Old 20-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Kirby Johnson

Default begginer question

I recently wired a juniper (the common kind you get at the nursery)
about a month ago. It's a cascade style; the ends are doing fine, but
closer to the trunk I'm getting dead spots. I don't know if this could
be do to the weather (I doubt it because my other smaller trees are
thriving) or something else. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kirby
Old 20-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Iris Cohen

I recently wired a juniper (the common kind you get at the nursery) about a
month ago. It's a cascade style; the ends are doing fine, but closer to the
trunk I'm getting dead spots.

Where are you keeping it? If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, it should be
dormant.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 20-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Kitsune Miko

Inside the house or outside??

Kits
--- Kirby Johnson wrote:

im in zone 9? in texas.

Iris Cohen wrote:
I recently wired a juniper (the common kind you

get at the nursery) about a
month ago. It's a cascade style; the ends are

doing fine, but closer to the
trunk I'm getting dead spots.

Where are you keeping it? If you are in the

Northern Hemisphere, it should be
dormant.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self

defense." - Woody Allen

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 20-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Jim Lewis

On 20 Dec 2004 at 15:11, Kirby Johnson wrote:

I recently wired a juniper (the common kind you get at the nursery)
about a month ago. It's a cascade style; the ends are doing fine, but
closer to the trunk I'm getting dead spots.

On ALL branches? What percentage of the branch (50? 20???) is
going brown.

I don't know if this could
be do to the weather (I doubt it because my other smaller trees are
thriving) or something else. Any ideas?

Not weather in zone 9. How often do you water? As Iris says,
the tree should be dormant (even in z9) now. It will need much
less water, and junipers don't need much, anyway.

Did you repot?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 20-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Kirby Johnson

....I should have included more details.....

It is outsite, (I know that it would have no chance if it were in.) I
still have it in the nursery soil, I thought that that could be the
reason for the browning, but I haven't been overwatering. There is some
new growth at the tips but I just cant figure out whats going on with
the rest of the tree.

thanks,

kirby

Kitsune Miko wrote:
Inside the house or outside??

Kits
--- Kirby Johnson wrote:

im in zone 9? in texas.

Old 20-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Kirby Johnson

on the branches that cascade, 3 main, then their extremities. (there is
some green but more brown is developing, so about 50%?) I did re pot
from the plastic one I had gotten it in, to just a large ceramic one,
when I bought it a few months ago. I water ever couple of days,
sometimes less because of rain. I usualy wait till the soil is dry first.

This is my first winter taking care of my trees, and not being
experienced, its fairly nerve racking.

Old 20-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Jim Lewis

On 20 Dec 2004 at 21:30, Kirby Johnson wrote:

on the branches that cascade, 3 main, then their extremities. (there is
some green but more brown is developing, so about 50%?) I did re pot
from the plastic one I had gotten it in, to just a large ceramic one,
when I bought it a few months ago. I water ever couple of days,
sometimes less because of rain. I usualy wait till the soil is dry first.

I'd guess that (every 2 days) would be much too often at any
time, but especially at this time of year when they don't need
or use much water, and especially in the original nursery soil.

Test for dryness with a chopstick jammed half-way down to the
bottom of the pot. Remove it daily and test the stick for
moisture. If moist, don't water. If dry, water.

Overwatering may not be the cause of your problem (if you have
one), but despite Bonsai Today's recent article on watering,
overwatering IS the cause of death for too many beginner's
trees.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 20-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Alan Walker

Kirby: Check out the class on growing juniper bonsai at
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowle...s/juniper_nana
..html Developed by Herb Gustafson, I think you'll find it
informative.
Inner foliage of junipers often dies out if it is shaded
excessively by outer foliage. You probably need to do a lot of
pruning and pinching to develop shape and ramification along with
saving that innermost foliage.
Alan Walker

....I should have included more details.....

It is outsite, (I know that it would have no chance if it were
in.) I
still have it in the nursery soil, I thought that that could be
the
reason for the browning, but I haven't been overwatering. There
is some
new growth at the tips but I just cant figure out whats going on
with
the rest of the tree.
thanks,
Kirby

Kitsune Miko wrote:
Inside the house or outside??
Kits
--- Kirby Johnson wrote:
I'm in zone 9? in texas.

Old 21-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Iris Cohen

im in zone 9? in texas. BRBR

What conditions are you keeping the juniper in for the winter? Is it indoors or
outdoors?

begginer question Kirby Johnson Bonsai 0 20-12-2004 03:11 PM
begginer in need of help Davis Bonsai 9 31-08-2004 07:07 AM
[IBC] begginer in need of help Shaun Ludwig Bonsai 8 25-08-2004 02:26 PM
[IBC] Begginer with some questions! Jerry Meislik Bonsai 3 10-06-2003 03:56 PM
Begginer with some questions! AdamA Bonsai 0 10-06-2003 02:56 AM