Old 30-06-2004, 09:15 PM
John Dhom

Default Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

Hey all,

I'm spending inordinate amounts of time sieving my organic material and
could use some encouraging words regarding a) better sources, b) better
materials, c) better techniques, d) better tools. Currently I'm using pine
bark, by the bag from lowes/home despot. Typically I double screen into 2 or
3 sizes. Too much wood parts to pull out and too little yield for the effort
expended. blah, blah, blah.

I like to use the same mix, components, for my big herb/flower containers as
well. So, in terms of quantity I'm looking at less than a pickup truck load
of sieved organic material, all sizes combined, per year.

Generally speaking I see 3 categories of options...
1) better source material (bulk sized a la Brent/CA, bark/bark product
with significantly better yield)
2) better sieve (read bigger)
3) mechanical sieve (hammer mill, whatever)

So... given the quantity I need what are your thoughts?

BTW... I'm currently planning a trip to a tree farm in McMinnville(sp?),
they do containers, to see what they're using for their mix. My current
round of calls is a search for hammer mill rental (with replaceable screens)
with the intent of using bark mini-nuggets as source.

Help me, help me, help me

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33

Old 01-07-2004, 01:03 AM
susieq

John,
One suggestion would be for you to purchase enough stuff to get the
best discounts on components, mix it up and sell what you don't
use...... I had been working with a man who taught as well as grew
bonsai, who slowly evolved into selling tools, pots, soil, wire, pre
bonsai and bonsai....he started going to several conventions a year. I
had worked with him for close to 9 years. He passed a way a couple of
months ago. His widow asked me if I wanted to buy the sifter. (he
had built a machine that sifted, using an electric motor). At first,
I said no, I didn't want to get into that. But then I thought it over
and said yes.

I did it because if I didn't buy it, I would be at the mercy of who
ever did buy it. I did it to make sure I always have soil, and what
ever I don't need for my own use, I will sell. His widow is including
all the sorces for material, as well as the recipe. One of the other
students said he would help out anytime I needed it.
I still dread the thought of it, but there are a large number of
bonsai folk in the area and if I make it, they will come........ If
you make it, they will come. Teacher sold it in "sandbags". They
hold about a 5 gal bucket full and that amount went for $15. It was
stored in large plastic garbage cans once it was mixed. My
understanding is that at that price, he did quite well with it and it
was in great demand.... Just a suggestion.
Regards, susieq

--
susieq
susieq's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...nfo&userid=810

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Tom Kehoe

John,

Down here in the sub-tropical zone of Florida, one common formula for bonsai
soil is one part sharp sand, one part turface, and one part "organic" --
generally a fine pine chip that is sieved from a product called "soil
conditioner." The product is nothing more than well-decayed pine mulch. I
sieve mine by hand using standard bonsai soil sieves.

Tom Kehoe

Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
John Dhom

Hey Susieq,

Yeah, I've had thoughts along those lines... if I can solve the problem with
obtaining/making sized organic component(s) better economy could be had in
quantity. I just hooked up with the Nashville Bonsai Society... I'll see how
many local people are interested.

Could you post description or picture(s) of the sieve machine? I've
considered a couple designs and would love to see something that is known to
work

Don't suppose you're close to the Nashville area? hint, hint

Best,
/jhd

Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
John Dhom

Hey Tom,

Sounds good. Can you post a brand name or two that you use/have used?

How many sizes do you get out of soil conditioner?

About what percentage of the soil conditioner is fines?

Best,
/jhd

How would you characterize the yield (approximately)?

Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Tom Kehoe

I was afraid you were going to ask that g. I'm not sure of the brand, the
product is simply called "Soil Conditioner," although the trademark is "The
Water Keeper." Billy, do you know the brand?

Most of the folks I know buy it locally at a place called Rockledge Gardens
in Rockledge, FL. It's about $3 for a bag that holds a couple of cubic
feet -- about the size of a bag of wood chips.

A LOT of it is fines. Out of the bag, I'll get maybe four gallons of useable
material, and 7-8 hallons of fines. That's not sunch a problem for me
because the fines do great things for the sandy soil around here. Because it
rains so much down here, I like soil that drains really fast, so I sift out
any organic particles smaller than 1/16 of an inch. I keep the particles in
the 1/16 -- 3/16 range. I do keep some fine stuff, say 1/32 -- 1/16, for
soil for my mame: Smaller trees, smaller pots, smaller soil.

BTW: Sifting a bag or two like this with a set of hand sieves is Really good
wrist exercise ....

tk

Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
John Dhom

Hey Tom,

thx info.

I'll find some locally and give it a try.

Best,
/jhd

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33

.. .