Old 23-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Robert O'Brien

Default [IBC] more winter concerns

Hey folks...o.k...so now these freezing temps in the northeast are beginning
to worry me ! mostly I am worried about my training bed...its a raised
one, about a foot deep...waited too long and never mulched it in this year
!...not too concerned about the larch or junipers in there but i've got one
japanese white pine graft that is in there for its first winter. Temps
have been consistently below freezing for weeks now...although the bed does
have about a foot and a half of snow on it and that must help? any thoughts
? also concerned about a couple trees in the cold frame...japanese
flowering cherry-variety unknown and an olive...they did fine the last few
years but this is a new cold frame, much bigger( to accomodate collected
material) and they used to be mulched in peat,actually buried. Now they are
only loosely packed in straw. any real need for concern ? temps in cold
frame have been steadily between 10 and 30 degrees. above the mulch.
thanks very much.....sincerely...BobO western Ma. -ccccooold !

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

!

If it has been in that kind of cold for that long, it's a bit
late for worry. At this point, what survives, will survive; what
won't, won't. Doing anything now -- like bringing them inside
(as I will be doing with 5 azaleas, a Podocarpus, and a boxwood
tonight when temps drop to 8 degrees here in north FLORIDA!) --
won't do anything, as the damage has been done (IF there is
damage, and you won't know that 'till spring). Worrying about it
will only give you ulcers.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who will be
letting all of his outside water pipes flow freely tonight.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Iris Cohen

I am worried about my training bed...its a raised one, about a foot
deep...waited too long and never mulched it in this year
i've got one japanese white pine graft that is in there for its first
winter. Temps
have been consistently below freezing for weeks now...although the bed does
have about a foot and a half of snow on it and that must help?
a couple trees in the cold frame...japanese flowering cherry-variety unknown
and an olive...they did fine the last few years but this is a new cold frame,
much bigger( to accomodate collected material) and they used to be mulched in
peat,actually buried. Now they are only loosely packed in straw. any real need
for concern ? temps in cold
frame have been steadily between 10 and 30 degrees. above the mulch.
western Ma.

You are probably in Zone 5, perhaps Zone 6. I would put a rose cone over the
Japanese pine. The snow cover is fine, but don't depend on it entirely. By
olive, do you mean Olea europaea? In Zone 5 it is considered a subtropical
indoor tree. If that is what you have, it has had enough of a rest and should
be indoors in an unheated bedroom or under fluorescent lights.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 23-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Ben Griffin

If it makes any of you feel any better i have some
good news . I had a chinese elm outside in temps
down to 5 degrees, mulched in my cold frame. I
brought it in 2 days ago and put it under
flourescents. This morning i noticed its first buds
happily coming out . Also a very strange sight for
eyes today, the hudson river that flows along the west
side of NYC is frozen...... 2 weeks now of below
freezing temps. They are calling for 33 degrees on
sunday ITS A HEAT WAVE .

Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Derek Zieminski

Well, I came home from work last night late as usually. I had been following
the weather for a few days now. So when I got home I gave a final check on
the tropicals in the garage, making sure the temp was ok and there were no
drifts coming in. Finally settled down to sleep dream of just a flake of
snow here in Summerville, SC and all the havoc it would cause. Quite
hilarious to be a northerner living in the South. But anyway when I woke
there was nothing just bitter cold. As a matter of fact made record time to
class today. After my first class it finally came, looked worse coming down
than actually accumulated. But nevertheless when I got home from my morning
classes I found out all the area schools had been canceled, what a joke with
nothing to show for it. But nonetheless my law class is canceled too so no
complaints here. Were expected to hit lows tonight in the teens and wind
chills in the single digits which is the coldest in over a decade. My
thoughts will be with thoses dealing with real messes further north.
Especially Im feeling for those of you in Florida who rarely have to make the
trips taking plants in and out, as I hear Miami is expected to be in the 30's
tonight.
Derek Zieminski
Summerville, SC
Zone 8A

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Chriss Flagg

As everyone in the East and South area is dealing with extreme winter cold.
The Pacific Northwest is dealing with 60 degree weather.

Here in Spanaway, just south of Tacoma, we are having weather in the high
50's and today it is 61 degrees with a light rain. The nights are cold in
the 30's.

Some of my trees are trying to bud. I am covering them at night and letting
them have fresh air during the day. I hope they don't get to the point of
buds breaking. I have a full size rhody with flowers that I normally don't
see until June.

Keep warm, and feel free to send some of the snow this way.

Chriss Flagg
Pacific Northwest
Washington, the other state

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Lynn Boyd

Chris Flagg, et al.,

And just south of you in Oregon we have daffodils over 2 inches above
ground, I am worried that my maple buds look so eager. The greenhouse has
needed very little heat, none at present. We can be uneasy if suddenly
there is ten days of freezing - which I certainly have seen happen. Our
nights appear to be a little warmer here in Willamette Valley than yours in
Washington.
I'd accept a little of the eastern snow now rather than later, too.

Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

From Chris Flagg

Old 27-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Shelly Hurd

Lynn, et al,
I'll bring these warm winter concerns a bit further south. Here in
California's central valley the nights no longer even get into the high
40's. It's fog season, but with these temps in the high 50's to low 60's it
is getting spooky .. you just know the cold will hit you when you turn your
back. My nasturtiums didn't die back this year. I feel like I have to get
my maples pruned and repotted, ... but then it will freeze.
Curiouser and curiouser
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

What happened to winter?

"Lynn Boyd" wrote:
Chris Flagg, et al.,

And just south of you in Oregon we have daffodils over 2 inches above
ground, I am worried that my maple buds look so eager. The greenhouse has
needed very little heat, none at present. We can be uneasy if suddenly
there is ten days of freezing - which I certainly have seen happen. Our
nights appear to be a little warmer here in Willamette Valley than yours

in
Washington.
I'd accept a little of the eastern snow now rather than later, too.

Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

From Chris Flagg

Old 27-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Mark Hill

Shelly Hurd wrote ......... "What happened to winter?"

Shelly;

If you'd really like to know where it went, I could FedEx you a boxful
from central PA !!

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6 - warmed all the way up to a balmy
10 !!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Iris Cohen

Awshaddap. We have had almost 100 inches of snow so far & it is going down to
-6 tonight. The heater is on in the enclosed porch almost every night.