Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-05-2004, 10:16 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Satsuki problem - bark splitting

I've got a coupla hundred satsuki, from eight years old to last years
cuttings. The only time I've had bark splitting is when I've
accidentally left a small one outside and it has frozen. Even a light
ground frost will do this. Once they are a few years old they seem to be
able to take a light frost without splitting.

I had some very bad damage on a couple earlier this year and took
photo's. I was really surprised that the trees survived and it appears
that they will, eventually, heal up and perhaps generate new bark. The
cambium layer was unaffected. Alex Kennedy's book says that this will
slow them right down for a long time though. I'll try to take shots of
them now and post to the gallery.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Subject: [IBC] Satsuki problem - bark splitting

I thought I'd post this and see if I can get some help. I have perhaps
12-15 Satsuki ranging in size from 4" starter pots up to a gallon size
or a bit bigger. I have bought all of these in the last two years, so
I don't have a lot of experience with them. Two months ago or so I
started seeing bark splitting in 7-8 of the plants, some very severe.
I have tried to seal them up as well as possible with Lac Balsam, but
I assume the condition is irreversible. What caused it?? From what I
have found, freezing can do this, but I think we only had 5-6 days
below 32F last winter here. Maybe 28F. was the lowest temperature.
I've also read that fertilizing too late in the summer can cause this
(which I probably did). The plants were also pruned late in the year,
around August. Most of the information I've found has been vague, and
I'm hoping to find someone with some experience to confirm this or
perhaps add to it. I obviously don't intend to fertilize or prune this
late again. But I'm afraid to do much of anything at this point,
although I have a couple new plants that I feel need pruned back. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lauren
NW Oregon, zone 8