Old 21-08-2005, 11:53 AM
compo

Default How to ripen tomatoes?

Hi gang,

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

--
Cheers,
Compo - Nothing ventured, nothing failed. (Ian Dury)
Old 21-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Glittery Gary

"compo" wrote in message
Hi gang,

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

--
Cheers,
Compo - Nothing ventured, nothing failed. (Ian Dury)

its Green Tom chutney this year then.........

Old 21-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie

The message
from compo contains these words:

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

Mine aren't ripening here in Norfolk - so much nearer the equator - and
many other gardeners here are commenting on the unripening of tomatoes.

Leave them as long as you can, then, keeping them on the truss, put the
ripest-looking on (say) a window sill indoors and they will gradually
ripen.

Others may be put in plastic bags with a ripe banana and the gas given
off (can't unforget what it is) will help accelerate ripening. You can
stagger this process and still have ripe tomatoes at Christmas.

However - don't leave the banana in the bag so long that it goes squodgy
and starts the tomatoes rotting...

I think melons have the same effect, but using them tends to be prodigal
on bags - unless you grow the melons yourself, and up in Caithness this
year they might be of a comparative size to yer martyrs innit.

--

,,,
}»«üüüü(@
Old 21-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Eleni

"compo" wrote in message
Hi gang,

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

--
Cheers,
Compo - Nothing ventured, nothing failed. (Ian Dury)

Ripening bananas (and apples as well I believe, but I've only used bananas)
promote ripening in other nearby fruits. I've hung bananas on my tomato
plants before and it's worked well.

Eleni.

Old 21-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Alan Holmes

"Glittery Gary" wrote in message

"compo" wrote in message
Hi gang,

We have had a dreadful summer in the far north of Scotland, a bad
depression in the Norwegian sea causing cool northerly winds and low
cloud throughout July and some of August. As a result the tomatoes in
my polytunnel are reluctant to ripen.

How can I encourage the hard green fruits to ripen on the vine at this
late stage of summer?

--
Cheers,
Compo - Nothing ventured, nothing failed. (Ian Dury)

its Green Tom chutney this year then.........

You wouldn't care to tell me how to make it?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 21-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie" wrote
compo contains these words:

[...]

Glad to hear it, I was beginning to think we were getting our Tomatoes
stolen from our allotment as we hadn't got one fully ripe one yet. Seems
it's the weather then.
Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk! Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]
Glad to hear it, I was beginning to think we were getting our

Tomatoes
stolen from our allotment as we hadn't got one fully ripe one yet.
Seems it's the weather then.
Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk!

Hear, hear! As far as I'm concerned the stuff is even more wasteful
than throwing them on the heap. I once made an experimental batch of
very hot pickle with Indian flavours which wasn't too bad, but it
didn't seem worth it.

Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

Don't you ripen them indoors? Lawrence D. Hills memorably said a
picked tomato was "as full of life as a fertile egg". It works quite
well; but I don't suppose it's worth bothering if you have plenty of
normally-ripened ones.

--
Mike.

Old 21-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

/snip/

Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk! Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

wail!

Pity you're so far away! I'd come and collect them!

Green tomato chutney (properly made - and my recipe has a lot more
ingredients than the one ^ up there) is easily the equal of a good mango
chutney.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]
Glad to hear it, I was beginning to think we were getting our

Tomatoes
stolen from our allotment as we hadn't got one fully ripe one yet.
Seems it's the weather then.
Green Tomato chutney you can keep, yuk!

Hear, hear! As far as I'm concerned the stuff is even more wasteful
than throwing them on the heap. I once made an experimental batch of
very hot pickle with Indian flavours which wasn't too bad, but it
didn't seem worth it.

Any that don't ripen go on the
compost heap here.

Don't you ripen them indoors? Lawrence D. Hills memorably said a
picked tomato was "as full of life as a fertile egg". It works quite
well; but I don't suppose it's worth bothering if you have plenty of
normally-ripened ones.

--
Mike.

We are now in the ripened glut situation here at Nanneys Bridge.
Much being converted to soup and then into in to the freezer.
We did try tomato sauce once but it was a dead loss.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 21-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Green Tomato Chutney
The Hinge Recipe:

Vegetarian-friendly

Ingredients:

¼lb root ginger
8-10 chillies
1 tablespoon of ground black peppercorns
1 teaspoon of crushed juniper berries
1 dessertspoon of cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds

1 teaspoon of ground allspice
1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
½pound of (preferably) fresh dates, chopped
6 bananas, sliced thinly
4lb green tomatoes, sliced thinly
2lb cooking apples, cored and sliced.
2 lbs thinly-sliced runner beans
8oz Lexia raisins, chopped
4 oz sultanas, coarsly chopped
2lb shallots, chopped finely
4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
2 tsp sea salt
1½lb brown sugar
1 pint pickling-strength vinegar

Method
1. Chop the ginger and the chillies, and put it in a muslin bag with
the juniper berries, cardamoms and fennel seeds.
2. Place all the other ingredients except the beans in a preserving pan
and suspend the muslin bag among them.
3. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, and
simmer (for at least two hours) until the desired consistency is
reached.
4. Add the beans and simmer for another ten minutes.
5. Remove the muslin bag. With a wooden spoon and a wire strainer,
force as much of the contents of the bag through as a purée, and add to
the chutney.
6. Pour into hot sterilised jars, leave the lid on loosely for one
minute, then screw down, and label the jars when cool enough.

Old 21-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter Stockdale wrote:
[...]
We are now in the ripened glut situation here at Nanneys Bridge.
Much being converted to soup and then into in to the freezer.
We did try tomato sauce once but it was a dead loss.

Ah, you're talking to the former store-sauce-and chutney prince of
West Wales. In what way a dead loss?

--
Mike.

Old 21-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Peter Stockdale wrote:
[...]
We are now in the ripened glut situation here at Nanneys Bridge.
Much being converted to soup and then into in to the freezer.
We did try tomato sauce once but it was a dead loss.

Ah, you're talking to the former store-sauce-and chutney prince of
West Wales. In what way a dead loss?

I was wondering that - I used to make ace tomato sauce. I've
lost/forgotten the recipe though.

Old 21-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:
[...]
We are now in the ripened glut situation here at Nanneys Bridge.
Much being converted to soup and then into in to the freezer.
We did try tomato sauce once but it was a dead loss.

Ah, you're talking to the former store-sauce-and chutney prince of
West Wales. In what way a dead loss?

--
Mike.

AFAICR it wouldn't thicken up - ended up more like a weak tomato juice.
ISTR that tomato puree was an ingredient in the recipe - bit of a cheat
AFAIAC.
My " chef du range" does a super soup though !!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 21-08-2005, 07:19 PM
David W.E. Roberts

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:02:13 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

snip recipe

All looks very interesting, but the green tomatoes seem to be a fairly
minor ingredient.

More "if you're making chutney then you can sling some green tomatoes in"
than "here is a cheap and easy way to use up green tomatoes".

BTW the tomatoes in pots growing outside near Reading are ripening very
well, thank you.

The cucumbers and courgettes are also doing pretty well.

Almost OT - I have a large crop of small tomato plants in Suffolk; I
threw last year's compost out of the tubs onto the garden and loads of
seeds have germinated.

Not much chance of any fruit, though.

Cheers
Dave R
Old 21-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter Stockdale wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Peter Stockdale wrote:
[...]
We are now in the ripened glut situation here at Nanneys Bridge.
Much being converted to soup and then into in to the freezer.
We did try tomato sauce once but it was a dead loss.

Ah, you're talking to the former store-sauce-and chutney prince of
West Wales. In what way a dead loss?

--
Mike.

AFAICR it wouldn't thicken up - ended up more like a weak tomato
juice. ISTR that tomato puree was an ingredient in the recipe - bit
of a cheat AFAIAC.
My " chef du range" does a super soup though !!

OK, best practice is to peel and seed the tomatoes, and let them
drain -- there's hardly any flavour in the watery juice anyway. For
ketchup-type sauces, you push through a sieve, so it's not so
important to get rid of the seeds (not the blender: cracking the
seeds gives an unpleasant off taste, as found in other people's
gazpacho).

--
Mike.