Old 19-12-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JRY JRY is offline

Default recipie for homemade organic fertilizer

Anyone want to share their recipe for homemade organic fertilizer ?
Now that winter is here in zone5, I want to plan my garden out while I
wait for the warm weather to return.
Thanks everyone

Jerome

Old 20-12-2006, 10:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JRY wrote:
Anyone want to share their recipe for homemade organic fertilizer ?
Now that winter is here in zone5, I want to plan my garden out while I
wait for the warm weather to return.
Thanks everyone

Jerome

There's nothing much better than liquid fertilizer made from nettles,
comfrey, or, best of all, a mix of the two. Just throw the leaves in a
rain barrel, or any kind of sealed container with a tap, throw in some
water (I fill the barrel 1/4 full with leaves, then fill with water),
leave it a month or so to rot down - the resulting liquid is the best
thing you can put on any organic garden - juust be sure to stay
downwind of the barrel, it smells awful!

Urine is wonderful too, if you're not shy. (o:

Gilly

Old 20-12-2006, 10:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JRY wrote:
Anyone want to share their recipe for homemade organic fertilizer ?
Now that winter is here in zone5, I want to plan my garden out while I
wait for the warm weather to return.
Thanks everyone

Jerome

There's nothing much better than liquid fertilizer made from nettles,
comfrey, or, best of all, a mix of the two. Just throw the leaves in a
rain barrel, or any kind of sealed container with a tap, throw in some
water (I fill the barrel 1/4 full with leaves, then fill with water),
leave it a month or so to rot down - the resulting liquid is the best
thing you can put on any organic garden - just be sure to stay downwind

Old 20-12-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

JRY wrote:
Anyone want to share their recipe for homemade organic fertilizer ?
Now that winter is here in zone5, I want to plan my garden out while I
wait for the warm weather to return.
Thanks everyone

Jerome

Remember BS, MS, PhD

Bullshit, MoreShit, Piled high & Dried.

If you have horse owners within commuiting distance, just collect all
the free manure you can and use liberally. Some horse owners post on
Craigslist under FREE. You might luck out and get aged manure that is
alread piled high & dried.

Uncomposted horse manure may contain live weed seeds.

Chicken houses are another of good free fertilizer.

Old 26-12-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
If you have horse owners within commuiting distance, just collect all
the free manure you can and use liberally. Some horse owners post on
Craigslist under FREE. You might luck out and get aged manure that is
alread piled high & dried.

Andy writes:
Or you can just have a free punk rock concert where you want your
garden to be. Between the pee, poop, and vomit, you should achieve
the results you want. ..... and you may get some free marijuana shoots
next spring as a bonus...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 26-12-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Andy writes:
Or you can just have a free punk rock concert where you want your
garden to be. Between the pee, poop, and vomit, you should achieve
the results you want. ..... and you may get some free marijuana shoots
next spring as a bonus...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Not a good idea because all the traffic would leave your garden area
too compacted.

Better to offer sewer sucking services a pit to empty their trucks. Or
if you're in chicken country, take some of the waste from chicken
packing plants and till into your soil.