Old 13-02-2004, 01:21 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Carry on luggage (bonsai) Methods ?

I agree with Peter.
I ship EXTREMELY expensive electronics all over North and South

America.
The last time I thought I'd try to hand carry a box of

electronics through
the airport.
A $2,000 tool disappeared at the security inspection counter.

FedEx has never lost or broken anything.
You might want to consider a commercial shipper like FedEx or

UPS.
When you consider the cost of your tree, the cost of overnight

shipping is
peanuts !!

Plus! All the levels of security you need to go though these
days. I think carrying a tree on a plane is a very bad idea.
Once, but not now.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Helena Handbasket

It made it through ok and I picked a very inexpensive tree to experiment with. It was a
bit of a pain to take through and I did worry about the radiation the tree would be
subjected too.

They let the tree through but wouldn't let me wear my barrette. Go figure.

Next time, I'm going to ship it and use a box shop to pack it. It was too much like
playing McGiver for my taste.

I guess looking like a little old lady does help. ;-D

--

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·.¤*katie**¤.·´¨`»

Old 13-02-2004, 03:08 AM
Daniel Avrin

In a message dated 2/12/2004 7:15:31 PM Mountain Standard Time,
writes:
They let the tree through but wouldn't let me wear my barrette.
That's because you were walking through a metal detector. Unlike the
barrette, the tree was not made of metal. No offense to anyone on this list, but it
really seems like people are making a bigger deal out of airport security than
the reality warrants. It's pretty simple. Don't put the following in your
carry on bags: sharp things, things that go boom, things that ignite. If you
don't divest the metal in your pockets, in your hair or on your shoes, you alarm
the metal detector and need to be searched. Unless you are sent down for
secondary screening (hand held metal detector) the security people have no way of
telling if it alarmed due to a barrette or a 10" knife. It's just a metal
detector, people, not a good person/bad person detector. The x-ray machine will
not hurt your tree - it is about 1/20 the power of a medical x-ray and is not
nuclear. After 9/11/2001 we live in a different world and need to understand
this and stop acting so spoiled. If the security screener asks you to take
off your shoes, it doesn't make him a nazi, it keeps you safe. If that's the
worst thing that happens to you that day, well folks, that's a pretty good day!

My two cents.

Best Regards,
Daniel Avrin
Now with super whitening Borax!

Old 13-02-2004, 03:44 AM
Helena Handbasket

The screener asked me to remove my barrette prior to the screen and I was happy to oblige.
I did make sure the tree had no metal (screen material and wires) and packed it in a clear
plastic pop bottle. I had no problems what so ever. I'd rather have the screening then
not.

--

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨`·.¤*katie**¤.·´¨`»

Helena's Sim Estates
http://www.simbella.com/helena/

Old 13-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Peter

Dan:

I suggest that you reread my message. The damage was done to my checked
luggage that was dismantled by the Homeland security people and thrown
together!
Also there is no excuse for demanding to take my wedding ring off and
subsequently losing it. There is stupidity and ignorance on BOTH sides of
the scanners!

Cheers.

Peter Aradi
Tulsa, Oklahoma