Old 17-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] In need of bonsai Trees/Supplies. Where should I look?

Brent at Evergreen Garden Works is an excellent source
of information. You might find many answers to your
questions in his well written topics section.

Since his business is only a two person shop, they are
usually out working with the trees, making talking on
the phone difficult. Send an email to them with
questions. You will get an answer usually with in 24
hours (but not always, again, they are busy folk)

I have been to the nursery before they moved. He has
excellent stock. Some of my best shohin started life
there.

Kitsune Miko

--- Dave wrote:
Hello,

I have recently purchased an Arboricola Schefflera
from a local
nursery. I am looking to get a few more trees and
some supplies (the
nurseries where I live do not stock any nice bonsai
trees or
tools/supplies).

I have been looking at www.bonsaiboy.com. The site
is well laid out,
and I can call someone there to help me with
specific questions I
have.

I recently checked out www.evergreengadenworks.com .
Their website
is old and unappealing, but that doesnt matter to me
as long as I can
maybe talk to someone and make the order over the
phone.
Unfortunately they don't seem to accept phone
orders. The prices seem
a lot cheaper than bonsaiboy, but I didn't examine
everything fully.

Can anyone else recommend anywhere. I live in
Canada, but I live
close to the US border so shipping to Canada isn't
an issue (I can
ship to a US address and pick it up).

I am looking for a couple juniper procumbens 'nana'
about the 6"
height, seeds, soil, drainagehole covers, and one or
two other trees
depending on the stock they have (fukien tea, beech,
others).
Pictures would be nice, plus a number I can call to
help me with
specific questions as to size/age and style/pots.

Thanks,
Dave

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl
Rosner++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 17-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello,

I have recently purchased an Arboricola Schefflera from a local
nursery. I am looking to get a few more trees and some

supplies (the
nurseries where I live do not stock any nice bonsai trees or
tools/supplies).

I have been looking at www.bonsaiboy.com. The site is well

laid out,
and I can call someone there to help me with specific questions

have.

I recently checked out www.evergreengadenworks.com . Their

website
is old and unappealing,

Hmmm. I wonder what "appealing" is. This is one of the best,
most informative bonsai websites around. There's more info per
page here than almost anywhere else I know of.

Anyway, go to our IBC website (address below). ANY of our
sponsors -- INCLUDING Evergreen Gardenworks! -- should be able to
meet your needs. Note "bonsaiboy" isn't a sponsor. And from
what I've heard . . .

Old 17-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Chris Cochrane

Dave writes,
I have been looking at www.bonsaiboy.com. The site
is well laid out, and I can call someone there to help me
with specific questions I have.

I wrote Robert Baran several months ago. Bonsai Boy of NY had copied his
shortened version on the history of bonsai on a website it uses to generate
business. The webmaster also "borrowed" the links of Craig Hunt's website
(before he moved them to NBF in 1999, I think) to snare customers. In
Craig's case, there was not even credit given. Here is Bonsai Boy's other
face advertised as buying "direct from the seller" and linked to BBNY's
sales page.
http://www.buy-bonsai.com/bonsai_faq.html

Robert shared that he had never been asked for the use of his material.
Such "borrowing" without asking is exactly what we SHOULD NOT encourage, &
I'd avoid Bonsai Boy of NY (a.k.a., buy-bonsai.com) as a plague.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 18-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Dave

Thank you everyone.

I believe that I will be a lot better buying from evergreen
gardenworks.

The website does have a lot of information.

I will probably be ordering my young trees from there. I am going to
email him and ask if he has the extra's that I need that arn't on the
website (drainage hole covers, soil, and seeds).

Thanks,

Dave.
Old 19-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Thank you everyone.

I believe that I will be a lot better buying from evergreen
gardenworks.

The website does have a lot of information.

I will probably be ordering my young trees from there. I am

going to
email him and ask if he has the extra's that I need that arn't

on the
website (drainage hole covers, soil, and seeds).

I don't know if Brent sells "bonsai notions" or not, but some of
those you can do better by locally. Soil is always a problem for
the person with just a few trees, but the thought of paying money
for "dirt" (especially shipping!) has always perplexed me. Read
the Evergreen Gardenworks article on soil and see if you can't
put a little together with stuff you have or can find nearby.
I'm sure you're not like me and have to make a couple of garbage
cans full every year.

The hole covers can be bought for 1/5 the cost of material with
the word "bonsai" attached to them. Go to a nearby craft shop
and buy a sheet of the plastic screening that is used for --
embroidery, I think. One sheet will do for a dozen pots --
forever.

For seeds, you'll have to ask Brent.

Have fun.