Old 11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have tiptoed through this thread. Not sure anyone
mentioned nodes. In my experience with maples in
general is that they sprout readily at the internodes.
Seems they are programmed to do this. It is not
always easy to see internodes on a trident trunk
because they can be quite smooth, but if there are
really no internodes below the upper branches, you may
not get lower branches.

I have been fighting with a large trident for many
years trying to get branches in a bare spot. I have
inarch grafted and the graft lived for 3-4 years after
separation, then died. I am at the point where I may
just grow a new top, perhaps airlayering off the
present one.

Kits

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Steven Wachs

if there is such a diemma to establish lower branching then there is
probably the need to establish a new apex or at last force new growth. I am not
saying to remove the whole crown. Just removing a mall portion of the upper most
branch maybe enough to trigger growth.

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Alan Walker

I don't know why grafting should be a last resort. Most
of us (including me) are quite inept at this technique, so it
probably is a last resort for most, but that has more to do with
our lack of skill rather than lack of merit for the technique.
I think some circular reasoning is behind the defamation of
grafting. It's too hard, so I don't try it, so it remains too
hard. A change in attitude could open a very viable alternative!
If you're going to plant it in the ground and go wild a
while, why avoid grafting? Give it a try. What do you have to
lose?

Alan Walker

Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Theo

Alan Walker wrote:

I don't know why grafting should be a last resort. Most
of us (including me) are quite inept at this technique, so it
probably is a last resort for most, but that has more to do with
our lack of skill rather than lack of merit for the technique.
I think some circular reasoning is behind the defamation of
grafting. It's too hard, so I don't try it, so it remains too
hard. A change in attitude could open a very viable alternative!
If you're going to plant it in the ground and go wild a
while, why avoid grafting? Give it a try. What do you have to
lose?

I have done roots grafting and it worked
the first one I did 12 years ago
I have done a a contact grafting from a branch to his own crown
and it worked
I have done another grafting with an external plant to create a
branch on chopped tree ..
all that on the same ...... Trident maple :-)
this one :

http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/i...to&PhotoID=168

you can see half of his crown comes from a side branch lifted and
contact grafted to another one and than cut .. a bad cicatrization
...bombed plenty not wonderful , I turn the tree the others side and
nobody knows but me

The middle branch , the long one has been done by fastening a baby
maple to the trunk where has been chopped and left there rooting in
the same pot as the main trunk until the grafting took hold 2 years
later and then the lower part removed it is there since 10 years now
the root cannot be seen as removed few years later as I needed to
have the tree look taller so I started discovering trunk and roots and
had to remove that one

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Ante Busko

Does this work well for Japanese boxwood?

Tony Busko
Huntington Beach,CA
Old 12-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Steve wachs

i \\\i think Boxwoods respond well to this training. Most deciduooys trees and bradleaf type evergreens.

--
SteveW
Long Island NY