Old 12-05-2013, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help identifying some Unknown trees, possibly Cherry?

Hi all,

I suspect these might be cherry trees as some stones were planted a few years back. But then last year they just shot up and this year have grown another 3 ft.

Can anyone confirm whether these are cherry tree or if not what are they?

Pictures he

http://imgur.com/a/WuywK

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-12 12:08:25 +0100, The NakedTruth said:

Hi all,

I suspect these might be cherry trees as some stones were planted a few
years back. But then last year they just shot up and this year have
grown another 3 ft.

Can anyone confirm whether these are cherry tree or if not what are they?

Pictures he

http://imgur.com/a/WuywK

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

They look very like cherries. Once they get growing they grow like
weeds so you might want to be quite sure you want more than one!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-12 12:08:25 +0100, The NakedTruth said:

Hi all,

I suspect these might be cherry trees as some stones were planted a
few years back. But then last year they just shot up and this year
have grown another 3 ft.

Can anyone confirm whether these are cherry tree or if not what are they?

Pictures he

http://imgur.com/a/WuywK

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

They look very like cherries. Once they get growing they grow like
weeds so you might want to be quite sure you want more than one!

I'd say certainly cherry trees.
As Sacha says they will grow large,
I have a self sown cherry that now has a spread of at least 15 ft and is
about the same height at around 12 years old.
They should start to flower at around 6 year old.
David @ a damp end of Swansea Bay
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:56:32 +0100, Sacha wrote:

They look very like cherries. Once they get growing they grow like
weeds so you might want to be quite sure you want more than one!

Adding to Sacha's comment - you've got 5 (I think) saplings in very
close proximity to each other.

If they fruit, and that's not guaranteed, any crop is likely to be
poor and nothing like the cherries from which the stones came. The big
unknown is how big they might grow. Commercially grown trees are
grafted onto rootstocks which influence their shape and size.

If you want to keep all the trees, it will be best if you move them
around now while the root systems are still small enough to dig up.
Aim to place them about 20 feet apart and, unless you have friendly
neighbours, 10 feet from the boundary of your garden.

Without pruning, the trees will develop into rather untidy bushes.
Pruning is best done in mid-summer (the usual rule of pruning while
trees are dormant doesn't apply to cherries). This year you should
just remove the lower third of leaves from the main stem and any side
branches that have formed in the bottom two-thirds. Once a good crown
has developed, remove all the leaves on the main stem, together with
any side branches, below it. Over time, as the tree grows higher, you
may be able to raise the crown gradually by removing the bottom
branches from it. Google something like "pruning saplings" for more
info.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 12-05-2013, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:53:55 PM UTC+1, Jake wrote:
[...]

Wow thanks all.. that was a really swift response and I am so pleased that my hunch was correct. Yes they all came from stones planets about 3 years ago but to be honest we forgot about them completely until last year when they went from 3 inches to about 3 ft. We have other trees in our garden Apple & Plums and we did used to have a nice peach tree but suffered about 7 years ago from Peach Blight and never recovered. So if nothing else the cherry tree will have company

Thanks to all for your help and I will start reading up specifically about cherry care. I'll post back maybe with any developments.

Cheers,

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 May 2013 04:08:25 -0700 (PDT), The NakedTruth
wrote:

Hi all,

I suspect these might be cherry trees as some stones were planted a few years back. But then last year they just shot up and this year have grown another 3 ft.

Can anyone confirm whether these are cherry tree or if not what are they?

Pictures he

http://imgur.com/a/WuywK

Any help is appreciated.

You could try keepting them in biggish pots for a few years.
I have a cherry, grown from a stone, which is over 26 years old. It's
in a not very large pot and is treated as a bonsai. It flowers and
fruits each year now, if I can keep the birds off. I root-prune it
every few years and cut it back when it gets too big!
Pinch the tops out and let them branch out, unless you want columnar
trees. They will branch naturally in time.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-05-2013, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:24:15 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 23:16:30 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I have a cherry, grown from a stone, which is over 26 years old. It's
in a not very large pot and is treated as a bonsai.

Is there any special technique in germinating a cherry stone, or did
you just plant it and wait? And how large a pot is 'not very large',
i.e. approx. diameter across pot top? Are the fruits full size?

I certainly used no special techniques, just sowed a few and hoped! It
was a long while ago! The pot is a glazed bowl-shaped one aobut 12
inches in diameter. It has been root-pruned in the past, then I stood
it on my gravel garden for some years, during which it rooted through
into the ground! I cut through that root and move it every now and
then to prevent it "digging in its heels"!

Pam in Bristol