up an air layer and see a
plethora of roots, knowing it was a successful procedute.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

This took me a while because I had to separate the
extreme sense of well being that working on my bonsai
envokes.

I love walking into a bonsai show and seeing the
serenity and beauty of the tress and display.

Walking out into my garden and seeing an old plant
that has developed over time as if for the first time.

Finding the bonsai in the bush.

The wonder of seeing the whole mass as one object and
having it fragment into may images of many
possibilites and details as in "potential". That very
moment when can shout "Eureka, I found it."

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ****X-bonsai (was: [IBC] Bonsai Figurine - Warrios / Samuai / Bushido etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2004 03:27 PM
where's the thrill in bonsai? BW Bonsai 2 19-10-2003 10:02 AM
is there a THRILL in keeping fish? BW Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 13-10-2003 08:42 AM
The thrill of it ! K30a Ponds 13 12-05-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM