Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

Default what kind of vegetable would you recommend to grow in front yard?

In article . com,
"Mark" wrote:

The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

Kohl Rabi are a novelty. Beetroot. Silver beet or coloured chard.
The gold nugget pumpkins grow on a clumping bush not a trailing vine,
and it's large leaves with golden fruit is attractive. Pole beans,
especially coloured ones. Strawberries would look okay in a sunny spot.
Rhubarb, too. Passionfruit. Not all these are vegetables, but they are
edible.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
squeezeweasel

Mark wrote:
The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

I grow Tumbler tomatoes, peppers and courgettes in my front garden,
right by the front door, in pots. I've also got three large containers
of mixed salad out there. They're actually really pretty, and with a
few pots of flowers mixed among them, the look great. Squash (including
courgettes) have lovely flowers, and a friend of my mother's actually
trains squash around her front door. They look absolutely beautiful
when they fruit, too.

Failing that, what about a herb bed or a pretty container full of them?
A lot of thymes are really decorative, chives have lovely flowers, sage
is pretty...to stop the mint and parsley getting out of control, I grow
my herbs in a large butler sink (with some gravel in the bottom the
plug hole is perfectly adequate drainage) I rescued from a skip.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

Old 15-06-2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mark wrote:

The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

I suppose that it depends upon how obnoxious your HOA contract
is, and how desperately your neighbours are clutching their
interpersonal dominance-games (and their sphincters.)

Have you reviewed your HOA contract which decrees the acceptable
colour/brand of toilet paper... Uh, wait, I mean... which states
the acceptable street-appearance of "your" front lawn?

Or maybe it is really THEIR lawn, since they control it?

Anyway, I suspect that strawberries, courgettes/zucchinis, and
herbs might be OK.

Personally, I cannot imagine hassling a neighbour for visible
vegetables.

But, in your shoes, I would look carefully at the contract. I
mean, who knows? They might be control-freaks who will fine you
for anything except grass. Which you will keep to a specified
length, etc.

A real risk: Some dork neighbour blows all of their money on a
house they can't afford, plus cigarettes, junk-food, etc. And
then bitterly resents you for showing evidence of a proper diet,
etc. NOT a fun prospect, especially since those types generally
don't have any productive pursuits to distract them from
resenting/bullying you. And maybe being on the HOA board, as a
busy-body who will assert his/her authoriTAH.

A really, really BAD IDEA is to directly tell that person that
you *don't* wanna be their personal fffwwwwwiiiiieeeennnnnddd.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/
Old 15-06-2006, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Mark wrote:
The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

I second Okra. It's tall and have nice flowers.

Scarlett Runner Beans, Hyacinth Beans also have nice flowers.

Prickly Pear Cactus

Figs.

Old 16-06-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Richard

"James" wrote in news:1150363633.495436.168110
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Mark wrote:
The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

I second Okra. It's tall and have nice flowers.

Scarlett Runner Beans, Hyacinth Beans also have nice flowers.

Prickly Pear Cactus

Figs.

I'd add peppers (bell and hot) to the list. And if the HOA says something,
you can always say 'Well, they were *supposed* to be the ornamental
christmas light type peppers. I guess someone at the big box store swapped
tags on me, I'll have to give them a piece of my mind, thank you"

Old 16-06-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Eric Lawson

Be aware that ripe vegetables are targets for thieves.

I grow habanero peppers along the sidewalk up to my front door.
They were targeted only one time. :-)

Old 17-06-2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation

As Ms. Periwinkle stated, your Plant Hardiness Zone would be
useful information to us

I am not sure the level of Hardiness Zone that ****es the .homeowner
asscociation, but I think if I plant corn, that can make them ****ed
off, but the cucumber or turnip may keep them happy for a while?

The point I think is that if they do not understand what plant it is ,
that may keep the happy, but the moment they recognize the corn or
tomato which is real easy even for the guys from the homeowner Ass Os
Sia Tion yus tomato, they will jump all over me.

I wouild not be swupprised to wake up and see the burning cross between
strawberry and potato.

Good Luck, Everybody

Jim Carter wrote:
On 5 Jun 2006 13:32:20 -0700, "Mark"
wrote:

What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

As Ms. Periwinkle stated, your Plant Hardiness Zone would be
useful information to us.

Some determinant tomato plants might be decorative beside the
front door walkway.

Be aware that ripe vegetables are targets for thieves.

Old 20-06-2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

"Mark" writes:
The point I think is that if they do not understand what plant it is ,
that may keep the happy, but the moment they recognize the corn or
tomato which is real easy even for the guys from the homeowner Ass Os
Sia Tion yus tomato, they will jump all over me.

Buy a couple of dozen gaudy plastic hibiscus, lily, or rose blooms and
fasten them to your corn stalks or over your potato plants!! That should
flummox the ignorant busybodies!