Old 23-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Sageretia Help (Possibly dead already)1

Good Day to All,
Jerry,

from what I can tell.The Sageretias from South China,
need at least three years to recuperate.
There is very little cambium to store energy or other and
though the shrub when happy is like a firework going off
with shoots,the imported trees are very weak.

I had a 36 year old specimen fade to grey over two years,
yet all the cuttings are aggressive in growth.
I suspect it was because I didn't realise that the tree only
had three live roots despite of the masses of fine rootlets the
bush had thrown out.

This is one of those import "cutting" that look good for x months
and then anything can kill them off.

The cuttings I took are now about 1"+ in size after 10 years or
so and extremely vigorous.Some have thrown seed into my
lawn below and they are on their way to becoming shrubs.
A very happy accident.

This is the one shrub that I would suggest anyone purchasing
to just grow on for at least 3 years before doing anything and
starting with smaller specimens,rather than the big ones.
No pruning,just allow longer than 3' extensions and as many
as is possible.Wreck the shapes if you have too.

Lastly beware of larger than 1/2" wounds,they seldom heal,
rot easily and should really just be sealed.
Until later.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

Old 24-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Jerry Meislik

Khaimraj ,
Thanks for the great information. My smaller trees and cuttings grow very
vigorously as well.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Dunk - del SAFETYNET to reply

Thanks to all who replied, I took it back out of the pot and found the
roots all black
and fairly brittle. I guess my Bonsai is dead

With hindsight, when I repotted it last I think there was only really one
healthy looking
main root. I should have looked for better help then, cut back the dead
root, watered with
rooting compound / put some sand in soil to encourage roots.

Thanks again, any suggestions for an easy to look after replacement?
Should I try the
Sageretia again? Something that blossums in the UK would be good.

Cheers,
Duncan

Old 04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
kevin bailey

Duncan,

Please use a real email address :-( This list is (99.9%) spam free. It's
tedious having to retype emails because the personal reply one sends is
bounced as undeliverable. Most of the time I would just give up at that
point, but as you're in the UK ;-)

If you are after an indoor bonsai that flowers reliably, why not try any
of the Dwarf Fuchsia varieties? They are relatively easy and flower for
a long season.

Whereabouts in the UK?

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/