Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default Watering Tomatoes

writes:
[snip]

You might want to give them natural light during the day since you only
have a few. I don't know if the lights in your bath are strong enough
unless they are just inches above your plants.

I'm doing something a bit different this year with the babies. As soon as
the first plants (started in peat pellets) were 3/4-1-inch tall, I started
moving them into larger peat pots filled with starting soil. They are all
in standard nursery trays which makes the next step a bit easier. Each
morning, I take the trays outside and put them in a raised bed with an old
storm window over them - a makeshift cold frame - and bring them in at
night. This way they get the full daylight (sunshine isn't the right word
for our area!) during the day. It seems to be working very well as, so
far, nothing is getting leggy (or leaning to one side) and all plants look
healthy.

Interestingly, the cauliflower was the first to sprout, tomatoes next.
Even basil is growing like this; it didn't grow at all before for me. I
started with one tray of plantings, three seeds in each pellet, six
pellets of each, so now have 18 plants of each that I planted, figure
that's a great sprout rate.

I'll report back later as to whether this is working. One thing for
certain they shouldn't need any hardening off to plant them when the time
comes as they will already be semi-hardened. It's a lot of extra effort
with regard to moving them, but still less than walking a dog. g

So, Seth, you might try setting them outside during the day for that extra
light, depending, of course, on non-30s temps. If you daytime temperature
is at least 10 degrees above freezing at all times, it might be okay.

On another note, has anyone thought of trying mirrors to help maximize the
light from the grow lights used for starting seeds? Any thoughts as to
whether it would be effective?

Glenna

Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

The other day it was below 40 and windy but my car that was sitting in
the sun had 80 inside .

Last winter I had plastic cover over my elephant garlic. Grew some
monsters. Got lazy this winter and the garlic are less than 4 inches
tall.

I got a bunch of free used storm windows but just too lazy to set up
the cold frames. Easier to whine and beg from other gardeners for
their excess.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Seth

Well, It has been about 9 days since I transplanted them. They are
doing great. They have grown a good bit. But I notice on two of them,
that the leaves were curling and had very faint dark spots on them. I
read that it could be a phosphorus deficiency. I want to try to fix
it before it becomes a serious problem.

Thanks for the input

Seth

Watering Tomatoes Norman Australia 4 06-12-2004 01:15 PM
watering tomatoes wit THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 08-08-2004 11:28 PM
watering tomatoes with plastic bottles gregpresley Gardening 7 07-08-2004 04:08 PM
Self-Watering Tomatoes Barbara B United Kingdom 0 03-06-2004 12:08 PM
Drip Watering Tomatoes Fat Freddy Edible Gardening 9 27-05-2003 05:56 AM