Old 23-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the title as subject

HI
very interesting
one question what is "orchid bark"?

dalecochoy wrote:

azalea was planted in a standard mix of turface, haydite, orchid bark, and

Michael Persiano

My normal soil FOR EVERYTHING ( Including azaleas) is haydite, large
silica sand, orchid bark and either a LITTLE forest humus or decompossed
pine bark
Dale " How can I use unsifted soil?" Cochoy

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefocault)

Old 23-05-2004, 03:03 PM
dalecochoy

Theo,
Orchid bark is the ground up sequoia bark that orchid growers use for
potting. Actually you want "Baby" orchid bark which is about 1/4" chunks.
( some of the sizes can get quite large for orchids) Nice and clean with no
dust. It's packaged in 2 or 3 cu/ft bags. I get mine from an orchid
groweer/supplier so I've never looked elsewhere for it. Try looking in
yellow pages or calling a big nursery for grower info locally.I don't think
it's really any better than finer ground pine bark ( if you can find it) or
partially decompossed fine pine bark potting component ( even harder to
find, (Try "Summit" BTW) but it's usually, for me anyway, easier to find
and is pretty good sized and uniform for bonsai, and, it looks nice in the
pot.

BTW, this is a good spot to pop in something I forgot to mention in my
earlier mail about soils "I" use and fertilizer. I forgot to mention that a
couple times a year now I'll sprinkle some "Espoma" fertilizer on trees.
I've been using it about 5 years since I started seeing it on shelves. It's
all natural powder that is VERY similar to ingredients in my poo balls,
except it's ground fine. It comes in several NPK mixes and some of the types
are "plant tone", "tree tone" , "holly tone" and I think maybe a couple
others. I have also , a couple times, thrown a couple handfulls into soil
mix when I was mixing up a wheelbarrow for something specific in mind. It's
a real good product and fairly cheap in 10 or 25 pound bags.
Regards,
Dale

azalea was planted in a standard mix of turface, haydite, orchid bark,

and

Michael Persiano

My normal soil FOR EVERYTHING ( Including azaleas) is haydite, large
silica sand, orchid bark and either a LITTLE forest humus or decompossed
pine bark
Dale " How can I use unsifted soil?" Cochoy

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Theo

HI
dalecochoy wrote:

Theo,
Orchid bark is the ground up sequoia bark that orchid growers use for
potting.

Thanks , I have some sequoias in the park nar my home and some bark
can be taken without damaging the tree

earlier mail about soils "I" use and fertilizer. I forgot to mention that a
couple times a year now I'll sprinkle some "Espoma" fertilizer on trees.

I live in Switzerland so I do not know what it is ..
I have some american products taht II bought while tarvelling and
could make a good reserve of superthrive for few years ..:-)
my next incoming problem is to renew 1-2 quarters of Fish emulsion
my son was lately in NY but could not find it ...
I am trying throught the net to see if some company can send it over to
europe
we have not this kind of fertilizers
thanks again Dale for all informations
Theo

Old 24-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Jim Lewis

HI
dalecochoy wrote:

[...]

Gosh, Theo, I find it hard to believe that no one in Europe uses
fish emulsion fertilizers. Maybe someone on list can suggest a
source. I'd guess any of the European Community countries that
have large fishing fleets will produce some.

As for the Superthrive, I wouldn't waste your money importing the
stuff.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-05-2004, 09:12 PM
dalecochoy

Jim said:
Gosh, Theo, I find it hard to believe that no one in Europe uses
fish emulsion fertilizers. Maybe someone on list can suggest a
source. I'd guess any of the European Community countries that
have large fishing fleets will produce some.

Theo,
FISH + Water + Blender = Fish Emulsion!!!!
:)
Dale "Remember Saturday Night Live's Bass-O-Matic" Cochoy

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Theo

Jim said:
Gosh, Theo, I find it hard to believe that no one in Europe

uses
fish emulsion fertilizers. Maybe someone on list can suggest

source. I'd guess any of the European Community countries

that
have large fishing fleets will produce some.

Theo,
FISH + Water + Blender = Fish Emulsion!!!!
:)
Dale "Remember Saturday Night Live's Bass-O-Matic" Cochoy

Well, that would work. But does the blender turn it that ugly
thick s_ _ t brown?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 25-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Anita Hawkins

Theo asked about DIY (do-it-yourself) fish emulsion... yum yum!

Theo,
FISH + Water + Blender = Fish Emulsion!!!!
:)
Dale "Remember Saturday Night Live's Bass-O-Matic" Cochoy

Jim Lewis added:
Well, that would work. But does the blender turn it that ugly
thick s_ _ t brown?

The step you left out, is that it needs to sit around and
FERMENT for a while! Preferably in the back seat of your
worst enemy's car... And that it starts not with nice clean
whole fish, but with all the yucky leftover bits, heads and
guts and whatnot.

Jim, don't let Jackie read this, she'll never let you near
the blender again ))

Anita "remember Grouchy Old Men" Hawkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim, don't let Jackie read this, she'll never let you near
the blender again ))

I've already commandeered an old Cuisinart food processor in
which I shred pine bark nuggets (Wow! Does THAT make a racket --
and wear a face mask and goggles!). I suppose I could add a few
bass heads.

Old 26-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Gosh, Theo, I find it hard to believe that no one in Europe uses
fish emulsion fertilizers.

absolutely unknown as superthirve that can be found at very high
price x3 in some specialized shop in france

Maybe someone on list can suggest a
source. I'd guess any of the European Community countries that
have large fishing fleets will produce some.

well we are more chmicals
especially in switzerlands becouse of protectionism of chemical
industry..
in otehsr country is more or less teh same
I amde a research in Google and found some company that sells in teh
net but until than I had no answer to ma demand for 2 quartes of fish
emulsion

As for the Superthrive, I wouldn't waste your money importing the
stuff.

I bought in the States and could have some as usual

Superthrive is very controvert :-)

Old 26-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Theo

dalecochoy wrote:

Theo,
FISH + Water + Blender = Fish Emulsion!!!!

but fish contains sea salts should use fresh water fish than .. and
it will rot and stink I do not want to start an epidemic plague in my
building where I live :-)

:)

Old 26-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, that would work. But does the blender turn it that ugly
thick s_ _ t brown?

I guess it has to be fermented fist to be assimilate by plants .. I
made fermented rapeseed cakes and teh liquid really stink!!!!!

Old 26-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Theo

TreeBay wrote:

Jim if you want that color you'll have to wait, or add soy sauce and a
dash of molasses.

yeah molasses are excelelnt and used to keep cakes compact it
contains a lot of K potassium and is excellent on wounds and sores
soy is salted so kills roots

The true color and bouquet are result of decomposition.

A Fish Emulsion Recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2vupb

Regards,

Matt

--
TreeBay - Tips:5¢ Advice:Free

-Carpe Tree-um- (Seize the bonsai!)
'TreeBay Bonsai Tools & Supplies' (http://www.TreeBay.com)
Thank you for supporting bonsaiTALK.
TreeBay's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...tinfo&userid=5
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=6795

Old 26-05-2004, 02:06 PM
dalecochoy

FISH + Water + Blender = Fish Emulsion!!!!

Dale "Remember Saturday Night Live's Bass-O-Matic" Cochoy

but fish contains sea salts should use fresh water fish than .. and
it will rot and stink I do not want to start an epidemic plague in my
building where I live :-)

So don't do it!.....It was a joke anyways.....
D.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Lynn Boyd

4 11:12 PM
Subject: [IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the
title as subject

Jim Lewis wrote:
Well, that would work. But does the blender turn it that

ugly
thick s_ _ t brown?

I guess it has to be fermented fist to be assimilate by

plants .. I
made fermented rapeseed cakes and teh liquid really

stink!!!!!
--------------------

As always I read my morning edjucation from IBC first
thing - this morning thoughtfully digesting info on Dale and
Khaimraj's ceramics, then into the fish fertilizing - which I
take seriously, of course,
- now why is it I haven't a hope of digesting any
breakfast? -
Heck, actually the entertainment is worth it!

Lynn

Lynn Boyd
Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Jim Lewis

4 11:12 PM
title as subject

Jim Lewis wrote:
Well, that would work. But does the blender turn it that

ugly
thick s_ _ t brown?

I guess it has to be fermented fist to be assimilate by

plants .. I
made fermented rapeseed cakes and teh liquid really

stink!!!!!

As always I read my morning edjucation from IBC first
thing - this morning thoughtfully digesting info on Dale and
Khaimraj's ceramics, then into the fish fertilizing - which I
take seriously, of course,
- now why is it I haven't a hope of digesting any
breakfast? -
Heck, actually the entertainment is worth it!

Lynn

Glad to help with your diet. ;-)