Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] Zelkova

Here's one for the "Don't Get Discouraged" department:
I've been growing this zelkova for at least 20 years. When I transplanted it this spring, it looked mighty sad. March came & went. April slid by. May dribbled on. Nothing. On June 5, I saw green.
When I looked this morning, It had 1/4" leaves all over it. I can't tell you how I feel ... you already know!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Marty Haber wrote:

Here's one for the "Don't Get Discouraged" department:
I've been growing this zelkova for at least 20 years. When I
transplanted it this spring, it looked mighty sad. March came & went.
April slid by. May dribbled on. Nothing. On June 5, I saw green.
When I looked this morning, It had 1/4" leaves all over it. I can't
tell you how I feel ... you already know!

Had a similar experience with a flowering apricot except I've only had
it a year. After bringing i out of winter storage I waited for it to
leaf out. It started to just last week. I'd just about given up. Now
it's covered in leaves.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Pauline Muth

Hi
I have two very nice Zelkova brooms....they are always the last to leaf
out...has been so for the last 12 years...I always hold my breath with them.
One summer one of them did not leaf out until the end of June.
As a general principle I always keep apparently dead trees for a
year...surprises do happen.
Pauline Muth

Here's one for the "Don't Get Discouraged" department:
I've been growing this zelkova for at least 20 years. When I transplanted
it this spring, it looked mighty sad. March came & went. April slid by.
May dribbled on. Nothing. On June 5, I saw green.
When I looked this morning, It had 1/4" leaves all over it. I can't tell
you how I feel ... you already know!

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Marty Haber

I always keep"dead" trees for a year says Pauline.
Me too. I call it the morgue; and it does have some surprises. Besides the
zelkova, this year there was a Chinese elm among the living dead.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Pauline Muth

as least the trees finally decide to wake up....
Pauline F Muth
pfm bonsai studio
7 Western Avenue
West Charlton NY 12010

518 882 1039

Old 10-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Steve wachs

A few years ago I was given this old a Zelkova. I t was styled much , and an airlayer of the main trunk was needed.The tree was in a greenhouse over the winter. The tree died , but the airlayer which was still attached to the tree lived and rooted over the winter
SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Scott Roberts

....snip

In Phoenix, my Wisteria was last to leaf out. My
Zelkova
beat it to the punch, and now it's too hot to leaf
prune
the Zelkova so I'm just trimming until our second
growing
season in Oct.

Scott
Phoenx, zone 11....million

[...]