Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood

A while ago there was some discussion of the difficulty of preserving
deadwood on bougainvillea.

While I do not have long experience with this, I have been having good
results in the past three years ( I agree too little time to be sure!) using
this technique:

1. Carve the wood to get rid of all traces of "punk" (soft, rotted wood)

2. Use a torch to char the wood (Shield live material from the heat.) This
will also help "age" the carving.

3. Wire brush to clean up the charred areas as desired.

4. Apply lime sulfur (tinted as desired).

5. After plenty of time to dry, (depends on weather and watering practicies)
generously apply Minwax wood hardener.

I suspect that the fire hardening may be key. It's an ancient way of making
wood more durable.

I have been doing this in New Jersey with trees that live indoors for the
winter. Florida may well simply be too moist.

Jim Smith has pointed out to me that some bougies (particularly the purple
ones) have harder wood than others. That may also be a factor. I have done
this on a purple one and on a pink pixie.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Stressed Juniper - deadwood/rot treatment planning Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 24-08-2005 02:08 PM
Stressed Juniper - deadwood/rot treatment planning John Dhom Bonsai 6 23-08-2005 10:53 PM
[IBC] bougie help Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 20-04-2005 03:35 PM
[IBC] Preserving Bougie deadwood Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 19-10-2004 05:40 AM
[IBC] Bougie bonsai trees Bonsai 3 17-09-2003 06:22 PM