Old 24-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] slabs

I've found 'stock' sized floor tile of slate (18" sq, 12" sq,
etc.) which
can be broken around the edges with a pipe wrench. This would

give a light
but natural slab sized for a small to medium sized planting. I

like the
natural look. I'm looking at possibly planting on a thicker

flagstone,
primarily for the look. Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

You can buy a tool (looks like a root cutter, but the jaws don't
quite meet) that is designed to chip the edges of floor tiles.
Mine cost $3.95 at Home Depot.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Yep and it works well too. Too well. The break you get with that type of
tool is very vertical, suitable for laying floor tile. If the vertical edge
is what you want, then get this tool. If you wish the tapered, split slab
look then root around in your tool box for anything with jaws, pad them and
twist the edges off the slate. With slate, the edges come off in layers at
the area of the jaws. Don't forget the safety goggles with either type of
tool. Pipe wrenches are very common and the angle of the jaws makes the
twisting much easier than a straight wrench. But a straight wrench will
work.

By the way, the tool Jim is talking about makes a good , cheap trunk
splitter with a little creative grinding on the jaws and the stop. You can
even use it to make a root cutter with slightly different jaw grinding if
you need a big one. Have fun - jay

Old 25-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Yep and it works well too. Too well. The break you get with
that type of
tool is very vertical, suitable for laying floor tile.

Gee. I've nibbled off an almost perfect circle with the
"nibbler" and have lots of free-form tile slabs that I use --
used :-( -- as stands for my once-upon-a-time collection of
_tiny_ trees.

You just take lots of tiny nibbles with the nibbler.

I suppose there are different sizes. The one I have is about the
size of a common pair of pliers.

***************

***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 28-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Alan Walker

Similar laws apply in my state, Louisiana. Our legislature
passed new legislation this session making it much easier to
prosecute for trespass in response to problems with wood arson
and vandalism. Property owners are no longer required to post
their lands in order to prosecute. I'm a bit concerned that this
is too extreme, but I understand that this was deemed necessary,
because vandals would simply steal the 'no trespassing' signs and
evade prosecution unless caught red-handed. Alan Walker

Old 28-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

As usual, Louisiana is finally catching up to the rest of the
world. g) Even backward (and getting ever more backward)
Florida has had that law for many years now. Can't imagine why
you'd think it's too extreme. I certainly don't want strangers
wandering over MY land, for whatever reason.

======================

Old 30-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Wayne Greenleaf

It may be easier to prosecute, but a "blanket" post law that had similar
definition to the UK has been on the books for several years now.
Wayne Greenleaf - New Orleans Z9

As usual, Louisiana is finally catching up to the rest of the
world. g) Even backward (and getting ever more backward)
Florida has had that law for many years now. Can't imagine why
you'd think it's too extreme. I certainly don't want strangers
wandering over MY land, for whatever reason.

Including liability. Isn't that sad.

[IBC] SLABS Carl Rosner Bonsai 0 03-06-2005 11:56 AM
[IBC] slabs/collecting in the UK James Allan Bonsai 3 28-06-2004 07:02 AM
[IBC] handmade slabs Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 19-06-2004 01:05 AM
[IBC] Hypertufa for natural rock planters and slabs kevin bailey Bonsai 0 27-07-2003 12:02 AM
groun force cocrete slabs ob United Kingdom 13 03-02-2003 01:51 AM