Old 07-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Nartker

Default Lots of Tomatoes, No chance to ripen

I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2005, 05:21 PM
James

Get some cheap clear plastic drop clothes. The real thin ones may cost
a couple bucks for 9X12. Cover your tomatoes. Make sure to weigh down
the plastic so it don't blow away.

I didn't have much luck picking green tomatoes and trying to have them
ripen indoors. Most rotted.

You might have to learn to like fried green tomatoes.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:24 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
" Nartker" wrote:

I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

Move the plants inside into a nice sunny window.
The plants will die, but the fruit will ripen!

You could use big buckets of just water rather than pots of soil.

I've accidently broken off fruiting branches and just stuck them into
vases. The fruit on them ripened as the vine sections slowly died.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:30 AM
TQ

" Nartker" wrote in message
I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

When did you plant them?
How many days does it take for them to mature?
Do they get at least 10 hours of sun per day?
When's the average date of your first frost?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
The Cook

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:28:56 -0500, " Nartker"
wrote:

I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

IIRC our tomatoes ripened until first frost. But if you think that
they will not, look for mature green ones. Mature ones will have a
yellowish star on the blossom end. Pick them and wrap in newspaper
and store in a cool dark place. Do not make too many layers.

We did this when first frost was in November (average 11/15) and would
still have tomatoes at Christmas, sometimes longer. You have to keep
checking them and quickly get rid of any that are going bad.
--
Susan N.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Lynn

Great idea! I was going to suggest making chow or something but I think I
will try this myself
--
Lynn
OF+HOF

Old 27-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Jim Thomas

Nartker wrote:
I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

If the other ideas on this newsgroup don't help, try fried green
tomatoes (lots of recipes on the net). Fried in a litle olive or canola
oil (healthy), they're great!.

Jim Thomas

Old 27-09-2005, 06:52 PM
~patches~

Jim Thomas wrote:

Nartker wrote:

I have lots of tomatoes, set and on the vine. However the night time
temperatures are now in the mid 50's and are often in the 40's. Nothing
has happened in 2 weeks.

Any solutions? The nights are getting colder and the days are shorter and
harvest prospects are diminishing.

Thanks

If the other ideas on this newsgroup don't help, try fried green
tomatoes (lots of recipes on the net). Fried in a litle olive or canola
oil (healthy), they're great!.

Jim Thomas

I sympathize with the OP. I have lots of green tomatoes that arn't
co-operating because of the cooler night temps. I normally pick any
green ones before first frost and let them ripen indoors and in the
greenhouse when I run out of space. Salsa verde isn't bad if you need
something else to make with them. I haven't tried fried green tomatoes
yet but might this year. I planted 31 tomato plants with a few extras
in the greenhouse. I may need to figure out how to use up the extras
Old 27-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Argo

Here's what my mother taught me and it works just fine.

Harvest the tomatoes (all of them) on a dry day when the fruits are
dry. Wrap each tomato individually in a torn-to-size bit of newspaper.
Stack the wrapped tomatoes in a dark cupboard.

Then check regularly for degree of ripeness and to remove any that go
bad.

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com

Old 28-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Romy Beeck

Last year i took my unripe tomatos and put them in a cardboard box and
covered them up with a towl and they ripened very well